Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2014 8:07:18 PM EDT
Heading out in the morning for my first hog hunt.  I read where several members killed hogs with m193.  I have that, but I also have some handloaded 55gr SP ammo.  

Anyone have opinions which loadout would be better?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
FMJ

hogs are tough

You really should be using Barnes bullets.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
FMJ
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
All I use is 55gr. FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Both
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately no luck.

We were hunting on a horse farm owned by the family of one of my dad's coworkers.  We were told that a nearby farmer's pigs got loose (sounded like a couple seasons ago) and had moved to this farm.  The family had rounded up about 80 of them, and that there was 20 left which they wanted gone.  

We arrived around 9:30, 10am and walked the property.  Saw some signs, but nothing fresh, and no scat.  We left to get lunch, and came back and waited by the pond, where we were told the pigs hung out last weekend.  After still not seeing anything, we decided to walk the property again around 4pm and then head home.  Needless to say, we were kind of disappointed, as we were expecting some easy bacon.  We get to the back corner of their property and finally see one... in the neighbor's field.  After a little more looking around we realize that the neighbor is raising them.  We see where the pigs had been digging under the fence, but it had been repaired fairly recently.  

We conclude that the pigs had come from that farm, and were coming across the fence for fun, but then returning to their comfortable barn and regular food later.  Farmer fixed the fence and no more wandering piggies.  And no pigs for us.  :(

Lessons learned:
1. if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
2. I need a lighter weight upper for my AR.  I was using a S&W m&p15x with the included Troy carbine length rail (heavy)
3. I need a sling.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and I hope that I'll get another chance soon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
That's not a heavy gun by any means, you won't notice the weight once you get a sling, or start hitting the gym
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
use Barnes bullets, get sling.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
says the anonymous man on the internet that did not carry it all day.  OP wants a lighter rig, why do you force your opinions on him?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not a heavy gun by any means, you won't notice the weight once you get a sling, or start hitting the gym
says the anonymous man on the internet that did not carry it all day.  OP wants a lighter rig, why do you force your opinions on him?

Not an opinion, if you go to the gym you'll get stronger, coupled with the addition of a sling its a cake walk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top