Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 10:42:16 PM EDT
Buddy and I were lucky enough to get invited down to Brazoria County to shoot a few pigs this weekend...it was set up a couple of weeks ago and was going to happen regardless of the weather, which was turning really bad.  

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings and Flash Flood Watches Friday night and into Saturday...and the warnings and watches delivered.  Power went out in one of the earlier storms, about 7:00 PM Friday.

We got one Friday night, between sever thunderstorms. Spotted him out at almost 400 yards and stalked up on him (sloshing all the way), then hauled ass back to the cabin as the next wave was starting. By that time, water was already over the little low water bridge between the fields and the cabin. A big piebald boar that would have pushed 200.

No power Friday night, but it came back on about 2:00 PM Saturday and the rain had passed by 6:00 PM.  Tried calling some dogs up Sat evening, but they did not cooperate.  

Loaded back up and heading out at 10:00...we didn't make it back in until after 3:00 am.  We stalked up on two more nice boars. On the way back, we spotted a sow with some pigs a few hundred yards out. Stalked down three of the pigs, but the sow was nowhere to be seen when the shooting started.

Night pictures seem to always be lacking.  The big boar in the back hung off the Mule on both sides after we finally got him up on the hood.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!

Were you using night vision or lights?

Caliber of weapons, type of cartridge?

Where were they hit?

Asking because I am planning a night hog hunting trip for this summer. I will  likely have to pack the meat out though.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet!

Where were they hit?

Asking because I am planning a night hog hunting trip for this summer. I will  likely have to pack the meat out though.

View Quote

We had 'High Tech RedNeck" in full gear, even though my buddy is a naturalized Texan.
He was shooting ARs in 300 blackout & in 7.62.  I shoot a 6.8 for pigs, with 95 gr TTSX pills in them.
He has a new super cool FLIR thermal scope.  I run a PVS-14 on a helmet rig, with a IR laser sight.

All the shots were a little longer than I would have liked.  With all the rain, we were trying to stalk through mud and several inches of standing water...that makes a lot noise so we were taking most of the shots at 100+ yards.

Big boar the first night got pretty shot up. The first round from the 300BK went high and just carved some hide from the top of his back, then we both connected with several poorly placed shots each as he hauled ass.

Biggest boar was the second night and he was shot at almost 150 yards.  One a little high to the shoulder, that left a quarter size hole on the other side.  He made it about 25 yards before the 300 bk connected again, in his ass. Took another to the head to put him down.  We did not put any of them on the scale, but I do weight quite a few and I'm certain he would push 240#.

Third big boar fell like a sack of rocks.  I did not look for entry or exit wounds on him.

One of the pigs was gut shot. One shoulder shot. The third hit in his hindquarters (squealing was great).

One ice chest absolutley packed with meat.  Only the backstrap was taken from the boars.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We had 'High Tech RedNeck" in full gear, even though my buddy is a naturalized Texan.
He was shooting ARs in 300 blackout & in 7.62.  I shoot a 6.8 for pigs, with 95 gr TTSX pills in them.
He has a new super cool FLIR thermal scope.  I run a PVS-14 on a helmet rig, with a IR laser sight.

All the shots were a little longer than I would have liked.  With all the rain, we were trying to stalk through mud and several inches of standing water...that makes a lot noise so we were taking most of the shots at 100+ yards.

Big boar the first night got pretty shot up. The first round from the 300BK went high and just carved some hide from the top of his back, then we both connected with several poorly placed shots each as he hauled ass.

Biggest boar was the second night and he was shot at almost 150 yards.  One a little high to the shoulder, that left a quarter size hole on the other side.  He made it about 25 yards before the 300 bk connected again, in his ass. Took another to the head to put him down.  We did not put any of them on the scale, but I do weight quite a few and I'm certain he would push 240#.

Third big boar fell like a sack of rocks.  I did not look for entry or exit wounds on him.

One of the pigs was gut shot. One shoulder shot. The third hit in his hindquarters (squealing was great).

One ice chest absolutley packed with meat.  Only the backstrap was taken from the boars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet!

Where were they hit?

Thanks for the rundown, good haul for bad weather hunting.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice hardcore hunt!

We have had some of our best most productive hunts in the most god awful terrible weather possible, lightning, thunderstorms, high winds, etc.

Two years ago we went out in the middle of a tropical storm with constant 50-55mph winds and torrential sideways rain and had a super killing time, seems like they are out in force often when the absolutley weather sux?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top