Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2014 8:33:46 PM EDT
Think I will try to keep all the videos taken with the new scope here in this thread.   Since I'm using a cheap dvr right now there is no sound so I narrated you can hear the frustration these gold dot bullets gave me just watching the video.   Also the video quality is not what it should be.  Hopefully these things will improve as I go along.  Unfortunately the thin chinese made cable on the dvr broke and I only got one of the five hogs on video.  I've ordered several extra cables.   I wrote a long story for this hunt its mostly about how the 90gr gold dot bullets did not perform up to my high expectations, if you want to read it the story is here.   But here is episode one of W1000 Kill shots.

W1000 Kill Shots episode 1 - YouTube
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
DAMNIT!!! You're killing all the coyotes that eat the hogs!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Saw the post on the 68 forums.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LMAO!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

LMAO!

Awesome video. Wonderful toys.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And be careful to not include in them promotion of companies which have been banned due to bad behavior here.  This has been an ongoing problem with NV equipment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome vid.

And yes, please keep all videos you post in this forum in this one thread.

Thanks.

And be careful to not include in them promotion of companies which have been banned due to bad behavior here.  This has been an ongoing problem with NV equipment.

Understood
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you.  

I enjoyed your videos--you guys really get the job done!!  
View Quote

Thank you sir hopefully the next one they will be dropping a little faster :)
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do they make Nosler Partitions in that caliber?
View Quote

Well 6.8 uses the .277 caliber bullet so you can use .270 bullets.  Think some have tried to use the 130gr nosler partion but ran into problems with the bullet being to long.  Also the 130 np was expansion rate was developed for the much higher velocity of the 270.

I have had the best luck with the Hornady 120gr sst it was developed for the 6.8 also the barnes 95gr ttsx was developed for the 6.8 it will expand all the way down to 1600fps.  These 90 gr gold dots are leaving quarter size exits so they are expanding, but maybe too late?  I'm not sure why they are performing badly.  Every gold dot that has been recovered looks good.  Here is one we pulled out of a hog.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/TEXASLAWMAN54/20131124_194127_zpse9bcd9df.jpg
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Get some Barnes TSX, I reload 556mm 70 and 62 grain TSX @ 2,700fps and they are murder on the hogs.

70 grain TSX recovered from the far shoulder of 175 yard hog single shot dead:

Bullet recovered weighed 69.9 grains.....

One shot 175 yards through the lungs:

Exit wound from head shot one 70 gr TSX 175 yards:

One lung shot 200 yards, 450 pound boar with 70 grain TSX:

I am using 130 grain TSX handloads in the 7.62mm X 51mm NATO @ 3,000fps and they are excellent too.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting--I figured the SSTs would simply "explode" (fragment) and not exit.  I figured lack of penetration was the problem.  Of course, when shooting vermin I don't consider a slow death to be "bad."  I'd prefer a clean/quick kill, but I don't view it as mandatory, as with deer, game birds, etc.  
View Quote

The sst has the interlock ring to keep the base of the bullet together. So it has the rapid expanding front like a vmax but then the interlock in the back to punch through.  Most of the 120sst's have had complete penetration even on larger hogs!

I copied this description from the hornady website. "The InterLock is designed to be a devastating hunting bullet and nothing less. The InterLock Ring - a Hornady exclusive - ensures that the core and jacket remain locked during expansion. The InterLock retains more mass, energy and momentum after impact and transfers that energy to the target."
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
SkyPup I have used the 95ttsx in the 6.8 its a great bullet but I have found for my purposes the 120sst performs better.   When shooting at a large sounder of hogs running great shot placement is not always possible the sst knocks the hogs down it seems no matter where you hit them.  I was having problems with the 95ttsx zipping through and not anchoring the hogs if it was a gut shot.   For a hunter that is on a once in a life time hunt I would say use the barnes, for eradicating pigs the 120sst has shown great terminal performance at a bargain price.

My first kill with the barnes was pretty impressive though.  It was night hunting with my pvs-14 spotted a boar eating out of a cattle trough.  While I was stalking him the wind changed so I had to take the shot. Bang he runs flops around and I had to shot him again.  I was not impressed.  The next day I went back to take pictures and try to recover the bullet this is what I found.

The bullet went through this rebar before hitting the hog.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/TEXASLAWMAN54/e72b82df.jpg

I had aimed center neck the rebar did deflect the bullet enough that it hit his rear.  One in a million chance but still impressive.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/TEXASLAWMAN54/IMG_0380.jpg

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Ill start another thread to keep this one on topic!
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]
This is just a short clip from this weekend.  It is a coyote sitting in tall grass about 80-100 yards from me I pulled the shot and took a tuff of fur off but he got away.  Even though its a miss on the coyote as Im recording a owl dive bombs some birds right next to him,  You can also see the treeline and road behind him the road is 1.35 miles or 2369.64 yards away and I could see cars passing easily.   I thought this would be a good show of the scope even without kill shots lol..   Like a dummy I did not record the hogs being shot because I thought we would have more opportunities than just three hogs.  And before anyone gets their panties In a wad about me aiming the scope at people it was not weapons mounted at that time.

Video link.......................................................
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
very nice episode four!
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I did not have time to type in the info earlier so here it is.

Weather conditions for the first two hogs was clear with temperature in the 50's.

The third hog it was overcast with a light fog temperature was in the low 50's.

The fourth hog the one pumping the blood it was a light mist with a few rain drops mixed in again temperature in the low 50's

Just for info purposes I use Sony Vegas to create these videos but only to clip out the non action parts or to slow the video down no video enhancement is done I want you to see what the scope actually does.   The reasoning behind clipping the video to just kill shots  is I start the recorder when I'm making my stalk with the pvs-14 so all the w1000 is recoding during that time is the ground and my feet.  I really don't think people would enjoy 5-15 minutes of ground and feet footage.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#20]
In this video it was raining pretty good so there is a little more noise in the image. Usually do pretty good on rainy night's but on this particular night I only got two and caught a cold but it was still great fun!

Video Link
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
awesome job
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Found a sounder of 5 young sows and some piglets out in a pasture a week ago.   They must be new to the area because I did everything wrong the wind was strong to my back and blowing directly at them, and I clanked the suppressor on a metal gate (sounded like a gong) yet they just stayed there feeding paying me no mind.  Took my shots from 70-100ish yards because I just knew they were going to bust me and run at any second.

Tried for a ear hole shot on the first sow. She either moved or I pulled the shot because it hit her in the snout.  A quick follow up shot and she tumbled, the next shot rolled another one, and just as they crested a little rise I clipped one in the rear ham.  When I got to the next field the third hog was down but trying to get up one more 120gr sst and she was done.  That's why I love the SST's on hogs most of the time if you hit them they go down even with bad shot placement.

Here is the video again this is using the MDVR from Ultimate Night Vision I really love this recorder with its instant on record switch.

VIDEO LINK HERE...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
awesome job
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
The inlaws were having a rodent problem squirrels getting into the attic so I switched the W1000 over to my suppressed .22lr and used subsonic ammo to thin them out a bit.  This was daytime warm and humid but the scope still did well.  While not hogs I thought you guys may enjoy it I sure had a good time making the video!

Squirrel Hunting with Thermal
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#28]
SWEET
The big groups of hogs are gone at my place now, few singles here & there.
BUT iffin you are into the little vermin we are ATE UP with squirrels & coons.
Damn coons & squirrels already chewed hole in my new pig pipes
Holler when you're on the way
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Well I thought I had tons of great video from last weekend but I broke the plug to my mdvr and it was only recording sound .   Spotted over 100 hogs on Saturday night, a storm was blowing in and they were really moving.   Out of all those hogs moving only one sounder of five showed up where I can shoot.  The wind was perfect so I was able to stalk to 60 yards of the lead sow no problem.  She was closest to the woods and cover also so when I shot her the rest turned and ran back out to the open field!   Got the whole sounder none were very big but it sure was fun!

Also killed 8 coyotes that night.  The best were two coyotes stalking up to a rabbit about 100 yards from me!  They were right on the rabbit when I took the first shot and the male coyote went down! Now the rabbit didn't even move but the female coyote ran about 25 yards and stopped. She sat there for about a minute and started slowly making her way back to the male. When she was a few feet out from him she stopped and that's when I took her she went down DRT also. There was a nice breeze and the area was wide open no trees for miles so the suppressed rifle sounded great and no one has hunted this ranch with night vision so it was easy pickins!

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Great shooting once again.  Between you and Skypup you are making me want to shoot a few too.  Just need a ticket south and a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Got 18 this weekend this was the first group.

Friday the 13th the super moon was out it was still hot 83 degrees and 77% humidity. We have had 16 inches of rain in the last two months, the yearly average is 17 inches! Three inches alone Thursday night! There was standing water everywhere so I was pretty much confined to the main roads with the truck. The drought is over and the hogs are back! Spotted a black spot with the pvs off by one of the ponds. Per google earth it was 419 yards. Watched it for several minutes but it never moved which is not typical for a hog. Used the mtm and it was warm but not like what a hog normally looks like through thermal, high humidity is hard on thermals so I tried the w1000 it was definitely something alive.

So I sloshed the 400 yards to the pond (should have worn my knee high boots). Sure enough it was a hog laying in the mud asleep at the ponds edge! As I took aim another hog comes around the dam walks up to the first hog. Decided to take the standing hog for my first. Pop thud #1 is down DRT #2 the sleeping hog jumps up and stumbles right as I fire making my shot hit high, second shot is a rear end shot you see hot chunks fly with the thermal as the 120sst bullet exits. Then a third fourth and fifth hog jump up. They were laying in a low creek that feeds the pond. Hit the third on on the run but he keeps going, number four goes down DRT, Then I find hogs number #2 & #3 and put a finishing bullet in them both. Hog number five escaped for another day.

MAKE SURE YOU WATCH IN 1080 OR 720 RESOLUTION

VIDEO LINK CLICK HERE
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Great Vid once again.  Need to check the date though.  Said July 2014.  Or are we speaking to Marty McFly??
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#34]
LOL already thinking about the next holiday ooops.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#35]
This is the second group from this weekend three boars.  Watch in 720 resolution for the best image.

Video of three boars down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#36]
That video reminds me of the snipers creed.  " You can run but you will only die tired."  Great shooting.  That third hog was an incredible shot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Another sounder wiped out.

Click here for video.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Another great Vid.  How far are you shooting??

Saw in the other post 80-100yds.  40 is as close as you get.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Another great Vid.  How far are you shooting??

Saw in the other post 80-100yds.  40 is as close as you get.
View Quote

These were about 60 yards at first when I came up over the hill they were right on me.  The one I shot in the face was close maybe 20-30 yards.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#41]
That is just too cool.  I need a pig fix so bad.  Will have to wait a bit unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Front porch hogs.

Video link click here
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Man you are having all the fun.  Great shooting once again.  Love seeing all those hot spots going COLD.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Texaslawman1, where in Texas are you? I have been watching your videos and I'm surprised at how many you are seeing. We have a lot of hogs where I am at, I really thought as many as anywhere in the state, but I don't think we have quite as many as you do. I have only killed 16 the last two weeks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#45]
These were on my family's place in limestone county.  But I am fortunate enough to hunt all over the state.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Ok. I'm next door in Leon county.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Here is the video...............

VIDEO LINK
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Made this short video to show the detection range of the w1000-9   the cows in the back corner are 2362 yards forgot to add that to the video.

VIDEO LINK CLICK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
In this video I had seen this sounder several times but the alpha sow was smart. She used cows for cover every time they left the high grass. Her weakness was crossing the private ranch road in the same spot every time.  DON'T FORGET TO WATCH IN HD.

TO WATCH THE VIDEO CLICK HERE..........................

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#50]
love the mylar
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top