Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 5:04:51 PM EDT
Met up with km2006dmax this weekend to do some hog hunting at his place in Navasota. Had an awesome time and killed some pigs too. We had three ambushes on three boars with three kills, but not without a little bit of drama.

Gear:
I was using my 10.5" 6.8 with suppressor and LWTS. K-Max was using his 40" 308 with suppressor and IR Hunter MKII 35mm.

First boar:

We started the night out on the Hunt-V and within about 5 minutes we spotted a boar munching on some corn in the road a couple hundred yards straight ahead. We drove up a little closer, stalked in, counted to 3 and popped him - DRT. Would have been perfect except the memory card on my DVR was full so no video footage

Second boar:

The batteries were running low on the Hunt-V so we traded it out for a 4-wheeler. Again, about 5 minutes after we left the ranch house K-Max spotted a sounder of pigs about 40 yards directly ahead of us. As we jumped off the 4-wheeler to unleash the fury, K-Max realized that he left his rifle back at the house As I waited for him to sprint back to the house and get his rifle I inspected my DVR to ensure that everything was in working order. When I looked back up, the pigs were gone. They were directly downwind from me and must have busted me on scent.

Lucky for us, there just so happened to be a boar out in the middle of the field in the opposite direction. Wind was good and I could see K-Max on the horizon lugging his 30lb rifle through the field at a brisk pace. As I stood there, the boar took a break from his business several times to stare directly at me. I waited with my crosshairs on him just in case he decided to take off. When Kmax made it back we 3 counted and popped him twice in the shoulder. He stumbled back and then started to run. He got about 10 yards before we hit him again and dropped him.

When we got a white light on him I saw that he was much bigger than he appeared through my thermal scope. His top half was covered in mud and water, which slimmed down his profile through the thermal. He was a big thick boar and was obviously pretty tough to eat a 6.8 and 308 round and keep going. He weighed in at 276.8lbs.

When I checked my DVR I realized that I accidentally stopped the recording when I thought I was switching it on

3rd boar:

Spotted him from about 300-400 yards out. Stalked in and set up to shoot. I ask K-max if he wants to wait for a broadside or just go ahead and shoot him. He doesn't hear me so I say it again. We decide to wait. During all my talking, the pig starts heading left like he's about to take off. I attempt to shoot, but my rifle malfunctions. Turns out the pig only felt like sprinting 5 feet and stopped. Kmax gets to the end of his three count and drops him with one to the neck. Just my luck, I was able to capture that one on video

The first part of the video shows the the big boar before I shut off the recording.

Big Boar #2

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you all had a great time. Congrats!

JPK
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice hunt and blow by blow description!

That big boar looks like a solid .308 rooter too, always nice to have adequate fire power when they show up.

Video recording on the move is always a bust for me. Did I turn on the DVR? Is the Video Out selected on the TWS? Is the cable still plugged in? Always something going wrong and amazing that I do actually get to get some good video once in awhile.

On a setup stand on a feeder, I usually can get it all together and get the video, on a walking stalk not so much....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I had a great time Saturday!!  Rich is a bunch of fun and for the first time I think I hunted with someone that had more gear with him than me! Lmao.   I had a crew cab 1 ton where I couldn't fit a person with me and rich had me beat  

I told Rich after the first hog we shot literally 5 minutes into the hunt that we were screwed for the rest of the night.  It seems like anytime I kill hogs that quick up here that I don't see anything else the rest of the night.  I'm glad that didn't happen this time!

To be honest on the way down the pipeline I was getting kind of discouraged because I didn't see a kernel of corn on the ground on the road.  I had a couple of guys up at the house put out 150lbs of corn before rich got there, and I was thinking shit they've already cleaned it all up.  One of the guys that put the corn out was riding along with us, and I asked him again " man y'all put all the corn out".  He was 15 years old, so I asked ok where exactly did you put it.  He said around the stand you told me…. LOL..  I stopped and started laughing and said I said start feeding when you get on the pipeline and stop feeding when you get to the particular stand.  Oh well it worked out anyway for us.  

If ya'll watched the video make sure you turn up the volume right before the shot.  I really don't know how I didn't bust out laughing when I heard click then " fuck".  lol..  I think I used fuck in every sentence for the rest of the night!  

I really wished you could of handled my .308 before I put the " ultralight barrel and lighter hand guard on".  LOL. it was a lot heavier!  Still I love the .308.  I always go back to that rig no matter what itch I get for other calibers.  

As rich pointed out we started out on the hunt v then had to switch to a 4 wheeler.  Lets just say its less than Ideal for 2 people hunting with as much gear as the two of us keep with us.(except my gun)   It also cost us another hog about 15 yards from us.  Simply due to not being able to manipulate a gun to take the shot.  

I hunted with mod 3 goggles all night while rich hunted helmet mounted with thermal.  I was going to drive with the patrol, but I love driving with my goggles especially when your talking hours and hours with them on.  Having rich helmet mounted with thermal was outstanding.  Throughout the night he continued to spot animals that I could not see.  This was a very bright night with a half moon out.  However, when your in a bottom and you have so many dark shadows your looking into you can miss a bunch of animals.  I had my dual pvs14 bridge mounted on my patrol on my crooked horn harness.  At one time I ditched my goggles to go to the patrol to continue looking for a boar through the thick stuff.  Im going to have to work out some storage details for the binos when switching to the patrol, but I feel it can be a very good system.  

I have to say I really enjoyed hunting with Rich.  He has some top notch gear, and really loves to hog hunt!  I really think he could of hunted till the sun was up and switched to day optics!

I'll post up a few more pics in a bit.

After seeing this first hog in the daylight hours I saw that he was bigger than we had thought.  There are some big nastys in this bottom.  

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice shooting yall
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have to say I really enjoyed hunting with Rich.  He has some top notch gear, and really loves to hog hunt!  I really think he could of hunted till the sun was up and switched to day optics!
View Quote

He does that

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top