Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 12:31:18 AM EDT
Im new to hog hunting and hunting in general. Im just wondering what different type of gear y'all like to carry with you when you go hunting. Post pics if you got em. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im new to hog hunting and hunting in general. Im just wondering what different type of gear y'al like tol carry with you when you go hunting. Post pics if you got em. Thanks
View Quote

Knife,
AR with suppressor IR laser
Dual PVS 14 in bino config.
That's about it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to add an IFAK or some kinda good first aid kit.   I always carry a tourniquet, etc just in case....
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
para cord, batteries, extra Ir illuminator, coyote calls, thick rubber gloves, electrical tape, lens cloth, ammo, mags,knifes, hand sanitizer, extra strap because sometimes i take mine off and don't throw it in the truck (only carried that shit once).

rarely even open it but when I do I'm very glad I have what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
IFAK, extra TQ, 3x magnifier, extra strobes, extra batteries, lens wipes, white light headlamp and handheld
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Gun
Pvs
Wallet
Pickup keys
Cell phone
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Same as above but add a lot of baby wipes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it is a good idea to have a bore snake/cleaning kit, lens tissues/lens pen, extra batteries, extra mags/ammo and it does not hurt to have an extra pair of socks and a pair of frog togs.

I also like to have a "Kill Bag" which has a couple havalon knives w/ extra blades, plastic bags, latex gloves, drag ropes, camera, head flashlight
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IFAK, extra TQ, 3x magnifier, extra strobes, extra batteries, lens wipes, white light headlamp and handheld
View Quote

What's a TQ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Bag?

Grab a gun and as much ammo as you want to carry.  Spotlight and/or flashlight if night hunting. Bring a knife and an ice chest if you plan on keeping meat.

It's not brain surgery or a survival expedition.  Good lord people over complicate things.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's a TQ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a TQ?

Tourniquet
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bag?

Grab a gun and as much ammo as you want to carry.  Spotlight and/or flashlight if night hunting. Bring a knife and an ice chest if you plan on keeping meat.

It's not brain surgery or a survival expedition.  Good lord people over complicate things.
View Quote

It's a little more complicated when you're hunting with night vision. If nothing else, you need to carry extra batteries. It's nice to have some water too. I carry a 3x magnifier to help with ID. It's nice to have at least one white light too. If I'm carrying that stuff, it may as well go in a pack. If I'm carrying a pack, there's no reason not to carry basic med supplies. The pack doesn't way much and it has me covered for most anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Rifle with all light and laser and 20 round mag
NV

Magnifier

batteries

helmet

Sometimes I will carry an extra 20 round mag or a bottle of water.  less is more when it is hot and you are going to be walking around.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a little more complicated when you're hunting with night vision. If nothing else, you need to carry extra batteries. It's nice to have some water too. I carry a 3x magnifier to help with ID. It's nice to have at least one white light too. If I'm carrying that stuff, it may as well go in a pack. If I'm carrying a pack, there's no reason not to carry basic med supplies. The pack doesn't way much and it has me covered for most anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bag?

Unless I'm going to be gone for days, if I have to carry a backpack full of shit I'm not sure it's worth it...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
thermal imager
IR designator
knife
surgical gloves
para cord
zip ties
electrical tape
lens cloth
extra ammo/mags
extra lithium AA batteries
hand sanitizer
thermacell
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unless I'm going to be gone for days, if I have to carry a backpack full of shit I'm not sure it's worth it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bag?

Some people like to be prepared, while others like to wing it. It's not like I'm carrying 50lbs of gear. The whole pack weighs 15lbs at most. So far, I've used pretty much everything I carry with the exception of the medical stuff. Hopefully, I never have to use it. Like I said though, hunting with night vision is different from hunting without. You don't need much if you're walking to a stand that you're going to sit in with a spotlight. Covering ground at night looking for them is more involved.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some people like to be prepared, while others like to wing it. It's not like I'm carrying 50lbs of gear. The whole pack weighs 15lbs at most. So far, I've used pretty much everything I carry with the exception of the medical stuff. Hopefully, I never have to use it. Like I said though, hunting with night vision is different from hunting without. You don't need much if you're walking to a stand that you're going to sit in with a spotlight. Covering ground at night looking for them is more involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bag?

It also depends where you hunt.  I don't carry much because if I need something I can just walk back to the house.  Its only 1,800 acres and the house is pretty much in the middle so its a 30 min walk  from anywhere on the place.

If i was somewhere where i would have to walk an hr back to the house, i would carry more stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bag?

I do plenty of walking around looking for stuff to kill, I just don't wear a pack while doing it. As for being prepared, there isn't anything I prepare for that requires more than I can carry in my pockets or walk back to the truck to get.  I'm not knocking your choice of gear, I just have no need for it.  Hydration? I'm seldom far from a river, stock tank, windmill, or cow trough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rifle with all light and laser and 20 round magNV
Magnifier
batteries
helmet

Sometimes I will carry an extra 20 round mag or a bottle of water.  less is more when it is hot and you are going to be walking around.  
View Quote

You carry a helmet? What sort of Helmet?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifle with all light and laser and 20 round magNV
Magnifier
batteries
helmet

It's probably something like an Pro Tec, Ops Core, Team Wendy, etc for the night vision.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I do plenty of walking around looking for stuff to kill, I just don't wear a pack while doing it. As for being prepared, there isn't anything I prepare for that requires more than I can carry in my pockets or walk back to the truck to get.  I'm not knocking your choice of gear, I just have no need for it.  Hydration? I'm seldom far from a river, stock tank, windmill, or cow trough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bag?

Inducing the shits voluntarily is over complicating things IMO.  

Keep that stuff up and you may be wearing a helmet (Minus NV) and toting crayons instead of a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Lol/\ that's awesome
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Keep that stuff up and you may be wearing a helmet (Minus NV) and toting crayons instead of a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been drinking that way since before I was in elementary school.  Number of times it's made me sick?  zero.  The majority of the water I drank until I was grown was unprocessed.    I own all kinds of water preparation gear, and have used it, but I have had no reason whatsoever to scared of water in South Texas (with the exception of obviously polluted waters).  If that water was going to hurt me, it'd have done so long before now.

When I moved to Austin, the first thing I noticed was that the water was pink (it's not anymore, so they've got that going for them).  I'm supposed to feel safer about that?

I did fail to mention one thing I carry in my hog hunting bag (my pockets) that I didn't in the past...

My tactical oven mitt in case I need to handle the can when it's hot.  Never had stuff like that as a kid....

So we're up to:  

-lighter/matches
-handful of ammo
-pocket knife (sometimes a multi-tool)
-wallet (hunting license)
-phone
-oven mitt
- (optional) peanut butter crackers or a cliff bar for a snack
- toilet paper (if I'm going to be far from the truck)

many hundreds of deer, hogs, and assorted game later, still alive and kicking....

As for the gear in my truck, you could outfit a squad of folks from the shit I keep laying around in there, but that's another story.

the NV thing sounds cool though
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys seriously disappoint ....

Camelbak with ice cold beer is a must!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top