Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2015 6:14:36 PM EDT
How many of you use subsonic successfully for dispatching hogs?

I have used my 338 Spectre with great success for hogs. 300 gr SMK's work well even with shoulder shots on large hogs.

There are limitations to SS rounds and I try to keep all shots under 120 yards.

Past 150 yards SS rounds drop like a rock. Even the 338 Spectre with its fantastic 800+/- BC falls off quickly  even though it's only shed approximately 35 fps at 150 yards.

It is definitely more challenging to shoot a running hOg with a subsonic caliber

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the Aquilla sub sonic 70 gr .22 rim fires for dispatching in the hog traps. They will surprise you on their penetration. I have not tried any subsonic center fire loads as of yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Chasing a herd of hogs across a hay field in my truck and firing 300blk 220gr subs out the window one handed.  At ten yards away I can see little red spots on the critters but they dont slow down.  If you cant take careful shots then fast mushrooming bullets are better.  
The sound of a suppressed 220gr hitting a hog noggin' sure makes you grin though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been meaning to give the integral 77/44 with 300 grain Hornady XTPs a try on a pig.  After having one charge me more than once, I sure do like the 30 round magazines in a 300BLK or 25 round 6.8 though.  I've got some of the Lehigh and Outlaw State 300BLK mushrooming subs loaded up, but haven't taken them hoggin.  I know they haul ass from even a quiet subsonic suppressed shot, so I haven't tried.

OP- what can are you running on the 338?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been meaning to give the integral 77/44 with 300 grain Hornady XTPs a try on a pig.  After having one charge me more than once, I sure do like the 30 round magazines in a 300BLK or 25 round 6.8 though.  I've got some of the Lehigh and Outlaw State 300BLK mushrooming subs loaded up, but haven't taken them hoggin.  I know they haul ass from even a quiet subsonic suppressed shot, so I haven't tried.

OP- what can are you running on the 338?
View Quote

I'm using a Gemtech Raptor II 9mm. it's not the quietest can out there but it gets the job done One of the places I get to hunt borders a neighborhood and it helps keep from attracting attention.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to have to check out the 338 round.  Are there any expanding subs for it?  I like the idea of the 300 grain SMKs, but they're just punching holes.  If Hornady or someone made a 250 or so XTP-type pistol bullet, I'd think a 45ACP AR setup could be a quiet hogging machine.  My hunting areas are usually about 30 miles NE of BFE, so I've got no problem running 300BLK supers or 6.8 with cans.  But I do want to try out the killing power of the integral 77/44, but will either use it out of a tree or with a suitable sidearm with a full mag.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to have to check out the 338 round.  Are there any expanding subs for it?  I like the idea of the 300 grain SMKs, but they're just punching holes.  If Hornady or someone made a 250 or so XTP-type pistol bullet, I'd think a 45ACP AR setup could be a quiet hogging machine.  My hunting areas are usually about 30 miles NE of BFE, so I've got no problem running 300BLK supers or 6.8 with cans.  But I do want to try out the killing power of the integral 77/44, but will either use it out of a tree or with a suitable sidearm with a full mag.
View Quote

From what I have read the 338  300gr SMK  starts to tumble within just a few inches of penetration. I forget the exact length of the projectile but it is some where around 1-3/4". Having that long heavy projectile tumbling through does more than poke a hole. I rarely have a hog run off even with poor shot placement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top