Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 11:33:16 PM EDT
So back in the spring of 2011 my employer told me to kill on the hogs on the ranch.  Its 2700 acres high fenced with a fence buried 3' straight down below the 8' fence to keep predators and pigs out.  I trapped or killed somewhere around 350 hogs that spring using soured soybeans in traps and as bait.  Ever since that time we have only seen the same 3 boars on the game cameras and there is one at every feeder location year round.  I have tried soured corn, diesel soaked corn, soured soybeans, and all other sorts of baits to attract them but with no success.  Anyone have any suggestions on what will get them to stay in the same area for more than one day?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
shut down all of the feeders except any you can put panels around to keep the hogs out

Bait an easy access area up hard with cherry kool-aid and beer soaked corn and soak the area with sow scent as well
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]
During the summer I shut down all but two corn feeders one is behind my house the other is at the ranch owners house and both are lighted.  The other end of the problem with shutting down feeders is that we feed free choice protein year round for whitetails and there are over 20 locations for that.   The owner of the ranch does not want fences around the protein feeders.  I tried sow in heat scents with no luck.  I guess my next step would be to pen up a domestic sow and wait for her to go into heat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't ya just love it...you got phantom hogs. Lets say your feeder is at point A, you hunt from point B. Now you need to make point C and hunt point B...be ready and quick, you wont have much time to shoot.
This plan has been the last chance at killing one like that for me, or the dam hog just moves on.

A little bit if clarification, when you and your neighbor blast the hogs some survivors learn to track and find where the threat come from. Then they do the coyote circle the area thing and bust you At your stand or what ever, at spot (b) and don't  go to the feeder spot(a). So you have to make a new spot and watch your old spot.

The dog I have now is called 5...lol
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are weary of hunters and wise on traps you might have to try a new tactic. Maybe snares?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thermal and an electric cart
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of our blind locations have two blinds, an 8'x8'x6' ground blind and a treestand somewhere in the oaks with two feeding sites.  The problem with these hogs is that have not been seen by a hunter day or night at a blind location in 3 years only on game cameras in the middle of the night and very sporadically.   Most of the time they will show up at one location and not show up at all for a week until they are at a completely different one.  

As far as thermals and an electric cart, if I had a ton of money I would buy some thermals, the cart would suck out here because the whole ranch is covered in deep sand and the batteries die quickly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Dig several holes around one feeder only. Put corn and a sweet powder like kool-aid, then a layer of dirt, then more corn, with a sprinkle of sweetener, a layer of dirt, then corn only, then cover completely with dirt. Where I hunt, the hogs always go to the holes and root for corn before eating it on the ground beneath the feeders.

Another thing you can do is make a pipe feeder. The hogs love to push the pipe around and have corn drop from the holes. Just don't make the holes to large or put too many holes in the pipe. You want them to work for the corn, not empty the pipe in an hour.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have NV, with IR lights and an eagerness to kill some pigs if you want help
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have dug post holes around the areas with the most hog sign and filled them with soured corn then sprinkled raspberry jello powder over the top.  I have tried the pipe as well.  They would hit them occasionally but without consistent patterning.  These boars are very elusive to say the least.  All the ideas being presented have worked well in the past just not on these last few hogs.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The only problem is finding the hogs. 2680 acres is a big area to cover to find 3 hogs.  We have 14 or so Gemsbok and they are just as elusive.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, just saw they are boars.  If I were you, I would do one of 2 things.  First, I would use a female hog as bait to bring them in a trap.  Second, I would just wait them out.  If all that is left are boars, they will die or show themselves eventually.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry, just saw they are boars.  If I were you, I would do one of 2 things.  First, I would use a female hog as bait to bring them in a trap.  Second, I would just wait them out.  If all that is left are boars, they will die or show themselves eventually.
View Quote

This right here. Three males in a  large enclosed area, they will eventually die. Much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a Dakota Alart driveway monitor.  Mine has a range of over 1/2 mile and last about three months on a set of batteries.   Set up a fenced  feeder or a pig pipe within view of the house and put the motion sensor very close to it, high enough to miss the raccoons.
Set receiver near the bed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The only problem is finding the hogs. 2680 acres is a big area to cover to find 3 hogs.  We have 14 or so Gemsbok and they are just as elusive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that is a good size area.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, and the buddy I hunt pigs with has thermal as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, what general area are you in, nearest town etc. I may be flying in your area soon and could possibly help.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Sour corn. In for if you get to fly the area, take pics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP, what general area are you in, nearest town etc. I may be flying in your area soon and could possibly help.
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Also, I would consider a cellular game camera if you haven't already. It's not a given but will let you know within a minute or 2 exactly where they are so you can try to get over there to take them out.
View Quote

Cellular game cameras would be awesome I will have to talk to my employer about getting some.  Cell service is kind of spotty out here at times it may or may not work.  As to answer your question about their size, yes they are probably over 300 pounds.  I have a few game camera pictures of the hogs next to some 220 pound bucks and they are a lot bigger than the bucks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I had a hunter finally get one of the big boars this morning.  The dad is a professional photographer and he did not want to hunt from a blind so we sat on the ground next to a mesquite tree to try and rattle in some deer ( I told him I thought it was to late in the season but he wanted to anyway).   The photographers daughter was the hunter and when that boar popped out of the brush at 22 yards she shot and dropped him with a .243. It was a 290 pound spotted boar.  So now its down to two big boars.  What a lucky kid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Since stationary blinds n feeders aren't working..........would be good to consider FLIR and stalking.     but if you only have two hogs to look for.....might be a long hunt.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top