Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 7:46:33 AM EDT
Any suggestions on what to do?   Normally I sit over bait and wait in the dark, was planning on stalking thru the cedar brush.  

Any specific tactics for thermal hunting?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on how much area you have to cover, the terrain, and activity.  Is this a thermal scope monocular?  Do you have a way to see without looking the through the scope (if it is a scope)?   To stalk you need a way to see while your moving.  So if you have a devise to see while stalking and a large area to cover I would move around.   If you just have the one thermal device attached to the weapon I would sit and cover a baited area or know hog trail.  Good luck hope you see a ton!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!   Its 400 acres, foot. Mixed terrain, from heavily brushed cedar to flat grassland, some water holes to deep creek.

I have a cheapo 1st gen night vision monocular I use as well, and it is a full moon tonight!  
Was goin to bring some bait in, but also gonna hit the water spots since it is hot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Full moon comes up at 12:30 tonight I would sit and watch the water until then.  After the moon comes up scout around!   Good luck post pics!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
That is going to be fun.  Even if you don't see anything.  But Here is some good ju ju coming at you.   OOOOOOOHHHHHHMMMMMM     OOOOOOHHHHHHMMMMMM.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't shoot until you are REALLY sure it is a pig.

A deer standing in tall grass with his head down will fool you.  Be patient and make sure you are sure before throwing lead.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
No lead thrown.  
Heard em, couldnt find em.   Saw a rabbit , LOTS of deer (that are never around during deer season), and birds

Put out some pig pipes today, goin again Sunday.  High hopes!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, went out again tonight, still nothing!!!! Nothing in the area either!  I swear Im cursed!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Around here they are just not moving until the early AM hours.  Too hot and dry.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Use a game camera on the areas that you bait then you'll know what time the swine are coming in so you can be ready and waiting for them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not know about your area but here the grass is super high right now.  I'm only able to see the largest hogs in the uncut fields even with thermal.  Also on a full moon they will stay to cover more if there is hunting pressure.  With the rain and cooler weather forecast this next weekend should be prime time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top