[#1]
Tagged for the updates.

Rifle looks awesome
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet, what rounds are you using?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I just finished my lil piggy firearm in 6.5 Grendel. 2 toned like your but I haven't decided on my optics yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats to OP for this thread being included in today's AR15.com Newsletter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats to OP for this thread being included in today's AR15.com Newsletter.
View Quote

The fact that it's both his site and his newsletter probably has something to do with it.

-bob
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Now let's see that hog hunting rifle with some dead hogs!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just finished my lil piggy firearm in 6.5 Grendel. 2 toned like your but I haven't decided on my optics yet.
View Quote

Good caliber choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
This should be good...Just the kind of info I am looking for.  Especially interested in the optic, as I need something that an"older guy with terrible vision" can see thru.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking rifle, good color contrast too, what scope is that?
You guys I believe moved from Victor NY, I just moved here from Rottenchester, 7 months ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rig, very interested in hearing the following:
Caliber & Bullet Weight
Factory or hand loads
Manufacturer of the Upper and Lower
Barrel Twist

Plus I want to see some of the hogs!....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
What optics are you using?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice looking rig, very interested in hearing the following:
Caliber & Bullet Weight
Factory or hand loads
Manufacturer of the Upper and Lower
Barrel Twist

Plus I want to see some of the hogs!....
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
6.8 Boss.

16" barrel unless you suppress it. Lot's of folks use a 12.5" barrel, still kill them dead out to 400 yards.

You have lot's of folks in your area with experience.

It is the hog hunting caliber of choice. A lot of the pros use it.

I'm sure you can contact our own Dr. Chris Lucci, HTR of Wild River Ranch who lives in Texas, and is a big part of the 6.8 game. He's tested and helped develop ammunition for several companies for the 6.8 since he switched over himself several years ago.

He probably takes more hogs than anyone per year, ( deer too ).

There are several other members here that are professionals that are on tv and on youtube that use the 6.8.

I now this sounds strange, but look over on 68forums for information, check out the hunting section. You'll see several members there that are members here as well that do it for a living.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't want this to turn into a photo thread for everyone's rifles... there is another thread for that. This is a discussion thread for the newsletter article.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I am curious about the optic. Anticipating your reply.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am curious about the optic. Anticipating your reply.
View Quote

That`s a IR Hunter. A recent new arrival on the thermal market. There`s a thread in the night vision forum on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
thank You
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Subscribed.  Pretty toy.  Let's see it in the field.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the email..... was curious to see the equipment list, so I clicked on link that brought me here.
But no equipment list? just another picture, am I missing something ?
Or are you posting, just to alert us of another future post, since you posted before you had the information to post about this time, and letting us know that soon you will be posting the information that you previously posted about giving, but didn't have any of the information that you said would be on your post, in your previous post, but that it's coming in the next post ??  

wouldn't it just be easier to get your list 1st., then post your info ?

it might be helpful to make a list to reference, so you will know whats on/ or in your gun at any given time. then you wouldn't have to tear it down to see what you built? or bought? or what the last changes were?
if your constantly adding new equipment to test, don't you need to know what equipment is in your weapon to be able to evaluate it?  

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Read the thread twice but missed the caliber of Ed Sr's rifle? Was it 6.8mm?

OK, .300 Blackout
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
That`s a IR Hunter
View Quote

Original or Mrk II ?
Already got a gun, need a scope.

Edited, thanks for the detailed update.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm curious as to the thermal site with IR laser. Seems interesting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thermal scopes do not see IR 850nm lasers. The IR laser is an adjunct for when you do have NVOs.

But I am curious to hear how Ed has his weapon kitted out too as I hog hunt virtually everyday and everynight as well.

Most of my hunting is in pure unadulterated wilderness and swamps, 60,000 acres of it has not been touched by humans since the Spanish Conquistadors set out the original hogs that were first let loose on the North American continent and those are the hogs we are killing here 500 years later.

Everyone is going to have a different kit to handle the different terrain and environs, so will be interested to see how the kit fits the terrestrial terrain.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thermal scopes do not see IR 850nm lasers. The IR laser is an adjunct for when you do have NVOs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point, must be running night vision also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Boss, lets see some video!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
You and I have the exact same problem living in the sticks with limited connectivity and bandwidth, totally understand.

We also have a .300 BlackOut on a RRA lower and reloading to 1,050 fps at sea level with 247 grain lead bullets using a FLIR T-50 in front of a Leopold VX-R Patrol 1-4 scope with can for use around suburban environs. We have some of the Lehigh subsonic bullets and am looking closely at those new G2 bullets you are trying out, so keep us up to date on their performance please.

Took out three medium sized hogs at the feeder two weeks ago and the shooter on the .300 BlackOut did not know which hog to take as there were three shooters, so after two were down at 100 yards and the other sow was high tailing it out of there, he went into action and the hog got a new arsehole drilled and bullet stopped at the sternum and DRT, did some massive damage and I was very impressed with the bullet performance and the new rear end hole on that sow!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Boss, lets see some video!
View Quote

Food for thought I increased my bandwidth by using my newest smart phone as a mobil hotspot it is a little slow but not bad. And it was cheaper to up GB with US cellular than through Dish. Great looking rig! Glad to see your enjoying the move. Kill a lot more of them little evil pest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Who makes that handguard/forearm?

Thanks,
Randy
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Great article and photos! I've always sort of been on the fence about how I felt about the .300 BO.  After starting a thread awhile back to learn more about it's potential and combing it with the information in your article, I feel like I understand the appeal now.  Seems like an excellent hog hunting cartridge after considering it's many "talents".  

Your rifle is great!  Seems like you have a near perfect hog hunting rifle and definitely creates a fair bit of jealousy even though I don't have any real hog hunting options.  I love reading the various hog hunting threads and living vicariously through all the fun y'all have.  The gun and components are all obviously top notch and very cool but it was stuff like using the $50 Plano case from Walmart that really impressed me.  What a great idea, looks better than cases I've seen selling for a couple hundred dollars.

I've managed to acquire a 5.56, 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf so I'm armed for hogs but for now my situation makes the opportunity tough so I'll keep reading all the great stories on Arfcom.  Thanks for the great post/article (and website), looking forward to watching how your setup evolves!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#34]
GREAT WRITE-UP!.  

I almost left work to go hog hunting...lol

I have been sitting on the fence for sometime on building my next AR just for Hogs, it's all down to bullet, and I am on the Fence between 6.8 or .300 BLK.

You just loaded the scale to the BLK..lol  

I am interested in your silencer, please let me know when you guys are ready to release info on it.

Thanks again for the write-up!

Happy Hog Hunting!

“Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way.”
--General George S. Patton
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#36]
This was a great read. Thanks for the post. I have one question about your overall length, I am going to file my form 1 to build an 8 inch 300blk and did not know what to put as the overall length. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice rifle, but I like mine better.

300 AAC Blackout
Colt receivers
Noveske 10.2 1-7" twist SS barrel
Geissele MK4 rail
Geissele SSA-E trigger
ATPIAL-C
FLIR RS64-35
Silencerco SAKER 7.62 can w/ Trifecta FH

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Great detailed write up explaining what has worked for you over the past, and the changes you've made through hunting experiences. Many don't have the time or spare dollars to spend to go through different set ups and equipment to end up with the best tool for the job. They rely on reading, and researching others experiences to make decisions on what equipment to purchase for their style of hunting.

Over the years I've tried many different nv set ups and ended up with a mk2 on top of a 16" ultralight criterion barreled .308. Also, with a close quarters  ir laser with a titanium can. Again this is what I ended up with after going through .223's, sbr 6.8's, and always back to a .308.  I rarely use the ir laser, however if their is a close quick shot I can always hit the pressure switch when there's no time to turn on the scope.  

Curious about your results with the .300 blk out. I have buddies that switched to them with mixed results. Are you primarily using the Barnes 110gr tsx's? Or you using the subs?

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Could not add anything to that. Spot on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
Curious about your results with the .300 blk out. I have buddies that switched to them with mixed results. Are you primarily using the Barnes 110gr tsx's? Or you using the subs?

I think the problem people have is not understanding the limitations.

If you're shooting supers, then I've found e 130gr TSX to be great. I'm sure the 110s would be just as good, and give a little more velocity and flatter trajectory. The 130 is easily found in a factory loading with the Hog Hammer round, and I currently am not loading for the 300blk.

If I'm hunting open land, and usually accompanied by others shooting .223, 6.8, or .308 (always suppressed), I stick with the supers. They're going to be making noise so I might as well benefit from the super round. However, if I am hunting somewhere where we need to be quiet, the subs come into play and are the only round (other than a 9mm) we can use.

In a few instances, we've had a single pig close by with a large sounder 75yds or so away, and the sub allows us to take out the close pig without him giving us away or us scaring the rest of the hogs off. For this reason I often carry a sub in the chamber and supers in the mag. This also helps if we come across a pest we want to eliminate as we drive along without making too much noise.

A subsonic 220gr is not an immediate 1-shot solution if your shot placement is not a head/spine shot (and after the first shot you take what you can get). To get effective results with the subs, you have to get expansion, and the 187gr-220gr bthp/amax/plastic tipped bullets just don't do it. In order to get guaranteed expansion and quick kills you have to go with the exotics, like the Lehigh Defense and G2 Research offerings I mentioned. These bullets are pre-scored to facilitate expansion so you get penetration then expansion upon hitting soft tissues which prevents pass through, helps dump energy, increases diameter, and creates sharp edges that help increase damage.

The other thing to keep in mind is POA/POI and knowing where your various rounds hit at various ranges if you're going to be switching back and forth. A 110gr super at velocity and a 220gr at 1050fps are not going to behave the same from 20 to 200 yds, so you have to know your drops and understand the subsonic is a 100yd max round for hunting.

I think a lot of people either try to hunt with regular subs and get pigs that run away, or they play with too many rounds and never get to know one well enough to work with it. If they stick to supers out of an unsuppressed 16" barrel, they'll tell you it's inferior to a 5.56, 6.5 or 6.8, and it is in that role. But when you consider the 300blk super's capabilities out to 300yds, and then the ability to shoot suppressed subs out of the same 8" barrel, the 300s unique capabilities start to show.

For pig hunting, the size and toughness of the game combined with the typical ranges at which we hunt around here (20-150yds), it seems to be a perfect fit.

I also think the subsonic expanding bullet "technology" is just now getting attention and hopefully costs will come down and more people will be able to use them and get better results. More terminal ballistics results are needed, and that's something we're working on right now. As always, these are my own opinions and even those are still being formed as I get more and more experience with various rounds against hogs.
View Quote

Makes sense. I've been in similar circumstances with a couple of loaners in between us and a good size sounder. Didn't have any other option but  to whack the loaners due to being blown otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#43]
If you are looking for a hard hitting 300 BlackOut subsonic load, check out the 247 grain NOE cast bullet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Unrelated to the rifle (which is cool and look forward to more details on the suppressor), I found the use of he plain Plano great as I have a couple beat up versions of same model.

Question is, what do you call that shiney, stiffer foam in the case?I have been using the standard foam but wonder if the stiff stuff might be easier to cut, etc. I have several different foam cut patterns per case depending on what I need to carry. Always making new cuts and I am interested in easier path.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's a closed cell foam- comes in various weights (densities) but it is stiffer and easier to cut than open cell foams. Usually you can buy it in 1" sheets and just layer the case. I cut it to size for this case from the sheet.
View Quote

Cool. Do you have a preferred source?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Hey Randy-

That is an ARFCOM free floated 12" smooth handguard. It is available in 9, 12, and 15" lengths and uses standard barrel nuts to attach (so no special tools needed).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Randy

Hey Randy-

That is an ARFCOM free floated 12" smooth handguard. It is available in 9, 12, and 15" lengths and uses standard barrel nuts to attach (so no special tools needed).
I didn't realize I lived that far under a rock, that I had never heard of these.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I didn't realize I lived that far under a rock, that I had never heard of these.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Randy

Hey Randy-

You and me both. That is a truly unique looking AR. Very neat build, thanks for sharing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top