Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 10:00:33 PM EDT
So I went to academy sports today and saw a savage hog hunter for $450. What I liked right off the bat was how smooth the bolt was. It has an adjustable trigger. And the weight.
I intend to use use it here in florida, for shots around 100yds. I don't plan to scope it and heres why, Around me all the ranges are indoor and the max distance is 50 feet so if i was to buy a scope i couldn't sight it in. I don't know any places in the woods i could go.
Iv only been hog hunting once but didn't see any.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Good deal,  I think it comes with a threaded barrel,  so now it's time to spend a bunch more money and put a suppressor on it lol.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was talking to a guy at work who said he might be able to sight a scope at 50yds on his property.  Im looking at one of the leupold illuminated reticle scopes.  I dont plan to go for a surpressor the application process is to costly here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Using typical 150gr factory hunting ammo, sight it in to hit dead center at 50 yards and you'll be good out to about 150 yards where you'll be about 1" low.
I've shot a lot of hogs in FL in past 30+ years and only 3 were shot beyond 100 yards...130, 150 and 275 yards.  Most were shot within 50 yards.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't be getting a scope for a while cuz id like to save up and get a decent one. anyone know how good the iron sights are on these
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Good sights in good light and at short range. Your are screwed in low light.

I find them fine for shorter range but they are not great outside 100 yds.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in the market for a short barreled bolt gun and found the hog hunter.  Played with the idea of buying a few different ones though, Ruger Aimsite Scout, FNAR....few others come to mind.  I picked up a suppressor(omega) for my SCAR 17s but I just wanted it a bit more quiet so I decided bolt was the way to go.  I also love the heavier barrel and open sights.  The threaded barrel almost made this a no brainer but I still went back to the fact that there wasn't a magazine...then I found out about MDT LSS chassis.  Made for the short action Savage 110 like I had, I picked it up and now have exactly what I want...a 20" threaded barreled 308, magazine fed with pistol grip(and adj stock).  Check them out...not a bad price total package under 1k(in gun terms, cheap). http://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html

I've got the sand colored one....still waiting to shoot it for the first time.  With a newborn baby, finding range time sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top