Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2014 2:33:08 PM EDT
Lately I've really wanted to get back into hunting. I bought a bow and plan on doing some hog hunting at some point in the near future. The last time I hunted was 30 years ago while in high school. At that time I killed 2 deer and gutted them there in the field. It's been so long that I'm not sure I remember what needs to be done.

Yesterday i watched a video with this guy who was quartering a hog that had been killed. The focus on the video was basically to cape the boar for a mount but then he quartered it for meat. He got the hams and back strap off but that was about it. What about the ribs and the rest of the pig? Is the rest of the carcass just thrown away? It seems like a good bit of waste to me but if there's not much worth taking then I get it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There will be good meat on the shoulders, and of course the tenderloins. Feral pigs usually don't have a lot of rib meat, but it will certainly add to the sausage/grind pile. Depending on how much time you want to take, you might get some off of the neck as well. Skinning a pig isn't as easy as a deer, they will test your patience at times.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
5 things I  recommned having when dealing with a hog Carcass, a scalpel-like knife, I use Havalon knives as hog hide is tougher than alligator hide it seems like, and zip ties to zip tie shut the anus and the throat so nothin taints the meat and latex gloves. You dont wanna be patient zero with Pig AIDS. A set of tree limb cutters cuts and crunches through bone like butter for easy chunks into the cooler and finally a tarp or ponch to put the pig on so no dirt or grass gets onto the meat.

Scalpel like knife
zip ties
latex gloves
tree limb cutters
rain tarp or ponch

hanging a hog is easier than doing it on the ground but sometimes not feasable, just take your time with the carcass. There is good meat to be had all over a hog up to and including the neck and head if you have the time and patience.
if you get tired just have it all made into sausage, which is good if you ask me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I will have to add this again. Not only a Good Sharp Knife but 2 or 3 as the Pig Hide is rough on the edge of a blade.

If you are going for eating Pig look for ones that are say 175 LBS and less. Heck maybe up to about 200 LBS. Above that I usually only back strap them and give the rest to the Buzzards and maybe Hunt some Coyote's. See you have to look at the plus side lol.

As far as meat goes for cooking if the Hog is in the 175 LBS range or Less then I will remove the rear Hams and usually clean one and prep it and throw it straight in the smoker lol. Good Eating at the end of the day. :). And of course save the Back Straps and Tenderloin. And like mentioned Wild Hog have almost O meat on there ribs. So do not waste your time thinking oh boy I am going to cook some ribs lol. But also as mentioned if you plan to hunt Deer and make Sausage then by all means clean as much of the good meat off of the Hog that you can and use it for grinding into the Deer Meat or to take to a processor.

And like pretty much with any Game. Do your best to get the Meat into an Ice Chest With ICE lol. It seems now a days I have to mention ICE lol.

And by the way I would much rather Hunt and Eat Hog than Deer lol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
As stated above- multiple knives with good steel that are sharp.  Only thing I've found that dulls a knife faster than pig is cardboard.  We hang them by a noose around the neck and skin and gut with the guts going into a old cattle lick tub.  Once gutted and skinned, we use a reciprocating saw and start at the pelvis and split the spine going up to the neck.  You'll need someone to hold the legs apart while doing this.  This part is easier than it sounds by a long shot.  Once it's split up the middle, if the hog is more than 200 lbs, we use the saw to cut each side into two pieces a little bit in front of the hams and throw them into the cooler, and then cut the spine behind the skull and throw the front shoulders/ ribs into the cooler.  We usually smoke these pieces whole without deboning.  If the hog is 150 or less, it's usually just the two sides- left and right- that get tossed onto the smoker.  After smoking, we remove the bones and start chopping.  

Sharp knives, tarp for shop floor, gut bucket THAT IS BIG ENOUGH, and a recirprocating saw.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep I forgot about the Gut Bucket. A 5 Gallon Bucket will not do unless it is a small Hog. For a 150-200 LB pound Hog figure about Two 5 gallon buckets. But I use one of those metal Tubs. And again throw the Gut Pile and other parts on the property out of the way of Hunting. Or place them in a place that you can hunt some Coyote at night or in the evening. :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the bucket of the front end loader on one of the tractors for a gut bucket, works great to drop the offal off for the coyotes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
here's a neat way to hang a hog for quartering, BIL works at a machine shop, built this and traded it to me for pig meat
just toss it in the back of the pickup when going on road trips
" />
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the bucket of the front end loader on one of the tractors for a gut bucket, works great to drop the offal off for the coyotes.
View Quote

Or the molasses tubs that cow feed come in they work great just slide under then into the bucket of the tractor and go.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or the molasses tubs that cow feed come in they work great just slide under then into the bucket of the tractor and go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not gutted and completely skinned a pig in at least 3 years

Wrap a chain around thier neck and hang them  
Make a T on the back at the top of the shoulders.
Peal the hide back just enough to get to the back straps
Then slice down the hind leg and skin the hind quarter
VERY CAREFULLY  cut down to the joint and free the hind quarter
...on the inside, there is just thin membrain seperating the mucle from the bladder

Feed coyotes the rest
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I hunt a property where I don't have access to a skinning rack. I can get all 4 quarters, the backstraps and a lil rib meat without gutting them and not lifting them from the spot they dropped. I use a box cutter razor and knife for the majority of it.
</a>" />

And just like that, no arms and no legs. </a>" />
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...on the inside, there is just thin membrain seperating the mucle from the bladder

Feed coyotes the rest
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feed coyotes the rest

That's pretty much how he handle them. peel the back, remove the straps, roll them on a side and skin the hams and shoulders and cut them out of the ball sockets. Snip off the feet with pruning loppers and into the cooler it goes. sometime we'll leave a whole leg that's been shot through if it's torn up really bad, but usually I'll take them for sausage (after thoroughly checking it for fragments).

Lt. Dan, you ain't got no legs!
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, thanks for all the replies gentlemen...and I use the term LOOSELY!!

How much meat would you generally get from your average hog and roughly how much sausage would you end up with? I'm guessing the pics above are about the average.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome ideas, i need to try this out next time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top