Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 5:03:09 PM EDT
"Hog Herd of at least 50 that come most nights tearing up my farm and my neighbors land. County has a $5 tail bounty. You have free rein to take em out."

Heading to my brother's small (15 acre) farm land near Smithville, Tx Friday evening to help him eradicate as many hogs as we can. They come in a small dry creek bed with plenty of land elevation behind for some safe shooting. I invited 3 of my hunting buddies to help stop the pests.

Given the small land size and lack of machine guns, thermal or night optics and suppressors we have decided on this approach to the hunt:
1. Bait the shit out of the area as soon as we get there Friday evening with corn, compost, jello and whatever other smelly hog lure anyone can think of. We want to keep them in close so it will be stacked high.
2. We have several spot lights, car headlights and light rigs that we will aim at the bait and throw on at last second if possible.
3. Keep quiet and scan the bait with our set of NV binoculars.
4. Option A) Unleash 2 AR's, an AK and 30-30 brass/lead hell into whatever unfortunate animals walk into the killing zone.
   Option B) One shooter Shoots X many pounds of Tannerite
   Option C) Shoot Tannerite and brass/lead hell
5. Drink Beers and Enjoy
6. Process hogs worth eating
7. Dispose of the rest
8. Collect Bounties

Thoughts? Concerns? Better ways of doing it? Great Light Gear to recommend? Hog lures?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Can your shooter hit tannerite within two seconds of flipping on the light? Because that's about how long it will take the hogs to scatter

If you had more time I'd say build a big fence trap
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have world famous marksman SATAC coming. Plus I can set my gun up so it with the bipod and monopod so it will be on target and all you have to do is pull the trigger.

I was told I will have unlimited access and the fence trap will happen...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Also we will do the same thing in the morning minus the lights.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are coming traveling in a creek bed you have a pretty good advantage. I killed a 3/4 of a sounder once like that because they didn't know where to run and came right to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

4. Option A) Unleash 2 AR's, an AK and 30-30 brass/lead hell into whatever unfortunate animals walk into the killing zone.

View Quote

BE CAREFUL

I cannot stress enough how much trust you must have in your fellow shooters if there are multiple guns in action.  Pigs go nuts and run every direction, and I have seen them charge straight through the firing line on many many occasions.

Make a mental checklist and keep updating as you stalk up on the pigs.

1. Where are the pigs.

2. What is behind them.

3. Where are my buddies.

4. What is my acceptable field of fire.

The "one two three shoot" thing rarely works well, designate one guy to take the first shot and everyone else follows as they can.

DO NOT DEVIATE from acceptable field of fire.

Don't hesitate to keep one man out of the firing action as a backup and a field of fire minder.  I've been in this role a few times and its actually lots of fun watching the shit go down :D

All that being said, my experience is that after two guns, you really aren't adding much to your killing power but you are adding to the danger factor.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
+1, take Bushman's advice, too many guns past two is too dangerous at night.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Attaching chemlights to all parties helps with situational awareness. The hogs haven't really seemed to care about the light.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My only other piece of advice is cameras.  lots of cameras
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Safety is definitely #1 concern. I trust the guys with my life and have hunted with them for years. Looks like we have a 15 million candle power spot light :)
pics yes
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1, take Bushman's advice, too many guns past two is too dangerous at night.
View Quote

Yup.

Plan, as posted, sounds dangerous as hell.  

If people are seeing 'herds of 50' then they are using sunlight to see them and count them.  If the hogs are coming in daylight, why not hunt them in the daytime?

Grazing fire, at running hogs, means you ARE going to be sending rounds off your property.  Where they land is still your responsibility.

Shooting a Tannerite bomb?  Not No, but Fuck no!

You have any idea how far those projectiles can go?  Have you tested this device?  Have you determined the minimum safe distance?  Is an explosive device a 'legal means' in your state?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Safety is definitely #1 concern. I trust the guys with my life and have hunted with them for years. Looks like we have a 15 million candle power spot light :)
pics yes
View Quote

I've been hit with stray rounds (luckily ricochets/fragments) on five different occasions.  All from 'guys I know and trust' around guns.

People get downright stupid when it comes to seeing a hog.  Their tunnel vision blocks out a lot of safety red flags.  Especially, at night, with beer, and adrenaline.

Two shooters, max.

I've been hunting hogs since 1994.  I've seen just about everyone make a dumb mistake around hogs.  Luckily, nobody ever got seriously hurt.

FWIW, hogs can see, hear, and smell better than a human.  The odds of even seeing the hogs goes to almost zero with the plans that you posted.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plan, as posted, sounds dangerous as hell.  

If people are seeing 'herds of 50' then they are using sunlight to see them and count them.  If the hogs are coming in daylight, why not hunt them in the daytime?
View Quote

this

and IME keep those cars far away.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO you are asking for trouble if you have more than two people shooting at the same group of pigs at night. I used to take 3 or 4 people at a time until I got very close to getting shot one time.  Now I wont take more than 2 simply because I can stand behind them and be close enough to grab their guns before they can accidentally shoot each other.  Once the pigs start scattering, people get tunnel vision and forget that someone is next to them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been hit with stray rounds (luckily ricochets/fragments) on five different occasions.  All from 'guys I know and trust' around guns.

People get downright stupid when it comes to seeing a hog.  Their tunnel vision blocks out a lot of safety red flags.  Especially, at night, with beer, and adrenaline.

Two shooters, max.

I've been hunting hogs since 1994.  I've seen just about everyone make a dumb mistake around hogs.  Luckily, nobody ever got seriously hurt.

FWIW, hogs can see, hear, and smell better than a human.  The odds of even seeing the hogs goes to almost zero with the plans that you posted.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pics yes

Two shooters, max.

TRG

100% agree with this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
You must like to stay up.  

I used to just trap (round pen type)  them.  So much easier.  Have a good night sleep.  Go over to the trap and shoot them.  Nothing escapes and it is so much safer.

But you do have to set up the trap in advance and let them get used to going in and out of it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Word is they aren't very skiddish.
Safety is #1 concern.
Tannerite is 50 state legal, hogs are pests, no tannerite hog hunting regs in TX.
I'm not putting ball bearings in it and making a claymore, its a concussive explosion. You can use just enough to stun or go all out and destroy them.
Safety is #1 concern.
We will hunt morning too.
This is just attempt 1 so trapping will happen, just not tonight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Trapping is no fun at all.  :D

Shoot the heck out of those suckers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
tannerite would need to be only under optimal conditions thing.

meaning daylight into dusk.   that way you can confirm the maximum number in close proximity.

Survivors will not be a good thing as they will grow more cautious or skiddish.    Need to limit chances for stragglers making it out and that is what you shoot at if anything is left standing.

Tannerite at night would be dumb and a waste.

/edit

And if you do it dont video it and post it online...   Once was enough even if it was amazing.  Saw it and couldnt help think of Michelle Rodriguez in Avatar, "Freakin daisy cutter."    Wipe those hogs off the face of the map so they dont dare come within 1000 klicks of your AO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in the 2 guns max. camp.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
L ambush

Hit them from the flank first, then the other shooters nail them as they try to run up the draw to get away. .

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]
In (for AAR & lulz). Be safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like there maybe a good opportunity to put some bacon in the freezer.  While I see where you are planning to shoot down from higher elevation into a creek bed.  The first question I always ask is how close and what direction are the closest homes?
If less than a half mile, might be very neighborly to inform local residences about possible gun fire at night.  It was suggested to me that when I night hunt to contact local game warden office and inform them of plans.  Good way to make sure you don't get surprised in teh dark.  Btw, if your brother is not going to be with you.....Texas law says you have to have written permission on your person from the land owner.  If you get a few, take pics and show them to the neighbor....maybe he will let you hunt his place as well?  word of mouth amongst farm/ranch people is better than gold.

I hope your hunt however you choose to do it is safe, productive and the alcohol doesn't come out until the hunt is over.
Smithville is a very nice area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
L ambush

Hit them from the flank first, then the other shooters nail them as they try to run up the draw to get away. .

View Quote

Sounds like a great way to get someone shot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Line of sight was good. Everything felt safe. We did not use the tannerite.
We had two compost piles and a feeder with corn and hog bait. His property is smallish but the neighbors have hundreds of acres with nothing on it behind his property.
We stayed out until 12:30 and were back out at 5:30.
Damn hogs came inbetween...
We did see several deer. But no animals were harmed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

We had two compost piles and a feeder with corn and hog bait. His property is smallish but the neighbors have hundreds of acres with nothing on it behind his property.

View Quote

Next time, sleep in the dirt.  1 hour power naps are your friend.  :D
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Beer and firearms is just plain stupid, same goes for beer and motorcycles.

V
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

V
View Quote

You've obviously never had a minibike

We used to throw on the leathers, hop on the pit bike, ride in a tight circle, knee down, someone hands you a beer, and you can't stop riding in a circle til you chug it.  It's more entertaining to watch than do

I think there was moonshine involved this day:

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

V
View Quote

What about cocaine?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Darn........had hoped to see stories of a great hunt and a freezer full of bacon.    any chance to try again soon?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Better ways of doing it?
View Quote

10 Claymores.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What about cocaine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

What about cocaine?

Next he'll tell us we can't be naked.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

What about cocaine?

TRG

I won't let anyone convince me a night time nude encounter with a big sow is wrong, when it feels so right.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#33]
More than two shooters is fine if you are experienced. We usually all stand pretty close to each other. That way you have a larger field of shooting. If you move around to the side due to pigs moving make sure you yell it out. Once the shooting starts communication is key on keeping up with everyone's location. If I move around the side sometimes I will squat just in case.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
More than two shooters is fine if you are experienced. We usually all stand pretty close to each other. That way you have a larger field of shooting. If you move around to the side due to pigs moving make sure you yell it out. Once the shooting starts communication is key on keeping up with everyone's location. If I move around the side sometimes I will squat just in case.
View Quote

Use limit stakes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

My sop for a squatting guy is to go up and put my knee on his back to make sure he doesn't get up.  Do not try if you aren't suppressed :D

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
V
View Quote

Notice Beer was #5 on the list after we did the shooting... So as for being plain stupid... read the order of things and your brain before you judge.

My brother caught three pigs in his trap last night. Someone will get to enjoy the pork.
As for me I hope to go in a few weeks on a Saturday so that we can get there early and keep the noise down. We didnt arrive until after 7:30 on the Friday we went. Difficult trying to get everyone off work and together through traffic.

Limit stakes are a good idea and i was planning on using chem lights but both academies i went to before hand were out of them. Turns out we didnt need them with safe shooting in almost all directions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Notice Beer was #5 on the list after we did the shooting... So as for being plain stupid... read the order of things and your brain before you judge.

My brother caught three pigs in his trap last night. Someone will get to enjoy the pork.
As for me I hope to go in a few weeks on a Saturday so that we can get there early and keep the noise down. We didnt arrive until after 7:30 on the Friday we went. Difficult trying to get everyone off work and together through traffic.

Limit stakes are a good idea and i was planning on using chem lights but both academies i went to before hand were out of them. Turns out we didnt need them with safe shooting in almost all directions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
V

Almost?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We used to throw on the leathers, hop on the pit bike, ride in a tight circle, knee down, someone hands you a beer, and you can't stop riding in a circle til you chug it.  It's more entertaining to watch than do

http://youtu.be/u01YmRwqmp0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

http://youtu.be/u01YmRwqmp0

Or minibike tag. That was always a blast.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Almost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
V

Almost?

I would say all but my brother has a pallet shed behind where we were hunting. We didnt want to shoot that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is one of the 3 he got.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]
with a herd of 50, wear a helmet, it will be raining hogs

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#43]
We were thinking on 2 pounds. That looks like maybe 20 to lift those pigs that high.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sleep?

No sir.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IMO you are asking for trouble if you have more than two people shooting at the same group of pigs at night. I used to take 3 or 4 people at a time until I got very close to getting shot one time.  Now I wont take more than 2 simply because I can stand behind them and be close enough to grab their guns before they can accidentally shoot each other.  Once the pigs start scattering, people get tunnel vision and forget that someone is next to them.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The dollar stores normally have the glow sticks and they will work for one night
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top