Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 5:39:37 PM EDT

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag, 7.5" barrel. I am thinking of taking it to hunt feral hogs at a friend's place.
I have read that since penetration is the key to killing large hogs that hollow point bullets should be avoided. Is that just for lighter weight hollow points?
I have some Balck Hills ammo with a 300gr JHP that I picked up a few years ago from a member here. It is very accurate in my revolver. I cloverleafed 3 rounds dead center at 50 yards, but with this hollow point penetrate enough to cleanly take a hog, or should I find a solid nose bullet to handload?
If this hollow point opens up too quickly, what was it designed for- think skinned game like deer?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I have read that since penetration is the key to killing large hogs
View Quote

I disagree. Shot placement is the key to killing any animal. If you can "cloverleafed 3 rounds dead center at 50 yards". Then take it down with one shot to the head.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Those will work fine.  Shoot whatever you are the most accurate with.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I disagree. Shot placement is the key to killing any animal. If you can "cloverleafed 3 rounds dead center at 50 yards". Then take it down with one shot to the head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read that since penetration is the key to killing large hogs

I shot that group right after I finished adjusting the sights on another target. It was a beutiful group, but I did put it away and not shoot another round because I just knew I would mess it up.
If I did it once I know I can hit with it. The single action trigger on it is very very good, and the sights are good even for my 56 year old eyes. It feels awkward shooting it with a 2 handed grip, but I can't argue with how it did. I'm just used to shooting a 1911 and my Ruger MkIIs.
When I get a chance I plan on trying it at 100 yards.

What I was concerned about was hearing that some of the bigger hogs are pretty tough, and I didn't want to have the hollow point bullet expand too quickly and not penetrate if I have something other than a head shot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If the 300hp you have shoots well in your gun I see no reason to mess about . A super light HP might not work well on some shots at certain angles but a 300 gr is going to be fine . Study up on hog anatomy a bit , the heart hides a bit further forward than many animals.

I am a old school kind of guy so I used a 240 gr cast lead Kieth bullet for the one hog I shot 15 years back (it worked fine!) but even a HP that sheds some chunks will kill fine if it is starting out with 300gr.`
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Barnes 300 grain handloads in my T/C with 10" barrel:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top