Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 6:18:34 PM EDT
Well night hog hunting with center fire firearms is a no go for about 6 more months but rim fire is ok. So I'm thinking of trying to use a rim fire rifle. I've seen videos of air rifle kills so why not a 22 lr.

Hunting will be from an elevated stand so there will be no stalking involved.

I know it would have to be a well placed shot but I would think it is doable.
Questions are
1. What would be the maximum range. I'll probably find a hyper velocity round to use but have as of yet haven't researched it.

2. What ammo would be best?

3. If not 22 LR what rim fire cartridge would work better?

Thanks

Edit

This is rifle I'm planning on using.
Ruger 10/22 in Troy chassis with 16" integrally suppressed barrel.
Can set up with NV or thermal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My preference would be a CCI Standard Velocity, non-hollow point through the brain.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I know of a guy that claims he hunts hogs with a .22 mag lever action.  He says it does great if you shoot them behind the ear.  I wonder about the hogs being still enough to get that accurate of a shot placement.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've killed plenty of hogs for slaughter with a .22LR.

Only one out in the woods.  First shot took him down for about  10 secs.  I had to use the second magazine for the 10/22 to put it down a second time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the CCI standard velocity if you want to stay silent.  If you don't care about the crack, I like the Velocitor.  It is a hot round, but still has  a heavy bullet that penetrates better than Stingers in my experience.  This round will penetrate the brain stem out to 100 yards if you can place it there.

I've killed tons of hogs with regular bulk pack 22lr.  It isn't the best, but if it's all you have in the truck when you see hogs, it's better than letting them live.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I know it took 3 subsonic 22s to the head for me to kill a possum. Hogs are tougher. If I was going to shoot them with a rimfire, I would use my bolt action marlin 22 mag. and I'd use the most powerful CCI hollow points I could find for penetration and max damage. I'd try a head shot if I thought I could pull it off, other wise chest and try to be quick on the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have zero experience shooting hogs with a rimfire, but if your are going to use a 22lr then I have to think a std velocity non hollow point would be the best choice, behind the ear into the brain through the less tough back door, or behind the ear to the skull/spine joint.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Why?

Do you not have ANY centerfire rifle?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?

Do you not have ANY centerfire rifle?
View Quote

You must read the post before you reply
no center fire for about 6 more months only rim allowed right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm  not to worried about noise as the impact of a subsonic 22lr is loud enough to scatter hogs.

Maybe a 22 magnum would be better. I can probably find a decent bolt gun fairly cheap. But if I don't need to spend the money it would be better for my bank account.

I think behind the ear is going to be best.

I have feeder setup about 50 yards from my stand so that will be distance to target.

I'm going to Darlington for the races this weekend so next weekend I may give it a try.

I will keep y'all updated.

Thanks for replies
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top