Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 11:38:08 AM EDT
I will soon be ordering a suppressor and was wondering what criteria you guys usually use to pick one out?
I am considering one for a 300 blk or possibly a 223 with a 16" barrel that will be used mostly for deer and hogs.  Would I want one to thread onto the end of the barrel or is that some other way to attach a suppressor that would allow me to use it on other rifles?
Also, how much maintenance and cleaning do they require? Other than price, what else should I be considering?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I will soon be ordering a suppressor and was wondering what criteria you guys usually use to pick one out?
I am considering one for a 300 blk or possibly a 223 with a 16" barrel that will be used mostly for deer and hogs.  Would I want one to thread onto the end of the barrel or is that some other way to attach a suppressor that would allow me to use it on other rifles?
Also, how much maintenance and cleaning do they require? Other than price, what else should I be considering?
View Quote

Most rifle cans are not user serviceable. I like the Specwar 556 for 223/556. its a quick release but muzzle devices aren't bad at $75 each.
If you get a 7.62 can you can shoot 223 through it with a slight db loss. in the Silencerco saker series I think its about 6db.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Durability, noise reduction, what they are rated to handle, and internal construction and materials used are all things to consider.

Which is why I prefer AAC cans, built like a tank and quiet as Hell.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with a YHM LT .30 cal for my .300blk.  They don't get a lot of popularity around here, but they are great cans and are reasonable in price.  As long as you stay away from HunterTown (in 7.62), I think you will be GTG.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
There are many  quality rifle cans out there now. I would suggest going to a stocking dealer near you where you can look at several options. Thread on cans will be more likely to loosen with extended firing and dedicated mount cans will add a little weight. If you order a can rather then pick one that is in stock (at your FFL/SOT) it can add several months to your wait time as you cannot send your paper work off until you have the serial number of the can you are buying.

Shhhhhh
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are many  quality rifle cans out there now. I would suggest going to a stocking dealer near you where you can look at several options. Thread on cans will be more likely to loosen with extended firing and dedicated mount cans will add a little weight. If you order a can that is not in stock it can add several months to your wait time as you cannot send your paper work off until you have the serial number of the can you are buying.

Shhhhhh
<a href="http://s449.photobucket.com/user/KAB12869/media/20130425_214811.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/KAB12869/20130425_214811.jpg</a>
View Quote

At first I thought that was a bar graph.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The suppressor sub forum has LOTS of info, you should check it out it is under the armory tab.  If I was buying a rifle can today I would almost certainly be going with a SilencerCo Omega.  I have an AAC 762 SDN-6 and I love it, but the light weight and possibility of new mounting solutions with the Omega makes it very appealing.  For a good rifle can, there is really no maintenance required as long as you don't shoot lots and lots of cast lead projectiles through it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 7.5 ounce Brevis 556 that I paid Uncle Sam their ransom for that is waiting for my tax stamp to come back:

https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevisr-ii-ultra-5-56-nato-rifle-suppressor.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
When picking a supressor a lot of thought needs to be done about the future.
When I first started using them the noise reduction was great , that what I was going for. After a short time I got to think about the next high level of noise and that was the sonic crack. Thank goodness I went with 30 cal cans on my 6.8 at least and was able to use 30 cal subs
I would be dam sure I was going to be happy with a certain caliber and buy that size.
All said and done now that I'm going for shots made as quiet as possible, my vote or suggestion would be a bowers versa 50... It is so quiet it's sick and 458 /300 to 500 gr. bullets stomp ass.
I would be sick if I was stuck with 270 caliber cans, at least I went with 30 cal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've settled on the Silencerco Omega for my blackout, can also handle higher pressures.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've settled on the Silencerco Omega for my blackout, can also handle higher pressures.
View Quote

This is what I went with as well.  I figure if it's rated for 300 Win Mag, it'll handle a lot of 5.56 and 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is what I went with as well.  I figure if it's rated for 300 Win Mag, it'll handle a lot of 5.56 and 300 BLK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have high hopes for mine. Should range from a 12.5" AR to a 300wm for me. Nice light but good sounding can.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I was all set for the Omega and drooled when it came out.  Then I found out that it is rated for barrels that are 16" or longer for 6.8.  I have several suppressors, and the longer I use rifle cans for night hog hunting private land using supersonic rounds (i.e. try real hard to not wake the rancher's wife up at 3AM), the realizations is that if using supersonic rounds, you're managing the boom of the powder only and the supersonic crack is going to be the same for all suppressors when used on the same rifle and same round.  Just about all of them do an effective job at managing the boom for my purposes.  If I have to be very, very quiet, I use an integral 77/44.  For my purposes, weight and durability are the two leading factors.  I have an older stainless steel 30 caliber can that is a freaking TANK at 34 ounces.  Does it work great?  Yes.  Do I like to carry it around on the end of a 12.5" 6.8?  Hell no.  SilencerCo would already be spending my $$ if the Omega was rated for a 12.5" 6.8.  

My dealer called me today to tell me that ThunderBeast Arms Corp just let him know that my Ultra 7 shipped to him.  It's basically the same size as the Omega (1.5"x7") but weighs 11.5 ounces in direct thread version vs the Omega's 14 ounces, and is rated down to 10" barrels on 6.8.  Lighter and better rating.  Worked for me, and TBAC has a great reputation (as does SilencerCO).
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Delta P Brevis on custom Rem 700 sniper rifle:

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
My experience is pretty limited but what you end up with is directly related to what your "needs" are. For me I wanted high quality construction, adaptability, a short length, and reasonable weight. I just need it to quiet my SBR down a good bit and be fairly useful on a 14.5" carbine as well. Cost wasn't even a consideration for me as its an item I should have my entire life, Buy Once, Cry Once.

For me that answer was the Saker 556K(still in jail). I've used the Gemtech G5 on a work rifle and it was fine, just felt a bit long and the weight made the rifle feel unnatural.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top