Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2015 10:34:48 AM EDT
I'm always trying to shake down my gear and carry what I need and not a bunch of crap that I won't use or that will weigh me down as I like to get out and go after hogs actively.

Currently a VTAC Brocos battle belt with an HSGI Taco rifle pistol combo 2 admin pouches a Dark Angel Trauma kit and a American Renegade Molded Kydex holster for my G19and Surefire X300 are on me at all times. The pouches contain everything from batteries to Water and skinning knives and latex gloves. I usually wear an Opscore Bump Helmet with an SOE counterweight and SDU-39 IR strobe equipped with a G24 Mount and a set of Sentinels, the helmet also has a VTAC light mount and Surefire E1B VTAC edition.
Around my neck on a Lanyard is either a FLIR M24 or an Insight/L3 PAS-23 MTM Thermal for long range spotting. I also either carry a Torch Pro IR illuminator or a BE Meyers CIRIS illuminator.
Occasionally I will have a small backpack with a poncho shooting sticks and extra Trauma equipment

I wear a set of heavy duty Mountain Hikers from Solomon that go up pretty high above my ankles, and occasionally a set of snake guards depending on terrain.
When I am guiding I rarely have a long gun, when I have a long gun I'm rocking a Frankenstein 300blk with a 762SD and an ATPIAL and a COMPM4.

I can move silently enough through light vegetation/grass without a rifle enough to close within 30-40 yards of a hog.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
...for night hunting

Snake boots or gaters...year round

weapon mounted IR illuminator & laser
helmet mounted PVS 14 & surefire flashlight.
headlamp (worn around my neck) with a red lamp and a white strobe light.
shooting stick
Cell phone with local maps loaded and GPS app that does not need cell service.
Fanny pack first aid kit, fire starter, spare batteries, and an energy bar.
folding knife
Pistol
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Two blackmouth curs, one pitbull catch dog.  Vests and collars for all three.  Alice suspenders and belt with two pouches holding hobbles, 2AA batteries, a flashlight and a cut kit.  9mm pistol in a flap holster, Cold Steel SRK zip tied to the left suspender upside down in a snap in kydex sheath. Cut kit has sutures, staples, waterbottle, gauze, and tape.  I carry a GPS around my neck and two GI canteens in my side by side with a large cup for the dogs if it's really dry.

Also an aladdin coffee bottle and toilet paper and a spare car battery in the upper deck of my dog box with jumper cables and a tire repair kit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I am trying to find the right kit for hog hunting and for more mobile predator hunting.

Right now, to keep weight down and to avoid a vest to keep things cooler, that seems to be a battle belt worn backward, with the buckle at the small of the back, to give more MOLLE options on the front. A set of Crye suspenders for the belt since they are light weight and simple, without shoulder padding or D rings to keep cool and stay quiet. A set of ALICE suspenders would work for less $'s though.

I shoot pistols right handed but long guns left handed, and I am not a small guy, and I am trying to organize gear to keep a slung carbine or SBR from knocking on anything to keep noise down, with that in mind, pistol holster just forward of left hip for cross draw for those occasions I carry a pistol. Right now my favorite pistol for the purpose is a CZ SP01 Phantom with a visible red laser. 19rnd mag, so I don't carry a spare mag. Optics Planet has an IR laser grip for the Sig P226 on sale for $72, and I might have to get one for my P226, which doesn't have a rail.

Next toward center is a single mag pouch with a flap cover. I use a 6.8 and when bumped the steel magazines are too loud without the cover. Single to keep profile lower to avoid knocks.

Clear center so the two point slung carbine or SBR rides on the belt, quietly.

Radio pouch in front of right hip, used to carry a water bottle.

Utility pouch that folds up on right hip - this needs to be replaced with a small pouch to carry spare batteries.

Behind right hip, latex, nitrile glove holder/dispenser, currently used with small zip lock to hold spare batteries.

On my 6.8 an IR Defense Hunter MK II 35mm.

For NV/Thermal trying to sort out the best combination/set up for when I'm alone or if my son is with me. I/We have the options of a pair of PVS 14's and a Patrol 300.

Thinking that if my son is with me, the Patrol gets used double duty for spotting, and, using the Wilcox QD mount on my son's rifle, as a weapon sight. And we spilt the PVS 14's between us, one on a Crye Nightcap, one on a TW. The Patrol would either be on a lanyard or mounted on the TW with a PVS 14, using a Mod Armory/Integrated Components dual bridge.

Thinking that if I am alone I use the PVS 14's with the dual mount, and the Patrol on a lanyard around my neck or maybe use one PVS 14 and the Patrol on the bridge.

Mounts are RHNO II D's, a Norotos shroud and dual dovetail adapter for running a PVS 14 on the Nightcap. The Patrol 300's dovetail fits the IC bridge, which uses dovetail arms for the PVS 14's.

For hog hunting down south, a pair of Danner side zip snake boots, for predator hunting near home a pair of hikers, 10" insulated leather, rubber or Muck boots, depending on where and when.

For predator hunting, a FoxPro on a shoulder strap.

HMM, gotta figure out the TP storage... overlooked that necessity.

JPK

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun, bullets, suppressor, stamp for suppressor, night vision, extra battery for night vision, snake boots, and a big sticking knife. Food and drinks optional
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gun, bullets, suppressor, stamp for suppressor, night vision, extra battery for night vision, snake boots, and a big sticking knife. Food and drinks optional
View Quote

Are you using a laser for sighting or is your NV a scope or?

JPK
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
No laser. I run an aimpoint.  I have a laser but don't like it. Its difficult to shoot pigs on the run with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Bow w 4 arrows, or Ar, Ar10, 12ga - depending with one extra mag

Back pack
2 quarts of water canteen cup
Hunting knife 5-7 inches
Compass
Wrist compass
Hunters orange
IFAK GSW w touriquet
Rope 50 ft 600lb test
2 Road flairs
A kill bag- (handiwipes, skinning knife, 5-7 trash bags, knife sharpener, bone saw, 550 cord, 6 quart zip locks, rubber gloves, sharpie marker.)
Insect repellent w deet
2 flash lights- w extra batteries
A machete
Mosquito netting for head
Overnight stay bag ( thermal blankets food matches water purification etc)
Sidearm

I ground hunt govt land and I'll walk five miles in and hunt. If I have the option I will canoe in. I quarter and haul, or if canoe is available- I gut skin behead, and transport out by boat
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Rifle, ammo.

Ice chest, frosty beverages.

Knife, rope, possibly extra ice chest if collecting meat.

Flashlight if night hunting.

Is this some kind of trick question?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Rifle, ammo, night vision, suppressor, ir illuminator, flashlight, 3x magnifier, cell phone
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Rifle.  
Mag full of ammo (in rifle).
Scope (on rifle).
Sling (on rifle).

If it's dark I'll have NV (on rifle) and or a flashlight (on rifle).

I carry a bunch of junk in my truck, and sometimes a bunch of extra junk with me, but I get by fine with just a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Therma-Cells, Bad Boy Buggy with winch and with LEDs in bright white, low powered dull red, and IR (that are too bright and never get used).  PVS14 on driver's head with Night Cap, PVS14 on passengers head with TW sometimes, driver's AR w/ suppressor and Armasight Zeus 640 3x, passenger's AR w/ suppressor and Armasight Zeus 640 3x, shooting sticks, water and iced down cooler.

And somewhere there's a backpack with extra batteries, multi-tool, small first aid kit, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top