Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 7:49:25 PM EDT
I was at the Academy Sports.   I some Winchester Hog Hammer 308 168gr. HPBT stuff.   Has anyone tried it?   And how do you like it?

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used the hog hammer but i have used the barnes vort-x which utilizes the same projectile. I used it in a 7mm rem mag and i am not that impressed with it. While the penetrating power is great that lack of expansion upon exiting was its downfall. I shot a 204lb boar and it entered through the skull and went right through the spine and split it about 23 inches before lodging itself in the spine just before the hind quarters. It was impressive how deep in penetrated. I've also shot smaller 100lb sows through the lungs while they were standing broadside which produced little to no blood trail. I have actually lost hogs due to the lack of blood trail only to find them later because of buzzards. My only thought is that because it was a magnum round moving at a high rate of speed that it was not able to expand. I switched to soft point (Federal Fusion) and have seen a significant change in blood trails on hogs shot through the vitals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top