Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:08:40 AM EDT
So my cousin has invited me down to TX to hunt hogs on the family farm.  It's 240 acres, which isn't much by TX standards.

There are some other guys that occasionally hunt the property, they have feeders and game cameras up.  My cousin said in one of the game camera photos he stopped counting at 90 pigs.

My boys have a week off for spring break, figure 2 days to drive there, 2 days to drive back and that gives us 5 days of hunting.

What's the chance that if we come down and get the 5 day hunting license that we will run all the pigs off the first night and not see any for the rest of the week?

What do we do for the other 4 nights?  call coyotes?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd do it. Get some pigs and then if they move out of the area, hunt whatever other varmints you see at night. Somethings always out at night in the country and no telling what you might see. Jackrabbits, coons, ring tail cats, foxes, coyotes, etc. Enjoy your time here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Man after you shoot still be quiet. Don't just go all over the land, hunt the closest point to where you enter from. After you hunt one night they might skip the next. I think you will get more than one chance st them.
Remember spring time means plenty of food, so on the other hand I wouldn't be suprized if they were very scarce. Slowly hunt your way in deeper, don't go all over the place scouting, hunt em down and kill them
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Where in TX?  If there really are 100+ pigs on just 240 acres, you won't have problems finding them. If they are coming to feeders then just keep hunting feeders morning and dusk until they stop coming.  Go out on foot during the middle of the day and walk creek beds or draws and you'll find them snoozing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Suggestions:

1-fly down on Southwest Airlines.....they often offer super cheap  fly anywhere rates.  might have to adjust your off work days to match the flight schedule.  but will get you two+ days to hunt

2- send money to your cousin to buy and drop three bags of corn a week for three weeks prior to hunt.  Pour beer on the corn and it will get more attention.

3-like the smart hunter said, after shot.....wait, his buddys might come for the corn.      

Good Luck...........let us know and plan on taking pics or we will "hound" you
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If they are bedding down on the property then look for that area and avoid it if you are scared of running them off.
As others have said, bait and hunt the edges but don't go in hot on their bedding spot. Maybe the last two days.

If it grows in that area look for white brush thicket, that is where they will be bedding.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice.

Just talked with my cousin again.  He has had some other guys hunting on the property in the past.  They have feeders up.  I'll send some money to fill them with corn.  But my cousin said he hasn't seen much hog sign lately.

Good news is he said his uncle (from the other side of his family) has some property and was just complaining about hogs on it, so if my cousin's 240 is a bust, I have another property to hunt on.  Sounds like we should see something.

I'm getting psyched for this trip.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I had kin folk like that, good luck on your hunt!! Take pics
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Just got back from the hunt a few hours ago.

Had a great time catching up with my cousin.  My 2 college aged sons and my nephew came along.  On the good news for my cousin there weren't any hogs coming on his property.  Not a track at the feeders all week.  We spent one night until about 2 am watching a couple of them with night vision but only saw deer and rabbits.  So my cousin called his cousin (who's father had joined the Army with my dad in '54)  He had over 400 acres a couple miles away in a river bottom.  Said he had hogs coming in all the time, come on over and kill them, although they had shot 2 the night before in the area they always see them.  So we went over about 6 PM and set up in an area they call the Bone Yard, had a nice stinky dead cow in it.  Saw some eyes reflecting in the IR lights across the field but couldn't positively identify them as hogs so I didn't shoot.  Heard grunting and snorting on 3 sides of us, but couldn't see them to take a shot.  But it was enough to set the hook on us.  

We came back the following night and split up.  My older son went into the woods behind the Bone Yard,  while my nephew and younger son  set up on one side of a mesquite thicket and I set up on the other side.  About 7:30 PM I saw a big spotted sow and a bunch of piglets go by on the other side of the fence on the neighbors property.  I didn't take a shot because I thought they might come out where the boys were. They disappeared but about 8:15 just as the sun was going down one black hog came under the fence on my side of the thicket.  He was headed away from where everyone else was so I took a shot, he circled around and I kept shooting.  My 2nd shot hit him on the run, then I missed a few.  By that time my younger son and nephew had moved enough through the mesquite to join in on the shooting.  The pig was still running around and my nephew hit it in the hind quarter breaking his hip.  After a bunch of squealing he finally died.

Here is the video of my hog kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPVj6eZBkUs&feature=youtu.be

Here he is dead:

</a>" />

And here is where he ended up the following day:

</a>" />

As I cooked him up on the smoker the boys decided to head back out one last time.  In the mean time my cousin had talked to his cousin and he said shoot them on the other side of the fence and drag them back over.

The boys were back in place a little after 6 and the spotted sow and some piglets came by.  My nephew had brought his .270 Encore instead of his AR15 and hammered the big sow.  My boys were a little to far away and the piglets ran off before my nephew could reload his Encore.  But they came back and the boys each scored a little piglet.  They waited another hour but the rest of the piglets never came back.

Here is the sow and piglets:

</a>" />

Here is one of the piglets with my knife sheath on it:

</a>" />

All in all a great week.  We killed some pigs, drank some beer, spent some time on my cousins range (not while drinking beer), ate well and made some great memories.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool vid, glad you had some fun!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you and yours had a good time and had some good hunting.   It's those special times you will remember and talk about for years. Now you know how.....

Come getcha some more.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Already planning our return trip.  Should be mid August when it is nice and warm out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know that I would call August in Texas nice and warm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know that I would call August in Texas nice and warm.
View Quote

I spent 6 years in the Simpson Desert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top