Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2015 6:52:40 AM EDT
What would you all recommend for a good/decent 5.56 load with a heavier bullet for hog hunting?  Will be shot out of a 14.5" mid-length.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Any fmj will do, prefer XM193 federal
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suggest being humane. Federal fusion is a pretty cheap bonded bullet. Also fragmenting bullets can ruin the meat so I dont think m193 is a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Done it with fmj and silver bear sp both required follow up shots.  I haven't shot one in a while but my buddy is now using the fusion and is pleased.  I'll use them next time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I suggest being humane. Federal fusion is a pretty cheap bonded bullet. Also fragmenting bullets can ruin the meat so I dont think m193 is a good idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whats not humane about it? You can't think of them as thin skinned animals like deer. Dropped this guy in one shot about 75 yards away with m193-

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
whats not humane about it? You can't think of them as thin skinned animals like deer. Dropped this guy in one shot about 75 yards away with m193-

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/rocky_59/0104A8F2-D9DC-4BAC-BD12-6C7460CB4DA7_zpsrey9icii.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/rocky_59/0104A8F2-D9DC-4BAC-BD12-6C7460CB4DA7_zpsrey9icii.jpg
People forget that a xm193 is designed to cause internal bleeding. is it the best, no probably not, does it work with good shot placement, yes. Guy on youtube killing them with an air rifle.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many hogs have you killed and how many were with 193?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
M193 has worked for me. Buddy of mine uses M855.

Rocky Mountain had a bunch of fusion pulls really cheap, but they all sold out with the m855 panic. I should have grabbed some
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are hunting in a blind  with a feeder, trying to kill 1 hog, the 5.56 ought to drop any pig with a head/spine shot. I suggest the 70 grain tsx bullet if your barrel has a 1:7 twist (1:9 can't stabilize that heavy of a bullet).   Basically if it's gonna be an easy shot  and u think u could hit the hog exactly where u want to then you should be fine. A .22 lr will drop a hog with a perfectly placed shot. But a larger round  will drop the same pig  with an extra inch or two room for error and less than perfect shot placement.  If your barrel won't stabilize the 70 grain ammo, try a 62-64 grain bonded bullet like the Winchester razor back xt, federal fusion or an expanding soft point round. Just done use varmint/fragmenting ammo. It won't penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals before it breaks into pieces and you'll be left with a mad hog with a nasty shallow wound. Fmj and steel core ammo like the 62 grain m855 will penetrate deeply, which is good, but it won't open up and leave a larger wound channel like an expanding bonded bullet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
M855 and M193 will both fragment and reach deep enough to destroy the vitals.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
People forget that a xm193 is designed to cause internal bleeding. is it the best, no probably not, does it work with good shot placement, yes. Guy on youtube killing them with an air rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I only use bullets that don't cause internal bleeding
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I love these threads.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Old thread but I'm interested. Anyone taking hogs with M262 or other brand of ammo using a 77gn SMK?

I ask because my tax stamp was approved and I'm waiting to hit some pigs with my DD MK12/SAKER combo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Old thread but I'm interested. Anyone taking hogs with M262 or other brand of ammo using a 77gn SMK?

I ask because my tax stamp was approved and I'm waiting to hit some pigs with my DD MK12/SAKER combo.
View Quote

Yes but not any better than xm193 with head and neck shots.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure it would be effective. I have a few cases of that as well but never intended to use it in this setup. Might have to check it out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure it would be effective. I have a few cases of that as well but never intended to use it in this setup. Might have to check it out.

Thanks.
View Quote

It works. I've shot a few with MK262, 75gr Tap and 75Gr PPU, they died just as quick as the hundreds I've shot with 193. I shot this sow through the shoulders with 75gr PPU, she dropped and blood sprayed everywhere. I hunt deer with MK262 when I use a AR and that's typically when I'll shoot a hog using that ammo; the rest of the year I use cheap stuff.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome. Thanks for the information.

That's a nice rig, by the way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're not concerned about recovering your hogs, by all means be a cheap bastard and use M193.  It fragments and does not do near the damaged that a well-designed hunting bullet will do.  

If you need to be sure you can anchor the pigs, you should use ammunition that was designed for hunting.  Personally, I prefer Barnes TSX.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you're not concerned about recovering your hogs, by all means be a cheap bastard and use M193.  It fragments and does not do near the damaged that a well-designed hunting bullet will do.  

If you need to be sure you can anchor the pigs, you should use ammunition that was designed for hunting.  Personally, I prefer Barnes TSX.
View Quote

I've personally seen friends kill hogs with a .22 and supposedly people are doing it with pellet guns. So, with good shot placement, I don't really think it matters. However, I'm more worried about the hogs I'm aiming at after the initial shot was taken. I'm just trying to kill those. The first one down will be dinner lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Guess I need to revive my six page hog killing thread that proves being a cheap bastard and using 193 work damn well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top