Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 7:27:02 PM EDT
I am wondering if people will suggest NVG's to hunt with?
I have looked at scopes and now I am looking for goggles.
THanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Pvs 14

Eta: head mounted and use an Eotech/ir laser to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Do people use a monocle and a laser to hunt with or binocular one's.
pardon my bad English.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a PVS14 with initials SD, ID, HD, Which one and what are the big differences?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do people use a monocle and a laser to hunt with or binocular one's.
pardon my bad English.
View Quote

people use both the pvs 14 and the anvis set ups.  You will see more p&s 14s than anything mostly because of cost.  I have both but I prefer the pvs 14 to the anvis because of the weight.  I mostly use a Cree night cap these days and it is a little uncomfortable to hang too much weight off of the front of one of those.

As far as aiming, I think you will find the Eotech/aimpoint + ir laser is the easiest and most common setup also.  We also have a night vision forum here if you want to start talking specs, etc:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/18_.html

There are some very knowledgeable dudes in there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a PVS14 with initials SD, ID, HD, Which one and what are the big differences?
View Quote

Not sure.  Where are you looking?  I'd go with the tnvc ITT or L3 pvs.  Tnvc is a site sponsor and great to deal with.  Here is the itt https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-itt-gen3-pinnacle/
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A PVS-14 is the way to go, though I run a set of sentinels
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been on the NVG forum they are really smart.  I also get overwhelmed on that forum sometimes.  My budget is limited and I know there are always better options.  I am looking for a laser NVG combo that will work for different guns.  I think the Eotech/laser and the MUM or the PSV14 are in the right level.

I could use a little more explanation on which red dot and which laser combo.

I am putting this together to hunt hog and you guys are more fun to talk about.

I have an AR in 223 and I have a .357 lever gun, I am leaning towards the lever gun cause it is fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a sure fire X400V, laser light combo and a PVS-14 and get an Aimpoint
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Which aimpoint
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which aimpoint
View Quote

If $ is a concern, i would go with the aimpoint PRO.  Its a solid sight at a pretty good price and it has nv settings.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If $ is a concern, i would go with the aimpoint PRO.  Its a solid sight at a pretty good price and it has nv settings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which aimpoint

This

But if $$ isn't an issue either a T-1 Micro 2 MOA or a CompM4
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a used ps-14 from apex helmet mounted for walking around, and a Pulsar N750 with a torch pro on the rifle for shooting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
has anyone used the EOtech Battery cover that adds a laser?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]
There are basically three ways folks hunt with I2 Night Vision.

1) With dedicated Night Vision Scope, like an M845.

2) With a head mounted mono, pair or quad unit, using an IR laser and point shooting whatever the laser is pointed at.

3) With a Mono behind a Red Dot.

You need to decide how you are likely to hunt and then go for one of the above. Generally speaking, a PVS-14 can be used for 2 or 3, so that unit is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
nothing wrong with a used set of PVS7 to get you started. Do your research and be a discerning buyer and you will be able to find a nice pair for $1,500.

I will say that Thermal is probably the game changer when it comes to hunting. It let's you see anything that is alive.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Aimpoint t-1 2moa with pvs14 is what I use. Only downfall is no zoom. Hard to see pigs on dark nights that are over a few hundred yards away. I don't use a ir light. Also shooting pigs at over 75 yards or so gets tricky. Pigs at 150 yards or so the dot covers most of the pig. Just line it up centered and listen for thuds after you shoot. Same with pigs on the run. Up close aim at their nose. 50 yards aim a foot or two in front. 100yards and up lead farther. I've had to lead by about 20 feet or so. Listen for thuds. Th he most I fire is two shots with a certain lead. If I dont hear a thud I lead a little more. Once you here that thud from impact of bullr t your lead is good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top