Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 9:00:34 AM EDT
I got a scope-cam kill on a hog with my modified Benjamin Marauder .25 a couple of nights ago. I estimate the hog was a solid 300lb. He was shot at 64 yards between the eyes and he dropped like a rock. My air gun is shooting a 45 grain hollowpoint slug at 900fps for 80 foot pounds of energy. I had the gun sited in for 25 yards.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi,

Congratulations  on the successful hunt.   You are a braver man than I hunting hogs with that set-up, but it goes to prove its the man and shot placement  What back-up did you have just in case the hog charged?

Best Wishes:
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I didn't have any backup except a pocket .22 mag revolver (NAA Black Widow), but I use that for a human deterrent (although honestly I did carry it with me to check the hog). I don't really fear hogs. The secret is just not to get near them if they are wounded. If I would have saw signs of life from the hog as I approached, I would have backed off and waited for him to die.

When I'm out there at night or in camp all alone its people with bad intentions that concern me. Sometimes we have trespassers slip on the property to poach and I could never say what a cornered poacher might do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you! I didn't have any backup except a pocket .22 mag revolver (NAA Black Widow), but I use that for a human deterrent (although honestly I did carry it with me to check the hog). I don't really fear hogs. The secret is just not to get near them if they are wounded. If I would have saw signs of life from the hog as I approached, I would have backed off and waited for him to die.

When I'm out there at night or in camp all alone its people with bad intentions that concern me. Sometimes we have trespassers slip on the property to poach and I could never say what a cornered poacher might do.
View Quote

Yeah,

People like hogs can be really aggressive.  I can't complain about your choice of back up since I've carried a Beretta 950 BS, or Keltec P32 before on my property to deal with aggressive dogs.  Thanks again for sharing your results

I do compliment you on the shot, you made a nice use of holdover, and the 25 caliber pellet tracer effect on the IR video was really neat  My airgun hunting is limited to an antique Daisy 22 pneumatic for squirrels, and raccoons at no more than 40 yards.

Best Wishes:-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top