Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 5:18:31 AM EDT
say you are night hunting hogs w/ a NV device and an aiming laser.  Is it really important to use an IR laser rather than red?  Can hogs even see red?  Do they flip out when they see a dot?

It would be nice to be able to just use the red laser I have rather than have to get and zero in an IR laser and swap between them etc.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
anything will work until they associate it with danger

if they cannot see it, they cannot react
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You will spook way more hogs/varmints with a red/green laser than you will with an IR laser. I'd bet good money on that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine the bloom would be a problem. I've never looked at a visible laser through NODs before though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'll hvave to look at one of my red lasrs through my PVS
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I imagine the bloom would be a problem. I've never looked at a visible laser through NODs before though.
View Quote

The blooming is not bad.  I use the visible laser on my DBAL to keep our cows from following me around at night.

I would not use a visible laser at night when hog hunting.  It will spook them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
thx guys.  yes, I guess I'll get an IR laser for that.  THey are pretty cheap thankfully.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thx guys.  yes, I guess I'll get an IR laser for that.  THey are pretty cheap thankfully.
View Quote

If you cannot afford an IR laser like a DBAl or a CQBL one option if yu have a PVS14 is to have the aimpoint twist mount and TM14 device you can quickly detach from you helment and mount it behind a red dot once you get lose enough to shoot

its a stop gap and not perfect but in a pinch itll help you
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a red/green laser from time to time.

Works fine, just do not wave it around like a light saber. Only turn it on when you are ready to press trigger.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not an issue since they are so low power.  Less bloom than a full power IR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If you've ponied up for a PVS 14, get an IR laser for it. It may be useful for something beyond hogs.

I have an LDI otal that works great. It returns pretty damn close to zero too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you've ponied up for a PVS 14, get an IR laser for it. It may be useful for something beyond hogs.

I have an LDI otal that works great. It returns pretty damn close to zero too.
View Quote

The otal is a great value.  Heck, even a rail master would work for a starter laser that wont break the bank.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
probably gong to get a rial master b/c of its size weight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an Aimpoint M3 on my .300BLK and use a helmet mounted PVS-14. That setup works fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool! Thanks for the info. Might come in handy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used visible Red lasers on hogs for a while now (before IR civilian lasers were near reasonable in price & I didn't have the time/resources/desire to build my own).  Bloom "can" be an issue, depending on the environment.  Dark nights, high humidity, and a hog with a lot of hair gives me a paper plate sized bloom through my NODs @ 100 yds vs. lots of moon illum, low humidity, less hairy pig gives me ~2" dot.

I don't turn the laser on until I'm getting ready to shoot, and I haven't seen any negative reaction from hogs to it yet.  Ergo I'll keep using it until I break down & buy an IR laser.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Just so you guys know, if you hit a herd of pigs with a 200mW green laser from a UAV a coupla hundred feet in the air.... they usually run.

If you were harboring any hopes of them pouncing on it like cats and coaxing hem into a line of waiting gunman, it just doesn't work that way.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now if you can just place a remote blaster on that UAV....

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so you guys know, if you hit a herd of pigs with a 200mW green laser from a UAV a coupla hundred feet in the air.... they usually run.

If you were harboring any hopes of them pouncing on it like cats and coaxing hem into a line of waiting gunman, it just doesn't work that way.  

Vic

I'm working on it Vic
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm working on it Vic
<a href="http://s716.photobucket.com/user/atacorion/media/image_zpseb39c715.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/atacorion/image_zpseb39c715.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

I'm working on it Vic
<a href="http://s716.photobucket.com/user/atacorion/media/image_zpseb39c715.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/atacorion/image_zpseb39c715.jpg</a>

Please bring home on next visit for AIRadication testing.  I knew I bought that name for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top