Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 11:09:57 AM EDT
Guess the thread title about says it all.

I'm going to dedicate one of my 1:7 twist barreled ARs pretty much exclusively to hog hunting. I mention the 7 twist because I'm obviously thinking a heavier bullet would be better for hogs, but the primary consideration is a high probability of being able to find the round available from place to place. The object here is to not have to re-zero the rifle every time I buy ammo.

So, any thoughts about an effective hog round that I'm likely to be able to find around GA? So far I'm finding that the 75-79 grain stuff is pretty scarce, so I'm wondering if there's a good 64-70 grain round that would be effective but easier to find.

Shots will likely be 100 yds. and under out of a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Fed Fusion MSR (62 gr).   Easy to find and it simply works.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
55 or 62 FMJ, go for what is on sale
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI, I switched to the 62gr fusion MSR for my 16' BCM as its exclusive hunting round due to it being so easy to find in my parts, every Walmart and gustier has it in store and even a few hardware stores like they used to. Its effective and accurate and reasonably priced in my opinion. I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, but here's a question: Federal shows two different products for .223 Fusion. One is just plain "Fusion" and it's listed @ 3000 fps MV, while the "Fusion MSR" is shown @ 2750 fps MV.

Is the plain "Fusion" therefore loaded a little hotter than the "Fusion MSR"?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
xm193 or any 5.56 55g fmj works pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
xm193 or any 5.56 55g fmj works pretty well.
View Quote

What I said but fell on deaf ears
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure where in GA you live you cannot find decent 556 ammo. I can get Barnes, hoghammer anytime at Academy. And as other said, M193 or M855 works fine on hogs at those distances.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK, but here's a question: Federal shows two different products for .223 Fusion. One is just plain "Fusion" and it's listed @ 3000 fps MV, while the "Fusion MSR" is shown @ 2750 fps MV.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The MSR stands for modern sporting rifle, it was just tested out of a shorter barrel so the velocity is reflected as such.  I chrono'd it at 2760-2780 out of a 16".

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5ZnQmKy2o

Couldn't get the pic or video to come up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Try it now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Try it now.
View Quote

Yep, that did it-thanks much!

It seems to me that it still isn't clear what difference if any exists between the two rounds. It's sorta a matter of who you listen to.

I may try to call Federal and see if pressing them a bit clarifies it any.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, not to hijack my own thread but I just got off the phone with Federal. It's pretty easy to tell I'm not the first person to ask them about this. They swear that there is a difference in the two rounds. The bullet is identical, but the primer and primer cup are different in the MSR. Additionally, they use different powders with the MSR being cleaner burning and optimized for a 16" barrel. Kicker is that they maintain that fired in identical barrels the MSR would have more velocity every time than the regular Fusion.

I tend to think they're being truthful here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Winchester 64 grain SP works well.  Available in factory loads, but I stuff my own.  Kills hogs just fine.  Deer too.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The MSR version supposedly has a harder primer which is more suitable for the AR15's floating firing pin.  Sounds like they may also be loading it with a modified burn rate propellant or something like that for better performance out of shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

OK, not to hijack my own thread but I just got off the phone with Federal. It's pretty easy to tell I'm not the first person to ask them about this. They swear that there is a difference in the two rounds. The bullet is identical, but the primer and primer cup are different in the MSR. Additionally, they use different powders with the MSR being cleaner burning and optimized for a 16" barrel. Kicker is that they maintain that fired in identical barrels the MSR would have more velocity every time than the regular Fusion.

I tend to think they're being truthful here.
View Quote
MSR outperformed it's own listed velocity out of my 16" bbl.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What about 62gr green tips? Haven't shot any yet but will in the next week. Figure its an AP round it should be able to get the job done. Coming out of a 10.5" PWS with silencerco specwar suppressor.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What about 62gr green tips? Haven't shot any yet but will in the next week. Figure its an AP round it should be able to get the job done. Coming out of a 10.5" PWS with silencerco specwar suppressor.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

First, it's not "AP".

Second...
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223
Why not M193/M855?

While these are not bad bullets, you will note that they are subject to large variations in neck length (distance the bullet penetrates before fragmenting); this variability is not desirable. In case of the short neck length, it is indeed an effective bullet. When 855 doesn't begin to fragment until 8"+, it will not be very effective on front torso shots and thin individuals; this explains the dissatisfaction of US combat troops with M855 in some cases. This is due to a phenomenon recently discovered called the "fleet yaw issue".

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

M855 is inferior to xm193 for hog killing.  M855 punches holes.  Xm193 tumbles and fragments when it hits bone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
M855 is inferior to xm193 for hog killing.  M855 punches holes.  Xm193 tumbles and fragments when it hits bone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Avatar gives credibility to this statement

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Liberty Silverado .223

Lead free awesomeness. Check it out on YouTube
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Liberty Silverado .223

Lead free awesomeness. Check it out on YouTube
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#25]
If I am after hogs I leave the .223 at home and opt for the 6.8 Rem. or 6.5 Grendel. I carry the .223 primarily for coyotes and use a varmint bullet to keep pelt damage down. If I take a shot on a hog with the .223 I try for the head neck shot and be done with it. My advice get what shoots the most accurate in your rifle…
P.S. I kill most of the hogs I catch with a .22 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I am after hogs I leave the .223 at home and opt for the 6.8 Rem. or 6.5 Grendel. I carry the .223 primarily for coyotes and use a varmint bullet to keep pelt damage down. If I take a shot on a hog with the .223 I try for the head neck shot and be done with it. My advice get what shoots the most accurate in your rifle…
P.S. I kill most of the hogs I catch with a .22 pistol.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top