Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 6:17:05 PM EDT
Looking for some recipes on cooking a wild boar roast. How do you cook it/Whats your recipe?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I figure regular recipes for pork should work with wild pig, as long as it was cleaned and prepped well there shouldn't be much difference.  I like to use injectable marinades with big cuts of pork, coat them heavily with a good rub and into the smoker.  I have yet to get any wild pork to try this on so I can't say it would work but it's what I use for domestic pork and it is awesome!

I'm going to watch this for ideas from those who actually have and cook the wild stuff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I figure regular recipes for pork should work with wild pig, as long as it was cleaned and prepped well there shouldn't be much difference. I like to use injectable marinades with big cuts of pork, coat them heavily with a good rub and into the smoker
View Quote

This, I'd add that wild pork will be a little drier so don't spare the injection juice.  Lee
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If you smoke it, you might try throwing a bacon weave on it. It helps with the moisture, and besides, who doesn't like bacon. I usually do mine in a crock pot with some water and W sauce, maybe a little bacon grease, so I don't have to worry about moisture. Add root vegetables, maybe celery and mushrooms. I use the same seasonings I would for domestic. Low and slow overnight cooking and I don't need my alarm clock the next morning.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much what everyone else has said. The meat is leaner thus drier so be aware of that fact. I once cooked a nice ham in my slow cooker with dr.pepper, bbq sauce, onions, garlic, etc and dumped the damn sauce down the drain without thinking about it. Driest damn meat I've ever had.

My usual process is
Inject
coat with a rub
throw on smoker for a few hours
remove and put in slow cooker or oven if ham is too big
add soda, onion, garlic, a little bbq sauce.
cook until meat falls of bone
Shred meat and return to cooker in it's own sauce
eat
take nap
repeat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top