Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 2:13:35 PM EDT
Ok. I know this is a little strange but here goes it anyway

My dad fiiinally shot my ar and loves it. Esp after shooting it with night vision. He wants one. After much talk he decided on a pistol. I am starting to build it and have a question in regards to caliber. I am going with a 10.5 barrel. He wants to use it for deer and hogs under a 100 yds plus shooting hogs from the pen and occasional coyote. He is basically gonna haul it around in his truck or in his tractor. Hence the pistol build. I'm thinking of going with 300 blackout and use supers but wasn't sure how they would perform vs 556 in the same barrel length. I also have no problem dripping 150 bucks or so on a quality barrel to gain accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok here is mine.  I have removed the Sig Brace but I can put it back on if I decide to use it extensively before I get the SBR.  It is a 10.5 Tromix barrel in 458 SOCOM.  It is very accurate to 100 yds, 2" groups with simple zero power red dot.  I likes 325gn HDY FTX and 300GN Barnes TTSX

Why the 458?  Because it is super fun to shoot.  If you are looking for a more easily accessible round go with a short barrel 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel.  Both are accurate out to 200+ in short barrel.  They also provide a bit more whoop over the 556.  A 556 would work though.  I know of 2 guys here that use them and kill hogs regularly out to 300yds, yes with 10.5" barrels too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
.300 blk was designed to work with a 8-9in bbl, 5.56 loses usefulness rapidly as the bbl gets shorter than 20in which is what it was designed for. So the simple answer is 300 kicks the crap out of 5.56 in the specific conditions you pose.(except for dispatching trapped animals where spending more than a .22lr is a bit wasteful) .458 is definitely cool but prolly no ammo at Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Soul
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 10.5" in 5.56.
Works great.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
A 10.5 5.56 will work, a .300blk will work arguably better in the circumstances. I priced some .458, Midway has them between $3 and $4 a round. .300blk can be found at Wally world for under a buck-sometimes well under a buck. Premium .300blk Barnes 110Gn Vortec goes about $1.50 at my LGS right there with premium.223/5.56.

Similar velocity, similar money and two or three times the bullit weight that allows for minor placement error makes sense for a shooter who is probably not already sitting on a few thousand rounds of 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
7.62x39.

Will do most anything a supersonic 300 Whatever it's currently called can, at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. He doesn't have an AR yet, so the "mags and bolt are the same" BS is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

7.62x39.

Will do most anything a supersonic 300 Whatever it's currently called can, at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. He doesn't have an AR yet, so the "mags and bolt are the same" BS is irrelevant.
View Quote

I wouldn't say irrelevant, he might want to own another upper one day etc.

But you are correct on the first part, 7.62x39 will do the job just the same (actually a little better).  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
OP says deer might be shot opportunistically out to a hundred...

You would take a shot at a deer with some x39 shit ball resting your pistol on a tractor tire at that range? I'd be nervous using a round that was known to be accurate.

Quality x39, you know the kind you might take that shot with would probably be as expensive and less available than .300blk

For a mag dump on a sounder of hogs at thirty yards the x39 would work awesome, even with that Zimbabwean HP ammo that technically is not ball, provided a source of reliable thirty round mags for the AR platform could be found. Not to knock the 7.62x39 for its intended purpose and from a gun intended for it but it is not super compatable with the AR unless the mythical AR lower that takes AK mags becomes readily available.

The OP did not to me upon several readings of the post seem to be asking to be talked out of .300blk
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 10" Core 15 300 BLK barreled upper.  With factory 125 SST, it shot 1950 fps and would do 1.5" groups.  With handloads of the 125 SST, it'll do 2100 fps and 1" groups at 100.  I recently built a SBR upper with an AR Performance 12.5" 6.8 barrel, and it's pushing 120 SSTs at 2450 fps and doing 1" groups at 100 yards.  Of course, the Core 15 barrel was around $120 and the 6.8 was $250 or so.  I'd recommend either for deer or hogs under 150 yards.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Is an AR pistol going to be accurate enough to do that kind of stuff with? Other than the pen shooting of course.  Shooting offhand at a pig or a deer with an AR pistol sounds really difficult.  I don't know, I'm curious.  Wouldn't you need something to support the gun for anything past 50 yards?

Before the ATF "clarified" their Sig Brace (and similar) position saying you cannot shoot it from the shoulder I'd say it was a great idea but used "as designed" it sounds extremely difficult to use for your listed causes.  In full disclosure, I've never strapped on of those things to my arm and tried to shoot or hunt with one but it just doesn't scream best choice.  

*subscribing to this thread to learn something.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
There is nothing that says you can't use a bipod or moniPod for shooting aan ar pistol.  You can also use a geek weld with the buffer tube and no brace.  I have shotbpistol style with the 458 socom and got minute of hog, 2-3" groups at 50yds.  Gqve not taken it to the 100yd range since the sig brace rule change.  It is doalble though.  Also I am using the pistol as a gap filler until I can do the sbr tax stamp.  Just won't shoulder until it is cleared.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is nothing that says you can't use a bipod or moniPod for shooting aan ar pistol.  You can also use a geek weld with the buffer tube and no brace.  I have shotbpistol style with the 458 socom and got minute of hog, 2-3" groups at 50yds.  Gqve not taken it to the 100yd range since the sig brace rule change.  It is doalble though.  Also I am using the pistol as a gap filler until I can do the sbr tax stamp.  Just won't shoulder until it is cleared.
View Quote

Hadn't considered the bipod/monopod option, kind of defeats the purpose of having a compact shooter you can pull out and use quickly though.  Seems like a lightweight carbine with a shorter barrel/pinned flash hider would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hadn't considered the bipod/monopod option, kind of defeats the purpose of having a compact shooter you can pull out and use quickly though.  Seems like a lightweight carbine with a shorter barrel/pinned flash hider would be a better choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol works great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pistol works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol works great.

I gotta find one to shoot, I've always dismissed them as not having much use but maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I gotta find one to shoot, I've always dismissed them as not having much use but maybe not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol works great.

I've shot a lot of pigs with mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
They Will work great with lasers and night vision.  For those lucky enough to he able to use them, lasers and nv that is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They Will work great with lasers and night vision.  For those lucky enough to he able to use them, lasers and nv that is.
View Quote

No laser though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
They work great without too.  My toy would probably kill a laser or standard NV.  Need to get a thermal rated for heavy recoil. Already killed a red dot scope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They work great without too.  My toy would probably kill a laser or standard NV.  Need to get a thermal rated for heavy recoil.
View Quote

I use a PVS-14 in a LaRue QD mount and an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#20]
That setup would work great on my next build.  Putting together a 264lbc 10.5".  Yea I know it is defeating the 6.5, but doing the numbers gets me out to 260yds +.  I wanted something to fill the void like a blackout but did not want to reload another caliber.  I have a 20" 264lbc already so it just makes sense to me.  Between that and my socoms I am set.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That setup would work great on my next build.  Putting together a 264lbc 10.5".  Yea I know it is defeating the 6.5, but doing the numbers gets me out to 260yds +.  I wanted something to fill the void like a blackout but did not want to reload another caliber.  I have a 20" 264lbc already so it just makes sense to me.  Between that and my socoms I am set.
View Quote

I have an 18" .264LBC, I love the idea of a short barrel 6.5G, excellent ballistics for a short barrel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll let you know how it runs when I get it all together.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:01:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll let you know how it runs when I get it all together.
View Quote

Coolness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top