BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2015 3:04:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:50:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Suggestions, don't roll it?

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
When I joined the Marines and got to the FLeet, they were JUST phasing those out (mid 2001) as the fast attack vehicle, and used humvee's as a stopgap until we got the Interim fast attack vehicle (IFAV).

Big thing is make sure you have enough shit packed in it, or add ballast if you don't to keep the rear end weighted down so the tires don't "tuck under" and flip it. I never got to drive them, but it was a big deal to make sure this was done.  As an IFAV driver that was one of the main training points that you DIDN'T have to do that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure the ones the Bn had were A1's and had the upgrades, the ballast thing might have just been a institutional memory carry over and not really needed.  

They are definitely freaking cool!  I was on a working party taking stuff to DRMO, got to see the last of the MUTT's crushed flat in a pile.   Probably about 200 of them.

Like Humvee's drmo couldn't sell them to the civvie market because they were not DOT legal (by any stretch of the imagination)

ETA- Googling around, they were M151A2 FAV's,

I'd like to build one out one day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea. The M1511's that replaced them were a lot faster and WAY more stable.  

On the flip side they were NOT a jeep LOL.  It's funny though, that the Growler that replaced the IFAV looks a LOT like an M151.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Great idea for a hog hunting vehicle.  The US Military had a IR illuminator they used on the M151 series that looked and mounted similar to the blackout drive light.  A couple of these would probably work real well on the front fenders.  

I use my M151A1 for transportation at 3 gun matches.  You guys may have even seen it at the Rockcastle Pro Am a few years back. Complete with "ballast."  :)

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#10]
First vehicles vehicle I drove in the Army. My CO loved off-roading so every field problem I got to put it through the paces, no modifications. Very capable as is. Sure wish I could afford to buy one.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
That's going to end up being a sweet hunting rig!  Might think about some mounted steps for people riding in the back. Muddy and wet it can be challenging to load back up in the back with gear. That's the only thing I hate about my old fj.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure its gonna be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
A 320 Pan/Tilt thermal is just as functional for detection as a 640 is, the cost of the 640 is hardly worth it for detection as they both will see coyotes/hogs out a mile and you can use your other thermal/NV weapon/handheld gear for proper ID.

The Flir M-324 Pan/Tilt on my UTV costs half that of an identical 640 system and have it hooked up to mini-DVR all the time too, plus it is built for extreme duty use on yachts, completely waterproof, dust proof, mud proof, shock proof, etc., has been a hell of a game changer out in the woods at night on the move or using it as a stand.

I have the FoxPro TruckPro E-caller mounted on the hood too and the coyotes will come right up after I detect them a half mile out. You can pretty much ID anything within a quarter mile with the 320 anyhow. Just a thought if you want to save some bucks on the Pan/Tilt thermal to put to good use elsewhere.

And Larson Electronics in Texas also makes some awesome 850nm IR lights too! Highly recommend them, all mil-spec.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
That jeep will be a sweet ride, Ed, should be quite a fun project. Plus no glass to interfere with thermal or shooting direction either!

Pay close attention to the space requirements for the remote Pan/Tilt thermal install too, there is allot of requirements to consider once you decide on the unit you want to get and the accessories that go with it (there is a shitload of accessories as you can imagine for an expensive yacht install).

I did my install myself, a professional yacht installer quoted me $1,500 for just the install, it is a job to consider all the variety of electrical components and getting them properly hooked up and situated space wise for easy use. There are allot of options, it took me two months talking to FLIR Marine before I decided on what I needed, could afford, and would fit properly for my utilitarian "land yacht" use. They even have I-Phone apps and a wireless broadcast system if you want that. A central computer actual runs the Pan/Tilt off an Ethernet cable, you can program it to do many different things.

Main thing is to install a battery isolater from your main starter battery to an auxiliary battery to run all the IR/NV gear when the motor is off. I put a 35A/hr gel battery in the front and run all the thermal/NV/ FoxPro TruckPro gear off that and leave all other lights, accessories, etc. off the ignition switch. The auxiliary battery will power all the thermal/NV/E-caller for 12 hours before getting down to 12.4 volts, works just excellent and then charges back up on the way home. Be sure to install voltage meters so you don't get stranded and know the state of the batteries.

The people at FLIR Marine were excellent to talk to, as were some yacht owner friends here in Florida who use them on their yachts offshore....
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
The Wi-Fi broadcast option is a small 12 volt Wi-Fi amp that broadcasts the FLIR video signal to your I-Phone/I-Pad via an App that allows you to see and control the Pan/Tilt up to a hundred plus yards away from the unit, so you can walk around inside your yacht and see the thermal video where ever you are.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I like old jeep builds and I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes along. I seem to keep my UTV's in the shop anymore so I splurged and bought a wrangler with a Hard top and AC. What do you think you will have cost wise in the mechanical restore?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Fwiw, there are 24v to 12v marine battery chargers available to keep your 12v battery for your thermal charged.

JPK
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Very cool.

They were around at Camp Geiger when I went through infantry school but none at my straight leg infantry unit. Just CuCV and a soft early hummer.

Later I got in the guard and they still had AMC ones. I only drove them a couple times before they were yanked.   I transfer to an MP unit and they were literally already loaded on flat beds for turn in.  Like the M1 helmet I just missed on.  I chuckle at the young soldiers bitching about the modern helmet system. Try going back to a web liner for the cranial irritation.   That said I'm glad I never got to test any helmet against an IED.

ETA to get back on topic I'd look real hard at tearing out every brake line and replacing it.  In NY salty road country you know you get about ten years out of them.  I have no idea how long they hold up in the unsalty but humid south. You say you have rust though.   Much easier to do brake lines without crap in the way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Very cool, looking forward to seeing it morph into a super hogmobile!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big thing is make sure you have enough shit packed in it, or add ballast if you don't to keep the rear end weighted down so the tires don't "tuck under" and flip it. I never got to drive them, but it was a big deal to make sure this was done.  As an IFAV driver that was one of the main training points that you DIDN'T have to do that.
View Quote

No one ever thought to add limit straps?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Ed, Flir has a rebate on their Pan/Tilts until the end of the year!

It can take a licking and keep on ticking as it is totally waterproof, dust proof, mud proof, shock proof, vibration proof, etc, etc, etc., ie it is a kickass hardcore instrument.

Anyhow, when I purchased mine from Flir RayMarine, they had a rebate on it and FLIR sent me a check for $1K back after I installed it.

They have the same program going on now until the end of the year if anyone is interested in adding thermal to a vehicle:

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=13331

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great question, I don't know what they thought or didn't, only what the talking points were 14 years ago for a vehicle that was being phased out right as I was coming in.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#32]
There are A LOT of options to choose from, best to download the manuals and look over the specs before attempting to order one as it will take significant time and energy to determine which setup is best for your purposes.....I talked to FLIR for over a month back and forth before I finally decided on which one would serve my application best. It is a learning experience just figuring that out!

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Any updated progress?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IDK, before my time.  They phased them out right before I hit the fleet and replaced them with Hummers until the IFAV program came online to fill the gap for a FAV that could fit in -53's.  

We were hoping to get bad ass DPV's (there were border patrol style buggies in the motor pool for awhile), instead we got gangstered out Mercedes.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Weather is warm and sunny- you guys have either M151 on the road now?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

#1 is within days of being ready. Engine and transmission rebuilt and back in.
Custom trailer for it just needs fenders on it and I can go register it.
Mutt mostly just needs new exhaust, batteries, and fluids before we fire it up and adjust everything
Waiting on some small parts like fuel filters; it's amazing how much people modified in order to keep it running over the years. Trying to restore to stock as much as possible, at least on this first one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weather is warm and sunny- you guys have either M151 on the road now?

#1 is within days of being ready. Engine and transmission rebuilt and back in.
Custom trailer for it just needs fenders on it and I can go register it.
Mutt mostly just needs new exhaust, batteries, and fluids before we fire it up and adjust everything
Waiting on some small parts like fuel filters; it's amazing how much people modified in order to keep it running over the years. Trying to restore to stock as much as possible, at least on this first one.

Cool I can't wait to see this build up and running.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
FLIR is having their 2016 Thermal Night Vision rebate program now too if you need a Pan-Tilt thermal for your Jeep!

http://www.raymarine.com/GearUp/

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1000. We're getting the 640 version very soon!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FLIR is having their 2016 Thermal Night Vision rebate program now too if you need a Pan-Tilt thermal for your Jeep!

http://www.raymarine.com/GearUp/

http://www.raymarine.com/uploadedImages/Products/Cameras/Thermal_Cameras/T300_and_T400/Thermal-camera-group.jpg

+1000. We're getting the 640 version very soon!

Mine works like a charm, never leave home without it!

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#42]
It's been a few months. How's the M151 coming?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I drove one as the Btry CDRs driver in 1983. I could take that thing paces I couldn't take a HMMWV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Hog hunting suggestions:

1. Removable elevated seating in the back with gun rest mounted to roll cage.
2. Accessible cold beverage locker.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I know what this thread is....Ed's way to shamelessly bump up his port count!

No suggestions that skypup can't throw in so good luck and hurry!

Edit...actually one thing I though of...perhaps electric fans and a transmission cooler. I have a feeling that the motor and trans will get warm creeping through hills and hollers looking for Babe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I have used a variety of Thermal on my UTVs over the years from PathfindIR to M625. The dashmounted LCD screen is what helps the most, allowing all riders to see what is going on.

Also, if you are going to drive I^2, there is no substitute for dedicated IR lights. Mine are from Rigid.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's the whole advantage of the MUTT is its ability to go anywhere; due in part to its size.
That is also the drawback: you can't carry 4 passengers and gear as easily and comfortably as a HMMWV, so it depends on your terrain, load, and mission.
The correct solution is to get both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drove one as the Btry CDRs driver in 1983. I could take that thing paces I couldn't take a HMMWV.

That's the whole advantage of the MUTT is its ability to go anywhere; due in part to its size.
That is also the drawback: you can't carry 4 passengers and gear as easily and comfortably as a HMMWV, so it depends on your terrain, load, and mission.
The correct solution is to get both.

Got all those bases covered, from UTV, to Jeeps to Hummers. Like having 14 clubs in your gold bag, each one has a place.

For my most recent UTV, I went with a four seat, and a diesel engine. It is by far the most versatile vehicle on the ranch.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top