Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2014 6:12:02 AM EDT
Anyone hunt hogs with 5.56?
Those who do/did: have you ever felt 5.56 is in any way deficient? (Ever see a hog not go down when you shoot him?)

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics of your pig Guns go
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen hogs hit with a .308 and not go down immediately.

It's all about shot placement with these buggers.

pic of hog gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I found teh bullet design matters most.  Shot a couple with m193 and had the same problem the military has, through-and-through without expansion.  Went to some actual hunting bullets and the problem has not been a problem anymore.  Barnes triple-shock, partitions, even basic soft points in the heavier projos all have worked flawlessly for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have hunted hogs for years using anything from my 1903, M1a, M82, AR15 (.223 and 5.45) and in the end I agree with everyone else it depends on shot placement.  I have shot a hog with a 308 168gr through the heart and it still ran 150 yards before collapsing.  I have shot 150# hog with a 5.45x39 russian mil-surp through the neck and the thing just collapsed where it stood.  Also shot one with a 50 BMG lead core FMJ center mass and it completely decimated the hog of course it did not stand a chance it broke its back in 2 places and broke the hogs from leg up over the top of its back on exit..  .223 I usually try for head shot or neck shot to be honest.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I found teh bullet design matters most.  Shot a couple with m193 and had the same problem the military has, through-and-through without expansion.  Went to some actual hunting bullets and the problem has not been a problem anymore.  Barnes triple-shock, partitions, even basic soft points in the heavier projos all have worked flawlessly for me.
View Quote
Ball ammo should be limited to 100 yards or less or head shots IMO.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never used anything but 5.56mm for hogs, and have never failed to make one shot kills. I keep my shots under 100 yards, and always head shots.
They are not particularly difficult to kill, shot placement is the key.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have never used anything but 5.56mm for hogs, and have never failed to make one shot kills. I keep my shots under 100 yards, and always head shots.
They are not particularly difficult to kill, shot placement is the key.
View Quote

Exactly. Although I've gone farther than 100 with good kills. 69 grain Sierra Matchking BTHP for maximum lethality.

My field carbine / hunting rig. Might get a KAC rail, but I really just like the plain HG's. Blue Force NSN sling on order.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Totally agree that shot placement is the Key.

The only time I feel .223 is not enough is for 450lbs and up.  There's not too many of them left in my woods.
I have used a .308 at times. Again shot placement yields the pork.  I had 35 pigs rooting up a pasture, eating june bugs feasting on fresh oak leaves, and shot 8  using M-14 iron sights  justing aiming center mass. I hit all 8 but only recovered one.

I shot 5 with .223 62gr Wolf  using an aimpoint and recovered 4 after shooting them in the head or heart area.

It's all about where you hit them.    And never shoot just one !The fun begins when they start to scatter and you have to adapt.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Those who do/did: have you ever felt 5.56 is in any way deficient? (Ever see a hog not go down when you shoot him?)

View Quote

Yup I've had several keep on truckin despite solid shots to the vitals with heavy bullets. Either 75gr TAP or Mk262.

I've also hit pigs with .308's, .243's, and .270's in the vitals and they didn't go right down. All these shots were over 150yds.

That doesn't mean much to me though. I exploded a big buck's heart with a 180gr out of a 300WSM and he bolted for probably 100yds before I put another one in him that did the trick. The first shot had shredded his heart though. It's amazing what adrenaline can do.

Unless you get a shot into the central nervous system, the potential is always there for the animal to take off. That's why it pays to learn to track.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
There is a guy on here who take hogs with his 12.5" AR all the time with just ball ammo out to 300 yards.

Shot placement is key.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Who gives a shit?  They'll die eventually.

I've shot hundreds of hogs with 5.56.  Never in my life skinned one, don't plan on ever skinning one either.  I kill 'em for the fun of killing and they tear shit up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#12]
A quick search will give you many many threads on this topic.  Shoot them in the neck or head and they will be DRT.  Shoot them in the chest and you probably won't find them.  5.56 is more than sufficent if you take well aimed shots.  5.56 is all I use.

Also, pigs aren't like deer anatomically.  If you shoot one in the shoulder like you shoot a deer, you just gut shot it.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a great brush round, but it kls pigs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had pigs take half a dozen 5.56 and not go down, I've also had pigs take half a dozen .308 or half a dozen 300Blk and not go down.  Well, actually they went down, just not immediately. They certainly died, but they got really far before they did.

5.56 is good enough, but once they start running head shots are not so easy.  Just try and hit them as far forward as you can, that's where all the important stuff is.

The extra damage you get from a .308 or whatever just isn't that big of a deal.

If they are running directly away try and shoot high and break their hips/spine.  It's just about the only way to make them stop and they generally will turn at this point to bite at the perceived threat from behind.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
All of my hunting/trapping is pure population control.

If you are trophy hunting or think the opportunity will be limited, more gun is more likely to DRT a hog than .556.

I got 3 over the weekend. All good hits, but only 1 folded up like a lawn chair.

Premium hunting rounds are more effective than 855/193, etc., but I'm not investing much in ammo to off a hog.

I also opt for the AR to bust up groups. Follow ups are much faster for me than a .30 cal rifle.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got back from TX trip.  Me and a buddy killed 57 hogs in 3 days. I am saying this with experience to back it up: 5.56 is totally fine. Anything more is a waste of money.  I killed a few with my 300 BLK and saw almost no difference in 1 shot stopping power.

As others have said, shot placement is key - headshot or vitals - and if you miss those it doesn't matter what caliber you are shooting.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who gives a shit?  They'll die eventually.

I've shot hundreds of hogs with 5.56.  Never in my life skinned one, don't plan on ever skinning one either.  I kill 'em for the fun of killing and they tear shit up.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a guy on here who take hogs with his 12.5" AR all the time with just ball ammo out to 300 yards.  

Shot placement is key.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shot placement is key.

He had a big thread here but messed with his photobucket account and it deleted the pics. A lot of people didn't even bother to read it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a 10.5" AR pistol.
.55 gr. FMJ.
Aim for the neck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]
No issues here, yes it was a lung shot, but at an angle, you can see the entrance in the second image.
~60yds at night :)
77gr sierra

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#22]
As already said, all about shot placement.  When I'm dispatching hogs in a trap I always use a .22lr.  When I'm out and about and just trying to kill the SOBs I'll gut shoot them so I don't have to deal with dragging them off to feed the buzzards.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use a 10.5" AR pistol.
.55 gr. FMJ.
Aim for the neck.
View Quote

I'll add I will never ever use a hollow point on a hog I'm trying to harvest.  Couple years ago I shot a hog in the neck with my .22-250 with a hollowpoint.  I saw the impact to the hogs neck, and observed it immediately go down as it kicked itself into three full circles before the hog got up and ran in a full sprint in the opposite direction of me never to be seen again.  Walked to POI and while you could see where it had kicked into circles but never found any blood....
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot placement is key with 5.56 but it works just fine, even with FMJ. Due to budget constraints, we've downgraded to 5.56 FMJ from 6.8 TTSX, and although we see the difference in the two, we found 5.56 to be suffice and our eradication efforts haven't suffered. Again, shot placement is key for DRT kills but as evidence in this video where good shot placement is challenging, 5.56 FMJ will do the job.

5.56 in action

ETA:  We often return to areas where we had a high number of kills to take a closer look at our work. Although we're shooting several rounds at each hog  the majority of the time, upon examination of the dead hogs, they're often times hit with a single round and not in an ideal spot.   I honestly don't take great pleasure in this line of work and you will notice that I will take a few follow up shots even after they go down as I believe any animal with four legs should be killed as quickly as possible, even when it comes to depredating feral hogs. There are nights where I can't sleep and wonder if what I'm doing is right. I've seen what they've done to our State and the native plants and animals and the hurting they've inflicted on farmers and ranchers, and believe this to be the most effective means of control.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/12982320313_b1c4e1424b_c.jpg
pic of hog gun.
View Quote

Oh, and BCV, that's a beautiful table
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/12982320313_b1c4e1424b_c.jpg
pic of hog gun.
View Quote

Love your accessories in the BG.  Is that a Coach Bag??
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No issues here, yes it was a lung shot, but at an angle, you can see the entrance in the second image.
77gr sierra

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/WP_20140119_006_zps110ffdbb.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/WP_20140119_005_zpsef75366a.jpg
View Quote

I dont think a 10 lb hog is much proof of bullet terminal performance
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
77gr sierra

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/WP_20140119_006_zps110ffdbb.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/WP_20140119_005_zpsef75366a.jpg

He was about 60, thanks.

How about a 250lb sow that was dead before she rolled over.
75gr PPU, ~50yds, half moon

They do do some work on hogs. Hydro-static shock baby
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#30]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bz1vbHmm-w[/youtube]

5.56 mm in video

I am a big fan.

5.56mm on Dogs.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0shr0BTGU[/youtube]

Even at distance, the 5.56mm will perform well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top