Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2015 9:21:11 PM EDT
Been using my 6.8 SPC with success but recently build a 300 BLK pistol I want to start hunting with. Not really interested in suppressed subsonic hunting but I will be hunting suppressed supersonic. Besides the Barnes 110 grain blacktips and Lehigh controlled chaos are there any other cheaper rounds that do the trick as well in your experiences? 8.5" barrel is what I am shooting with shots to 50 yards max where I hunt. Most are within 30 yards. Eventually I would like to give the Lehigh 194 grain maximum expansion a try.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've killed 6 hogs with my handloads and Nosler 125gr ballistic tips.  On sows, the bullets have expanded and always exited.  On boars above 100 pounds when the bullet goes through the shield and shoulders, the Nosler often stops just under the shield on the opposite side.  Only use them for hunting when, at the impact distance, they will be at or above 1800fps, the minimum velocity for good expansion per Nosler.  Don't have enough experience with the Barnes 110gr Black Tips...only taken 1 boar with it so far, and that bullet exited through the shield.  That hog fell right over, but then the bullet hit the spinal column.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used the Hornady VMax (red tips) before.  Not as good as the Barnes Vor-Tx, but I like them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep a close eye on the velocity as most expanding ammo require 1800-1900fps to expand.   With that short barrel you'll be losing some velocity at the muzzle so keep the muzzle velocity above 2000fps and preferably above 2,100fps and keep your shots short.  I think you'll have trouble getting such velocity from heavier bullets (above 135gr) and would be better to keep with lighter 110 or 115gr bullets.

As of now every 30 caliber (300Blk and .308 Winchester) subsonic ammo I've seen on game had the effect of stab wound.  They leave a strait narrow wound with very little blood loss.  Most game will die of blood loss but only after running several hundred yards away.  I saw one hog take a shot in the shoulder run 600+ yards.  Later we found that hog and found that the bullet had penetrated both lungs and clipped the heart but caused minimal damage.  Only sure way to drop the game with subsonic ammo is to hit the brain or the CNS and expansion won't help any on those shots.   A subsonic
30 caliber ammo is like shooting heavy bullet 38 Special +P ammo with on expanding bullet.  

Will you be reloading or using factory ammo?

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be using factory ammo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a chart somewhere I can see the velocities with different rounds by barrel length?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the 125 Noslers with great success.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used the 125 Noslers effectively on deer, so would be comfortable using on Hogs inside 150yds (where velocity is over 1800fps)
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm no expert but based on my readings from various sources the difference between 16" and 8.5" barrel should be about 250-300fps with factory ammo.
I'm considering building one with 16" barrel for my son as his first hunting rifle.  It will be for use with my handloaded supersonic ammo only.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I've found that my 9.5" SBR 300BLK likes the 125SSt better than the 125 Nosler- and the SST's seem to expand better.  I'm loading them over 18.8 grains of Win296 and getting 2095 fps out of hte 9.5 Core 15 barrel.  But, I don't know if they are available in a factory load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top