Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:56:44 PM EDT
Hey, guys,

First foray into the hog hunting forum - tried to do some research on Google and read all six active pages of this forum, but just wanted to ask the specific question to those with more experience - I'm going to be going hog hunting for the first time soon, and trying to prepare some rigs:

Will a 10.3" barreled 5.56MM SBR be sufficient for hogs up to about 100 yards using Hornady T2 75 gr. BTHP and CBC 77 gr. OTMs?

Thanks in advance for your input, guys,

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll tell Ya what I found that SSA 64g 5.56 soft points do some damage! Honestly it's all about shot placement.
No matter what round u shoot,,,wait for,, and make a good shot..
If u don't care just throw fmj' sat em!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That will work
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
That set up will be more than adequate. You could use 193 or 855 if you wanted. Aim at the neck, behind the ear or right in the forehead (my favorite). Hog anatomy is a bit different than a deer and their heart is more forward and low on the shoulder/brisket area. Basically if you hit them anywhere from the middle of the shoulder to the neck they will drop.

I shot one in the neck with the CBC 77gr a couple of weeks ago and it didn't really do much more than a 55gr fmj would have. The heavy OTM's really shine when making longer shots or shooting deer
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Aim here for lights out:

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot them with everything from 40gr V-maxes to Hornady 75gr super performances. With the .223/5.556 it is about shot placement…

60gr V-max on these little guys.

40gr V-max couple days before on mama.

There usually more small hogs in the sounder than large hogs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys - and it sounds like I'm going to have no problems - at least equipment-wise with this.  

Just to give a little more fidelity on the situation - I was asked by a co-worker if I could help with a hog eradication problem on his property at relatively short notice, turns out, I have all the toys, erhm, tools for hog eradication that he doesn't have (ARs, IR lasers, NODs) - and of the two rifles that I have with zeroed IR lasers, one of them is a 10.3" M4A1 CQBR clone - and the ammunition is what I had on hand already (will be reimbursed ) that wasn't just FMJ plinking ammunition.  

Given the fact that I don't really have the time to re-zero another rifle with an IR laser before the scheduled date, I was just wanting to make sure I'd be good taking the CQBR "as is," or if I needed to make time to zero something else.  

Meanwhile, I'd been considering the possibility of converting one of my CQBR uppers to a .300 BLK, and depending on how this goes, I might just end up doing so - I also wish I'd had a chance to order some Barnes TSX, but was unable to, so, as I said, I'm going with the SD/duty ammunition that I have on hand for the task.  

Will try to update with how it goes - hopefully I'll have more than stupid questions to share next time!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Meanwhile, I'd been considering the possibility of converting one of my CQBR uppers to a .300 BLK, and depending on how this goes, I might just end up doing so - I also wish I'd had a chance to order some Barnes TSX, but was unable to, so, as I said, I'm going with the SD/duty ammunition that I have on hand for the task.
View Quote
^ This I would like to see.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys - and it sounds like I'm going to have no problems - at least equipment-wise with this.  

Just to give a little more fidelity on the situation - I was asked by a co-worker if I could help with a hog eradication problem on his property at relatively short notice, turns out, I have all the toys, erhm, tools for hog eradication that he doesn't have (ARs, IR lasers, NODs) - and of the two rifles that I have with zeroed IR lasers, one of them is a 10.3" M4A1 CQBR clone - and the ammunition is what I had on hand already (will be reimbursed ) that wasn't just FMJ plinking ammunition.  

Given the fact that I don't really have the time to re-zero another rifle with an IR laser before the scheduled date, I was just wanting to make sure I'd be good taking the CQBR "as is," or if I needed to make time to zero something else.  

Will try to update with how it goes - hopefully I'll have more than stupid questions to share next time!  

~Augee
View Quote

Nothing wrong with xm193.  If you hit it in the neck or head, 55g fmj will work as well as any other 5.56 load.  If you feel more comfortable with a heavy bullet, that will work too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

heck yea 5.56 will work fine with fmj even. shot placement and all. if you want to interject some thermal in the hunt hit me up
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

heck yea 5.56 will work fine with fmj even. shot placement and all. if you want to interject some thermal in the hunt hit me up
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7543/16238132712_f5a94121ec.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7543/16238132712_f5a94121ec.jpg

I may have to hit you up in the near future on that!  

Hunt's been postponed until next week due to weather, but I was already trying to find a way to get into hog hunting - and the preparation and research I've been doing has been leading me to believe I may have a new favorite hobby in the making.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top