Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 6:03:42 PM EDT
Ok I may go to shoot a hog, think ranch where you can't not kill one. So for fun I'm thinking .458 Win Mag shooting either 500gr soft or fmj. Now I know it will kill it, but I am wondering if I shoot it square in the chest head on or up the turd cutter facing away. Do you think I will get a pass through?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a pic of someone who put a 375 H&H up a hogs nose.  Not a pretty picture.  Could barely make out the features.  A 458WM would probably be just as bad or worse.  Clean chest pass through would be the way to go if you want some meat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
That was my buddy, shot it from 75 yards trying for a forehead shot and it lifted it's head at the last second. Bullet never left the head on that one, 300gr SP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't need to.  Did enough damage as it was.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to see what that does between the eyes or with a 'Texas heart shot'. If you manage any shots with that, pics are a must!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Soft point or fmj?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
the devastation of a 338 lapua round to a hog at 75 yards was enough for me.. HIt the first pig in the shoulder and went straight through hitting the second pig in the neck finally stopping after it went through the 3rd pig's heart and lungs.  There was crap thrown everywhere.. Absolutely nasty but 3 pigs down DRT..
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I popped one in the chest with a .45/70 with hard cast bullets and it came out the back ham. I think it was about 250#'er. Was not very impressive just looked like you shoved a crowbar through the piggy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top