Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2015 8:08:42 PM EDT
I live in SC and after many years of deer hunting I have finally landed on a piece of hunting property that has a serious hog problem. Game cameras are showing us what has been eating massive quantities of our bait corn; so it is time for a little hog eradication. Of course we will put the meat to good use when we kill'em.

Anyway, I have a question about optics. I own two AR's in 5.56, but neither one has any optics on it and I need something that would be suitable for hog hunting and not break the bank. Being a real novice when it comes to AR optics, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you set up stands, most of your shots will be around 50 yards so major magnification isn't necessary. I use a Leupold 1-4x Hog Plex which retails around $229 but wait for a sale with free shipping and you can get less than $200. There is a similar version with an illuminated dot for in the $400's.

Also don't get into a hurry to down one when they come in to feed. Once they put their snouts to the ground and start eating, you can just about dance in your stand before they scare. I once closed the bolt on my AR, 15 feet up,  the hogs were 35 yards away and they never flinched. Just wait until the one you want turns broadside to you, take your time, and then pop it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you already have stands setup on the feeders?  If so, what distance?

If you permanent stands set up already, then I'll +1 the 50 yard shooting lane suggestion above.  That plus a good red dot should have you on the money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses. Yes, our stands are set up already. We had no idea the hogs were in there, deer was our main object. Now that the hogs have found the corn, they seem to be keeping the deer run off. So we are having to deal with them first. Our lanes are between 50 to 75 yards. Problem is, my eyesight isn't what it used to be and once the light gets low I have a difficult time seeing through the open sights on my AR's. Having never used the type optic you mentioned, right price range by the way, will that help me see better or should I consider something else? I use a Bushnell Elite 4200 with a Firefly reticle on my .270 for deer hunting and it serves me well in low light. Just need something that can help me in that area. If I could see better, I would just use iron sights, but already missed one using that method.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
For 50-75yds you shouldn't need much magnification, and Bushnell and others offer illuminated reticle options within your price range, if you believe the illuminated reticle helps you get on target.

You could use your 270 with the Bushnell Elite Firefly on it, no flies on that for hog hunting from a stand. I think the AR's are more useful when stalking sounders at night, where multiple quick shots are likely.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]
1-4 power illuminated on my pig guns. One is a Millett, the other is Primary Arms. If you are hunting at night, make sure to get green light for gun or put up green feeder light. Red dot works good after dark, but I had problems seeing the dot in bright sun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]
cheap adjustable compact scopes and red dot sights are numerous and useful for short range hog hunting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#7]
With 556, go for a central nervous system shot, head neck. If you vital shoot them, they'll run and it's 50/50 if you recover the carcass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the info. Still have not decided on what to get but the I feel more informed now and will make my selection soon. I am looking forward to taking my first wild hog and tasting the rewards of my efforts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Vortex crossfire II hog hunter. 3-12 x 56  You can also get a green varmint light mounted on your gun if your allowed to use them in your area.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Great information! Thank You!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top