Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2015 3:31:06 PM EDT
Has anyone used a very fast semi auto and buckshot to get a bunch of hogs at a feeder or in a large group!?

Looking at the effectiveness of a semi auto with a 8-10 shot tube and buckshot to get a bunch of hogs at a eating or watering hole. Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
We often use semi 12's and 00 buck from helos when dealing with piglets.  Pigs are pretty dang fast, but you should be able to get 6-8 shots off before they disappear. Buck shot on adult pigs will leave you with a bloody, chaotic mess, so have a pistol for back up and to finish them off properly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Bloody and chaotic is Good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I would do if I had such a problem. Get a smooth shooting semi auto and send as much lead out as fast as you accurately can.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone used a very fast semi auto and buckshot to get a bunch of hogs at a feeder or in a large group!?

Looking at the effectiveness of a semi auto with a 8-10 shot tube and buckshot to get a bunch of hogs at a eating or watering hole. Anyone?
View Quote

A buddy and I used to talk about this exact scenario.  A lot of our bow stands have two lock ons for filming hunts.  We were always thinking of putting lines of corn out to put all their heads on one plane then doing the 3-2-1 count down on them using our benelli M4's and buck shot.  We never got around to doing it because we enjoyed sticking them so dam much!

I think from a elevated position it could be successful.  Now for buck shot on hogs in general.  Well, it sucks ass IMO.  Did a eradication hunt, and land owner restricted us for awhile to shotguns and buck shot.  We killed a few, but not very effective on putting them down.  Luckily we talked him into letting us use AR's.  Counting the one day of shotgun hunting and the 3 days with AR's we layer 98 hogs down in the daylight hours.  Most fun I've ever had on a hunt!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've killed 3 in one shot with 00Buck.

A buddy of mine killed 5 or 6 in one shot, but they were a bunch of piglets huddled in a pile.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I'm talking about.

Now
Should I buy a

Beretta 1301
Rem versa
Or
Just keep the benelli m1
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Went with the versa
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, my father and I got 8+ one time.  I had a .308 semi and he had a 12ga Semi.  We had just spooked a group of pigs off a feeder while driving by in a vehicle.  Drove on past...waited a few minutes...quietly snuck back to the feeder on foot, got in position, and then set the feeder off using the test timer.  Sure enough...couple minutes later here they all came back in.  Now, the feeder was in a hog panel fence enclosure about 40ft square to try and keep hogs out...but there were a couple of places where the hogs had managed to get through and or under the old fence.  We let them get settled down and I opened up first with a shot from the .308 to ensure I got the 2 biggest ones that I had waited to line up...then I got one or two more in the panic that followed.  It was all a blur really (despite the few holes in the fence they all made quick work of getting out).  He got several with the 12ga.  Some I think we both made hits on actually.  At least a couple made it a hundred or more yards though from hits with only the buckshot, and we didn't find those until the next day.  Dad and I still talk about that time!   We were both amazed at how fast you can empty a semi 12ga :)  I think the hogs were too....

That situation made me think about setting up a good fence around a feeder years later at the deer lease and having a purpose designed entrance to the enclosure that was lined up with my deer stand.  Pop the first one and then just aim for the gate.  Never got around to trying it out though.  Of course you could just rig a gate to close on them, but what fun is that :)  Actually, that's probably a lot of fun too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went with the versa
View Quote

Please post when you get a feel for it and share your impressions and thoughts. I'm interested in the versamax tactical as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I put about 250 rounds thru it. Loved it. Ordering a Urbino stock and I should be good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just shot 3 last month with 20ga #3 buck, I know not ideal but it's all we can use on public hunting property. I was extremely supprised of the results from 35 yards.
I dropped 3/5 before I ran out of shells.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top