Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2014 8:02:25 PM EDT
Ok so I am thinking out taking the rest of the year to build a budget 300 BLK out AR, but I can't seem to decide between at pistol build or a rifle built. It will mostly be used for hogs and hiking on the hunting lease, close range, and thick brush so either would work just as well as the other. My plan is to pick up a lower soon to build off of and then get the other parts as they come available on sale for a real budget build. I already have an AR in 5.56 and plenty of other rifles so there is no hurry for me not wait for the best prices.

What would be the advantages of a pistol AR with a 10" barrel over a Rifle with a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Well weight. . And size would be less with a 10"....
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Will you be running it suppressed? How "close range" will you be hunting? Well under 50 yards?
It sounds to me like you might be considering "Wild Hog chases", and in my opinion, a 300 BLK pistol might be perfect for that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
300 BLK does not have the penetration needed to consistently take down Big Hogs. An SBR in same is a limp noodle.

A 30 cal bullet weighing 110 gr traveling at less than 2200 FPS is not a good choice for Hogs. You limit yourself to range due to penetration issues.

The OLE 5.56x45 with right bullet does just fine.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

300 BLK does not have the penetration needed to consistently take down Big Hogs. An SBR in same is a limp noodle.

A 30 cal bullet weighing 110 gr traveling at less than 2200 FPS is not a good choice for Hogs. You limit yourself to range due to penetration issues.

View Quote
TSX bullets?  

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both.  A 16" and a now-SBR with a  9.5 Core15 upper that started on a pistol lower until I got the stamp back.  Was my first AR pistol experience and was surprised at how well I shot it and liked it with two of these at the end of the buffer tube with one of these covers.

I rarely shoot the 16" any more.  With or without a suppressor, I'd go with the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really, would you care to elaborate? I think you are showing your distaste for the Blackout, but don't tell tall tales. I guess all the hogs I take with my 16" Blackout and my 9.5 SBR Blackout are just faking being dead. I hit them right behind the ear and they drop, even out to 150 yards.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

147 gr 9mm at 1000 fps takes them quite often in east Texas...

TXL
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are talking about shooting subsonic then there is no big advantage to a 16 inch barrel. If you are talking about shooting 110 grain bullets supersonic then look at the blackout charts. The 16 inch looses about 40 fps per inch you cut off. As you get closer to 10" barrel  the fps per inch loss goes down to 30. I killed about two dozen hogs in the last few weeks. I usually shoot a 16 inch 308. I used a 18 inch 223 when i ran out of .308 ammo one night. 18 shots and four dead hogs. Only once have i shot a hog more than one time with my .308 , but it was hogzilla. I know one member here who uses an airgun on hogs. I will use my .308 when given a choice. The 10 " blackout will definately kill a hog. Its a fact that more energy will be more forgiving if you make a bad shot . They dont stand still when thier brothers and sisters start dying from lead poison. I have used my 17 hmr just for shits and giggles. I will not be doing that again. I shot one too low that was looking straight at me. Hit the nasal cavity and it definately was not a humane kill.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want a blackout I would go for the shorter barrel.  They are handier, lighter and work great at regular hunting distances.

If you hurry you might be able to pick up one of the $99 Bergara 10.2" blackout barrel available at Sportsmans guide.  

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bergara-300-aac-10-1-2-4140-ar-15-barrel?a=1711947

Coupon code COUPON0614 will save $10.        

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Really, would you care to elaborate? I think you are showing your distaste for the Blackout, but don't tell tall tales. I guess all the hogs I take with my 16" Blackout and my 9.5 SBR Blackout are just faking being dead. I hit them right behind the ear and they drop, even out to 150 yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the 300 BLK just fine. It is not consistent however when making running shots on Hogs. Sure, a 9mm to the head will kill most anything. But penetration is needed on larger Hogs and the 300 BLK does not have it where it counts to consistently take down large Hogs. This is with most ammo on the market. We have tried them all.

5.56mm is where it is at for many reasons.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both a 16" and an 8.5" SBR.  Shooting supers I have no problem taking out deer, hogs, or anything else that I hunt.  I shoot Barnes tx and hornady amax.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I have never had a issue dropping anything at a reasonable range
with mine.. did have to shoot one hog twice a 150 yards when running
220gr subs... I blame that on me and the shot
Placement
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't have a BO but I just finished a pistol build in 458.  It is a lot of fun to shoot. and for me it is plenty accurate and really easy to pack.  Go for the pistol build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top