Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2015 1:17:57 AM EDT
Some of you may remember my old thread on the topic. During my brief ban from the site I was bored and messed with my photobucket account causing most of the pics to go away, after that I lost interest and the thread went into the archives. I've seen a upturn in threads asking about 223 vs hogs and after much debate I have decided to give this thread another shot (no pun intended).

I also encourage others to contribute info and we might get this thing tacked or at least keep it active in hopes of informing those among us who actually read.

I will post pics and what details of each kill that I am able to remember. Unless otherwise noted ammo used was either XM193 or 855 of various brands fired out of a 12.5'' barrel. Most animals were DRT or within 20yds unless noted. I will post pics of kills from other various calibers and my experience with them in relation to 223 from time to time.

First up. My very first hog. Was laying in a ditch facing me with only head exposed. Shot in the face as I drove a ATV. (lucky shot) You can see entry hole in its cheek.

I believe I shot this one through the shoulders as it was running away from us as we chased with a ATV. -50yd shot.

IIRC this was a spine shot from about 200yds as he was running left to right and us chasing on the ATV. Dropped him and finished off with a head shot up close.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#1]
This was my second hog ever, killed at the same spot as my first. Shot from a ATV as it ran left to right from about 30yds away. Shoulder shot. You can see the skid marks in the second pic.

Don't remember a whole lot about these.

Killed all these in a matter of seconds as they ran through a wash right to us. Closest shot was maybe 3yds.

These two were killed from two different stands. About 50yrd heart shots.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
This one was running almost straight away from us at about 100yds. I think bullet went in the ribs and into the rear lungs. He ran another 100yds and laid down. Shot again after we tracked him down. He was all scared up from fighting the dogs a few months earlier.

Through the shoulders at about 30yds. DRT.

Sometimes I like to sneak up on them during their mid day nap. None were harmed for these pics.

I think these two were taken a few hours apart with a 6.8. I've had two identical rifles in different calibers.

6.8 behind the ear from 100yds. He turned into my first euro mount. I had almost stepped on him during bow season and hunted him for a couple of months after.

Shot through shoulder from about 50-70yds. Dropped and shot a large amount of blood out her mouth. I killed a handful of smaller pigs at the same time but the photos have been lost. Ammo used was PPU 75gr OTM. RIP Rowdy my hunting buddy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Excellent..!!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quartering shot behind shoulder and into the lungs as he ran. About 60yds.

Don't remember much other than he was oblivious to me and the truck.

Shot in the forehead as he napped in the wallow. 50yds give or take.

Behind the ear at about 70yds.

Killed in the front yard x2.

This old gal was shot with a 124gr Hydra Shok from about 40yds away. I was shooting down into the creek, hit her in the spine/lungs and finished her off with a brainer.

This one was shot from about 275yds using 75gr TAP out of a 16'' barrel. I was far enough away the other animals paid no attention. It laid there for about ten minutes then staggered its way into the brush. I did not try to recover.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I killed and ate this little one for my birthday a few years back.

Shot these two during the same "engagement". First was shot in the forehead about 60yds away and the other was shot through the shoulders. I didn't go look for it until the next day but it was DRT. The first one was one of the best tasting I've ever had, they had been eating winter wheat for a couple of months.

Moon checking out a sounder on the neighbors as we waited for them to cross.

Took these two at the same time as well from about 50yds away.

Also took these at the same time. First was shot in the noggin as he slept in the mud and I got the other when he ran up out of the tank. Both shot from about 50yds.
In case you were wondering, yes it does suck pulling a dead 200lb hog out of the mud.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Shot this one as he was quartering towards me about 40yds away. IIRC ammo was radway green. One of the few times I took a pic of the exit wound.

243 to the face doesn't work any better than 223. Dead is dead.

Don't remember much about these.

This was my latest from a few weeks ago. 60yds right behind the eye. She was pregnant.

One shot: two kills. 124gr hydra shok from about 30yds.

I had a lot more pics but photobucket has someone deleted them over time. I need to dig through my SD cards and upload some more so that's it for now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The only time I grab a 308 is when I'm hunting the fields and taking 300yd plus shots. Though that may change since I have a nice 18'' spr now.
The little black spec is the smaller one of these hogs. IIRC shot was either 387yds or 487yds. The big one was 100yds closer. She tasted great also. Both neck shots with 165gr SST.

A few more with the 308.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice work. What county?  Been working Cherokee area a lot lately and they've deffinitely got a pig infestation there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice work. What county?  Been working Cherokee area a lot lately and they've deffinitely got a pig infestation there.
View Quote

San Saba. We ran them all off for a while, they are just now coming back. I don't get a chance to hunt like I used to though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you said to join in, here is a big guy i took yesterday morning about 7 am. I missed a shot on him the morning before, so it was good to get some redemption. Took him with 62gr fusion msr. 16inch 1/9 barrel with an eotech.

Hit him in the neck as he was quartering towards me. He ran about 25 yards with the biggest blood trail I have ever seen.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
If anyone's wondering, clharr is a "dont try this at home" kind of good shot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent thread.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

but you have some bad ass rifles!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish you'd shot the MRAD more. Would have been fun to see what it can do with a good shooter. /threadjack
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]
A few more.

Shot this one in the neck from just a few yards away. It was bedded down with a group of cattle.

Face shot.

Neck from about 50yds.

I hit this one with a burst out of a MP5SD using 124gr fmj. It ran a good 100yds. I shot some others the next day that I never recovered. I prefer the AR over the MP5.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
what bullet are you using for 6.8?

Any real difference using that vs. 223/556?  Subjective question, but...

Any noticable difference with the SBR vs. 16"?  Also subjective, but curious.

You are a hog slaying machine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
In for the response

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I found ammo selection to be the key for success with the 6.8. Larger bullets such as a 110gr bthp would simply punch through smaller animals without causing much damage. The 90gr TSX seemed to work pretty well, I believe that's what it was. I wasn't really impressed with the caliber over all and after loosing a deer with it I sold it.

I think the 223/556 is the better choice considering price, availability, reliable mags and terminal ballistics compared to the 6.8. I'm not a huge fan of the 300blk either.

I've shot a lot of hogs at 100yds and further and never worried about using a short barrel. A shorter gun is easier to work with around vehicles or crawling around in the bush. If I'm planning on making a shot past 200yds then I'll grab a 16'' or 18'' barrel and 75-77gr ammo. MK262 and it's clones has become my favorite to use at distance or on deer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#19]
interesting, thanks for the reply.

I've used 90gr Federal gold-dot on deer with great success FWIW.  Can't hunt with 223/556 here in VA though, so no input on deer with that caliber.

Have you bothered to try any of the TSX in 223/556?  I have some 55gr TSX's that I've been saving maybe for coyotes, but probably not necessary.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've used 90gr Federal gold-dot on deer with great success FWIW.  Can't hunt with 223/556 here in VA though, so no input on deer with that caliber.

Have you bothered to try any of the TSX in 223/556?  I have some 55gr TSX's that I've been saving maybe for coyotes, but probably not necessary.

thanks
View Quote

I have a ton of 75gr match ammo and keep a good stock of MK262 so I haven't bothered with the TSX stuff since it's kind of pricy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Great thread.  Thanks for the details on each pic.

SCHWACK EM!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

thanks
View Quote

Ive used the 55g tsx a decent amount.  It breaks bones like no other 223 round.  I cannot say i notice a difference in lethality vs m193 though.  It is definitely better when pigs start to run and you don't get perfect shots.  A shot through the shoulders will often render the front legs useless and a shot through the hips will do the same.

ETA:  With that being said, I pretty much only use m193 these days.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Got this 265 lb bar hog a few weeks ago with my 14.5" mid length using M855.  He did eat quite a bit of lead before I got a CNS hit and dropped him.  He was within about 25 yards when I opened up on him.   Put about 6 rounds at him and he took off running.  Luckily he ran off only to turn around and head back towards me when I hit him with another 6 round burst.  That's when he dropped.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Holy crap.  I don't think we have anything like that here in VA.  In fact, pretty sure, at least where I live.  Looks like I need to go to TX or FL.

Good job!

Quoted:
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac13/jhl72/20150425_212404%202_zps2kforpfm.jpg

Got this 265 lb bar hog a few weeks ago with my 14.5" mid length using M855.  He did eat quite a bit of lead before I got a CNS hit and dropped him.  He was within about 25 yards when I opened up on him.   Put about 6 rounds at him and he took off running.  Luckily he ran off only to turn around and head back towards me when I hit him with another 6 round burst.  That's when he dropped.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Excellent work.

When are you inviting us to your place?

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
clharr

Love your posts.  Perused your first one frequently until it went to archives.  Great shooting and glad to see the 556 being used to its abilities.  

Keep em coming.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Wiiiiiiiilllllbuuuuur

<3 dead piggy pics
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Great thread, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks all. I should have some more stuff up this week. I'm off all week but due to flooding I'm stuck at home. The low water crossing to the ranch is almost certain death right now.

This it what the road looks like right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice shooting!  I really need to get out and hunt some pigs again.  I've got a 12.5" 6.8 I set up for it about two years ago and it hasn't shot at a pig once
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice shooting!  I really need to get out and hunt some pigs again.  I've got a 12.5" 6.8 I set up for it about two years ago and it hasn't shot at a pig once
View Quote

12.5'' length is best length!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Shot these two as I was about to lean up against a tree and pinch a loaf. The first one got a burst to the midsection and two in the brain.

Shot through the head from about 45yds. Sparta thinks he's a badass.

Shot in the front lot, maybe 60yds away.

I believe this one was shot by a member here at the same time I shot the one with the MP5. He would have been using a 11.5'' with 55gr wolf ammo.

18'' barrel, MK262 ammo and a easy 30yd shot.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't remember much about these.

I shot this one approximately nine time using wolf 55gr from around 40-50yds. He was bedded down in the mud along the tank, asleep, and I made a poor first shot. He flipped over into the water and went under. Came back up, made it to the shore line and I shot him one or twice more and he fell back into the tank and went under again. He surfaced once more, swam to shore and I really hammered him, then he expired. I have it all on video somewhere too.

I do not recommend wolf, while it will get the job done I believe it is too slow and the bullet does not frag or do much of anything other than poke holes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Does the video include pulling him out of the mud? If so I'm sure it's a must-see in fast forward with Benny Hill theme music.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does the video include pulling him out of the mud? If so I'm sure it's a must-see in fast forward with Benny Hill theme music.
View Quote

Nah he got out on his own, thankfully. I have tried to upload the video to youtube in the past but there is a format issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#37]
cl,
How big of a spread were most of these pics taken on?
My point being there looks to be a great mix of open space, brush and water.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
cl,
How big of a spread were most of these pics taken on?
My point being there looks to be a great mix of open space, brush and water.
View Quote

Roughly 1500ac. It has a little bit of everything. Lots of water during good years like this, 6-7 tanks and a creek that runs the length of the property. Two crop fields that are pretty big and a pipeline easement create a lot of open country to hunt as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]
My lease is only 900 acres but it's loaded with hogs year round. I see many more of them in the wet months June-September. I probably could've shot 40 hogs last year but pass on them waiting for deer most of the time. It's finally getting wet in South Florida.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice thread, good work all thanks for the pics! I'm in south-central Oklahoma where we were flooded in May as well, about 20" of rain in a few weeks. Fortunate to hunt at will on in-laws farm/ranch hundreds of acres. Hit and miss but usually not too hard to find hogs with a little work but Never bothered to try to pin them over a stand until a couple of weeks ago. Have an 11 year old son and nephew same age and want them to have some early success and clean shots. They helped me build and set out a pig pipe and dug a couple of post holes and baited with corn. Checked it for about a week with no success and I was afraid they'd get discouraged.  This week the hogs did their best to destroy it- left teeth marks in the pipe trying to get every last kernel. Re-baited it and plan on getting them over it tomorrow. Hope to have pics of hogs soon.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the info, cl.
I spent most of my niece's graduation party discussing this thread and guns with another arfer(family member).

Best of luck RealWildOne.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the pictures op ! Wish iI knew someone  with land and could go hunt.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Interesting thread.  Great pics!

My hog shooting experience right now amounts to one shot, but no recovery made.   Maybe you guys can give feedback.

Rifle is a RRA with 20 inch barrel.  Load is a handloaded Winchester 64 gr Power Point. I have chronographed this load right at 3000 fps.  I had read it had a good reputation as a hunting bullet.

We were set up at night over a grassy area along a creek bed, down in Georgia. In the moonlight, I saw the hog come up out of the creek bed.  My Dad hit him with the green light, I had a shot from about 30 yards,  aimed at the point of his shoulder, and fired.  As the shot broke, I was confident I made a good hit. He swapped ends and was gone.

Near where he was standing, we found blood and a piece of bone.  Never alot of blood, but enough that following the blood trail for about a mile was fairly easy.  He crossed into a neighboring property we did not have permission to be on, so we quit.

I took some razzing that the .223 was too light, so wonder what you guys think.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Your shot was most likely too far back is all. Hog anatomy is a little different than a deer or similar animals being that their lungs are further forward an the heart is low and more towards the front.

This brings up something I was wanting to address about the so called "shield" a hog has. I have shot many hogs through the shoulders with excellent results. While some may have some scar tissue and such there it will not stop a bullet that pierces armor and other much harder objects. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the feedback.  I am definitely taking the .223 again.  The guys I am hunting with think you need a .308, but then they don't own anything in .223  .
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#46]
If nothing else, this thread really makes me feel better about stocking up on M193 for HD use out of a short barrel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I gotta say, this is one epic thread.  When those big old sows put little piglet and his siblings to bed, it's your face they see instead of the boogeyman LOL.  This thread should be stickied just so every time some knot head says that the .223/5.56 is too small for hogs, they can be given the link to it.

I hate to admit it but I'm jealous. I've got my LE6920, 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf all primed to whack hogs but haven't seen any walking around the city.  Probably a good thing since I can't shoot here either.  It's rough on those of us with no access to private land to read these threads but living vicariously is better than not at all I guess lol.

Looking forward to more pics and the stories behind them. Nice rifles!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Apologize for bad phone pic, shot at last light and only had a tiny flashlight handy.  Probably 30 yards, M193 out of 20" barrel and DRT.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just found this thread...I have some 62gr TSX that I loaded up for hogs.  Just gotta get the chance to get out with you and try them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

I have a ton of 75gr match ammo and keep a good stock of MK262 so I haven't bothered with the TSX stuff since it's kind of pricy.

Just found this thread...I have some 62gr TSX that I loaded up for hogs.  Just gotta get the chance to get out with you and try them out.

I'm going this weekend and probably some next week but I'm going to focus on the fields and pipeline since I just got dope on my SPR out to 800yds with the MK262. Should be interesting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top