micro red dot and aimpoint 3x magnifier
sling
flashlight
knife
camo
Cheap binoculars
bugspray

Things I don't have and not sure if I should get or not:
shooting sticks. I have a Harris bipod, should I just bring that?
laser rangefinder
scent block spray
unscented soap, shampoo, deodorant?

Hunt is in Centerville, TX at a hunting ranch. What else should I bring? Never done this before.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quality pistol
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is a paid hog hunt at a hunting ranch you'll more than likely be sitting in a deer blind waiting for pigs to show up as soon as the dinner bell rings. May get lucky and get a little more sporty by driving around in buggies spotting them in fields.  If it's run as a business it will be pretty structured so don't expect to be sneaking around through the brush.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If you will be driving around locating with thermal, you will probably need shooting sticks for shooting while standing.

I would opt for a thermal cell to combat the bugs--less odor.  It is starting to cool down here at night, so I don't think bugs will be much of a problem for long.

Rubber gloves--always a good idea when handling or cleaning hogs.

I wouldn't worry about the scent blocker.  If you are doing spot/stalk, you will be playing the wind.  If in a stand, they will put you in one downwind of a feeder.

Good luck, have fun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Sticks or monopod vs. a bipod.  Bipods are way more stable, but when I use them hunting I get frustrated because as soon as I get them set up for a height, the animal moves to somewhere that the bipod needs adjustment, where I think a stick is a compremise from the get go but if you practice, you get better.

For pig I would bring a second gun before I brought more gear, just because a 10" barrel is limited, when you may want to reach out poke one.

A rangefinder with a 10inch is worthless. Call the guide, ask what range you will be shooting, and bring the rangefinder, and a longer barrel if you are going to have longer shots.

save the quarters and straps, the rest is pretty much worst.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Tshirts. Your going to be dying from the heat if your from WA.
Night vision is always nice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
An IFAK, with good products, multiple TQ's and the knowledge of how to use it. You never know what's going to happen from a hunting accident to a car crash.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Gringos either need to bring some toilet paper or avoid chorizo and egg tacos for breakfast.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THIS got me laughing first this morning.

To the OP, a good set of NODS or thermal goes a long way for night work. Come visit the ARFCOM's Armory NV section that has a wealth of knowledge.

Vic

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gringos either need to bring some toilet paper or avoid chorizo and egg tacos for breakfast.

THIS got me laughing first this morning.

To the OP, a good set of NODS or thermal goes a long way for night work. Come visit the ARFCOM's Armory NV section that has a wealth of knowledge.

Vic

I have the BTDT shirt and the BTDT hat for this one. Trust me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An IFAK, with good products, multiple TQ's and the knowledge of how to use it. You never know what's going to happen from a hunting accident to a car crash.
View Quote

Sam,

Broadened our eradication efforts and have taken to the air as well. Give me a shout next time you're in town again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top