Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2014 2:10:23 AM EDT
Just curious to see if it would make a decent hog gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Shot one at 50 yds with soft points.   Fell right over.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of people hunt hogs with the AK47 and AK74

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
5.45 did well a few threads down

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_9/670331_big_boar_down_using_5_45.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
yes i used an ak47 for years.  I stopped because there is no good way to suppress it or mount lasers and optics.  Other than that it is great.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes i used an ak47 for years.  I stopped because there is no good way to suppress it or mount lasers and optics.  Other than that it is great.
View Quote

Any ammo type you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just curious to see if it would make a decent hog gun.
View Quote
The ballistics mimic a 30-30. It's a great hog caliber

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always tried to get the 154g soft point.  But it really doesn't matter.  It all works
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could find a decent AR platform that shot it.  As stated before it is a pain to mount all your goodies to an AK.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish I could find a decent AR platform that shot it.  As stated before it is a pain to mount all your goodies to an AK.

View Quote

Due to ammo cost increases and the fact that SSA sold out to Nosler and don't load their TSX in 68, we have been forced to downgrade to 5.56 and 7.62x39.  We have 3 rifles built with YHM parts that have been very reliable and accurate and the Russian steel cased soft points are pretty effective on hogs.  When shooting several hundred pigs per day, when working, and shooting an average of 2 rounds per pig, we go through some ammo to say the least.  I've tried out just about every caliber option available in the AR15 platform and definitely side with the 6.8 SPC with 95 grain Barnes TTSX when it comes to slaying hogs and I can most certainly see the difference in the reaction from a solid impact, and also the effectiveness of poorly placed shots between the different calibers.  X39 works really well on pigs, so fire away with the AK.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]

I need cheap ammo that I don't have to reload. 300BLK is a great round but ammo supply is a pain in the wallet.

7.62x39 is just a bit more power and probably half the cost to shoot, but finding a good platform is a pain.  

Hopefully this thing lives up to the hype.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/rock-river-arms-lar-47-review/

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since I don't have any goodies other than a light and aim point it should work. If not I will run my .556 SBR and can. I don't want to invest in a 300 blk or 6.8 right now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Due to ammo cost increases and the fact that SSA sold out to Nosler and don't load their TSX in 68, we have been forced to downgrade to 5.56 and 7.62x39.  We have 3 rifles built with YHM parts that have been very reliable and accurate and the Russian steel cased soft points are pretty effective on hogs.  When shooting several hundred pigs per day, when working, and shooting an average of 2 rounds per pig, we go through some ammo to say the least.  I've tried out just about every caliber option available in the AR15 platform and definitely side with the 6.8 SPC with 95 grain Barnes TTSX when it comes to slaying hogs and I can most certainly see the difference in the reaction from a solid impact, and also the effectiveness of poorly placed shots between the different calibers.  X39 works really well on pigs, so fire away with the AK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say that this gent's experience are the proof in the pudding!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I need cheap ammo that I don't have to reload. 300BLK is a great round but ammo supply is a pain in the wallet.

7.62x39 is just a bit more power and probably half the cost to shoot, but finding a good platform is a pain.  

View Quote

Same debate my budy and I had the other day. I own a 300BLK but at $1.50 a shot she's a safe queen!  With x39 softpoint ammo at 25 cents a shot, its a no brainer!

Why do you say finding a good platform is pain? Build away!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same debate my budy and I had the other day. I own a 300BLK but at $1.50 a shot she's a safe queen!  With x39 softpoint ammo at 25 cents a shot, its a no brainer!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont mean to bring this thread up again..I currently have a 300 blk and love the gun...but 300 blk ammo is really hard to find locally and really only available by online sales. I dont have time to reload like I use to ( kids, job and also working on my degree ) so the X39 option looks pretty good. May sell the 300 blk AR I currently own and go with a sig 556R. This would also be my night hunting gun with a pulsar n750 on the top. Any one have any experience with the sig 556R ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a heads up the 556r is a heavy gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top