Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2015 11:50:14 PM EDT
Me and a buddy have been doing a lot more hunting lately, the majority at night with pvs-14s, ir lasers and a thermal scope. Generally we'll be riding around on a UTV covering quite a bit of ground until we spot something, usually 2-300 yds and then move closer on foot.

I typically have on me:
Crye nightcap with pvs-14
10" 300blk, suppressor, m300, dbal-d2
spare mag
spare batteries
torch pro ir illuminator
fenix or olight handheld flashlight
fixed blade knife
gloves
a few paper towels
just put an IR laser on my 22/45 w/sparrow and started carrying it for taking care of small problem critters and finishing wounded/downed hogs

What does everyone else have on their person and how do you carry/organize it for fast access? I'm throwing around the idea of a small/minimalist chest rig or a war belt setup that I can just throw on and go. War belt seems simpler but I worry about being able to sit down, drive and get in and out of vehicles.  As of late I've been shoving things in jacket pockets since it has been cold but that's not gonna keep up for much longer.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifle with 30 round mag, sometimes I carry a second mag. Rifle has thermal scope and spare batts in the stock.
K-bar

Headlamp and or flashlight

Vaporizor

cell phone

That's it, everything else stays in the truck.

I'm a minimalist, suiting up with all kinds of dumb tactical crap is dumb.  

I'f I know I'm going to be away from the truck for more than an hour I might carry a camelback with water and a snack and some bug spray.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
We hunt very similarly. And carry very similar gear and have very similar mindsets abiut this. I recently thought about all that and decided on a belt. I can carry everything on the sides and front (out of the way of the gun sling across my chest).  The only thing is to be careful when getting into a vehicle that has doors not to close the door onto your side and bang your equipment if it's fragile like a  pvs-14. Also I got a Velcro mag pouch for my spare 6.& magazine that I Velcro to the back of my helmet to counterbalance the weight of the -14 so my neck doesn't get too sore after wearing it all night.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
lr .243 with 25 rd mag,  clip-on NVD
headlight
cellphone

belt bag with
 - extra mag
 - knife for gutting the eating size pigs
 - rubber gloves
 - bic lighter

Therma-Cell

bottled water
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate you guys that can carry only the essentials.  
I'm a classic over packer, if I even think I'll use it I'll carry it.
When will I use that extra therma-cell or 8 refills or extra zippo fuel or those 4 different types of knifes, soon very soon
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually my Frankenstein gun it's a 300blk with an ATPIAL, and some type of illuminator, an Aimpoint T-1 or CompM4 and a 762SD. I generally shoot PNW 125 grn bullets. For nods I roll with a set of sentinels mounted on an opscore Bump or occasionally an ACH when my wife rolls with me and she can't take the weight of a ballistic helmet. I might carry a small belt set up with a handgun and some pouches for gear and a trauma kit but sometimes not.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
We can't hunt at night in AL, so no NV or weaponlight for me.  I'm going on a hog hunt in a couple months.  We'll be hunting from designated stands, and this is my plan:

Rifle:
Form 1 in process on a SBR lower, will be topped with a 9" AAC 300 BLK upper
Either an Aimpoint H1 or a TA33 ACOG depending on which rifle I cannibalize
20 rd Pmag
Form 4 on the Omega 762 will not be back yet.

On my belt or in pockets:
Glock 20
Spare Glock mag
Strider SMF or Benchmade AFO II...or whatever I'm carrying at the time
Fenix LD12
Wallet

In my backpack:
ESEE Izula
Leatherman Skeletool + extra bits
Folding DMT knife sharpener
First aid kit
Firesteel + tinder
550 cord
Surefire G2X Pro
Extra AA and CR123 batteries
Leupold range finder (mostly just used to range land marks once I get to the stand)
Swarovski SLC 10x42 binoculars
Extra rifle mag
Cliff Builder Max or Quest protein bars
Water
Cell phone
Keys
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I carry most of the time when I'm out.  Lately we've been hunting out of my buddy's little suzuki samari.  I've become to love that machine!  Dam thing walks on top of just about anything.

back pack
12-123 batteries
16' .308 with IR Hunter MK2 and IR laser with can
100 rounds of ammo
2- flashlights fenix, hero, or stream light strion
primos shooting sticks
rubber boots
vest
dual mums on ops core base jump
Flir 307

Again we usually drive until we spot hogs then bail out and stalk.  All this gear stays in the vehicle except NV, gun, flashlights, extra mag, shooting sticks if i'm not free handing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I hunt on public lands and have to walk in: often 3-4 miles

First aid kit  IFAK W/TOURNIQUET
Waterproof gear
Kill bag -containing knives and other assorted equipment for dealing with wild game.
Small survival kit that contains a shelter, 24 hours of food, fire, signal flairs etc
FRS/CB RADIO
.22 rifle for squirrels
.308 or 7mmo8 semi auto. 2 20  rd mags
Side arm
Flashlights and batteries
2 compass
2 quarts of water

In the car I leave destination area,  radio freq for SAR.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Suppressed rifle with thermal, IR laser/illuminator, visible laser and white light
Hand held thermal for spotting
Base jump with MUM
spare batteries
Surefire flashlight and usually a backup insight M3 on my belt. Yep that makes 3 lights, can't have to many when you're in the woods.
Tripod
knife
Cell phone
thermal cell when needed
That's it the rest stays in truck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top