Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Short video of the hog kills, nailed three and recovered two, in a foot deep water in middle of swamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwPiWVGD1c
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Once again great job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Florida Fish and Game regulations on Hog Hunting In Florida:

http://m.myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
100 yard standing ear hole shot, did not move an inch......

Entrance:

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Kissimmee Chain of Lakes WMA public land right south of Orlando and Disney World just now changed their regulations to allow hog hunting 365 days a year from sunup to sundown for anyone interested in bagging some hogs for free, it is the only WMA in Florida with year round hogging:

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/kissimmee/
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This policy should be adopted by every state with feral hog populations. If I scanned it accurately, it essentially says that, on private property -- no season, no limit, no restrictions -- just a whole lotta killin'  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
That's right, I was out hunting with the game warden last night and told him my thoughts on the subject, same as yours...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Not only that, he did NOT even twitch either, just dropped dead....
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Free Florida Hog Hunts on public Wildlife Management Areas:

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/hog-hunts/
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Busted a couple more tonight:

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This policy should be adopted by every state with feral hog populations. If I scanned it accurately, it essentially says that, on private property -- no season, no limit, no restrictions -- just a whole lotta killin'  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT

I have been helping a buddy with some hogs lately.  It is amazing how fast they can destroy a field.  AL is starting to relax on hog permits but you still need to apply and be approved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
FLIR Hog Train just pulled in from the station, gettin' ready to do some night thermal blastin'

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Was out cruising the backyard on the ATVs when we saw two hogs about a half mile down the powerline grade, stalked them up to 250 yards and let a 250 pound boar have a .308, lots of good bacon on this one...

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Another important thought to consider when using any thermal weapon hunting scope is the diurnal cycle of inanimate objects absorbing IR radiation and subsequently irradiating IR radiation.

There are crossover times during a 24 hour period of time when inanimate objects (grass, trees, rocks, ground, water, etc) absorb sunlight and then re-radiate that light as IR.

Once you get accustomed to this aspect, you can adjust your thermal hunting times to coincide with the best diurnal crossover points to allow for maximum performance from your instruments.

I am constantly hearing about this and that regarding costly useless thermal instruments from newbies who just took their scopes out and everything was white-out or too hot or way too unresolute.

Where I do most of my hunting, unless we are under a high pressure dome, you can bet that the fog will set in about midnight. Thermal still works good in fog but not as good as a high pressure no fog. so maximum range and resolution is going to be affected. Just another reason why I PLAN my hunting times to coincide with maximal effective times at night, and also to take into accord the maximum emission of the diurnal crossover points of thermal absorption and emission of the millions of inanimate objects in the woods, simply because I am after only the animate ones.

If you plan your hunt times accordingly, you will be surprised how much more enjoyable it is instead of trying to hunt at minimal thermal productive times...

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay, I reworked my 8 hog kill video and put it in MP4 format so both PC and Mac users can see it, had allot of complaints from the Mac crowd that they could not see it. Recovered five that night and three more the next day.

So here it is:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/8%20Hogs.mp4
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#19]
^^Not bad at all.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Another nice boar tonight!

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]
One of the very few times that I did not need my FLIRs......  

Suckers came out of the woods about a 150 yards down the road and walked right up to me?

Must have thought I was their momma.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
OOOHHH they are so cute.  Names, T-bone, Pork-Chop, Sausage, Bacon, Cracklin, Trotters, and Tripe.  Or in the end Buzzard Bait.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Got out of the UTV without my rifle and went for a walk. No sooner do I get a 100 yards that I see a large sounder group in thick woods to my right. All I had was the SIG .357 with 124 grain Hornaday reloads and there were six large sows over 325 pounds, so I took out this small hog with the pistol with a lung shot that went clean through him.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Nailed my first nice hog thanks to the FLIR M-324XP thermal camera.

Set up right at twilight at a known crossing and had the FLIR covering the road down into a ravine about 125 yards in front of me and sat quiet, just as it was getting too dark to shoot an entire herd of hogs came out of the thick woods and started crossing the road, I could barely see them in the twilight darkness. Sat and watched them on the thermal for about two minutes as they were cavorting around back and forth around the road and figured I would not have a shot.

However this big sow cam walking up the road to the top of the hill that I was on and just kept coming, I could see her on the thermal and just keep quiet.

Finally she was less than 100 feet in front of me all lite up on the FLIR thermal and I took a head shot on her with my Thompson Center Contender with 10" barrel in .44 MAG with a 1.5X T/C scope.

Slug hit her right in the head and put her down.

This is the second kill with the M-Series, got another small shoat the other night too, but this one is a good 275 pounds...

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#25]
More summer hog hunts on public lands thanks to Florida Fish and Game Commission:

http://www.myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/hog-hunts/
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
The Mil-Spec Larson Electronics 24 watt 850nm Infrared Light Bar with 8-3 watt IR LEDs is a definite keeper!

Don't use without an autogated NVO system, it is super powerful, not to mention do NOT shine it at any human beings.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One of the very few times that I did not need my FLIRs......  

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/FLIR%20M%20Series/Hoglets.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/FLIR%20M%20Series/Hoglets2.jpg

Suckers came out of the woods about a 150 yards down the road and walked right up to me?

Must have thought I was their momma.
View Quote

They were there cause YOU KILLED their momma!  Skypup, you have to be feeding the entire county up there with all the meat you've been taking.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Mil-Spec Larson Electronics 24 watt 850nm Infrared Light Bar with 8-3 watt IR LEDs is a definite keeper!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/NV%20Pics/Hondini%20NV%20850nm%20Headlamp.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/NV%20Pics/850nm%20Headlamp.jpg

Don't use without an autogated NVO system, it is super powerful, not to mention do NOT shine it at any human beings.
View Quote

Did you opt for the spot version or the flood version?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I got the spot version. I provides plenty of spill all over the place and reaches out very far, I don't see any need for the flood version as everything anywhere close to you will be totally whited out and blinding. You want it mounted out in front of you and pointed upwards as not to broadcast over the immediate ground in front.

The pic does not do this thing justice from just my backyard stand out about 300 yards, half the beam is bouncing off a three foot berm in front of the UTV.

I will take it out in the mile wide cattle pasture and get a better representative shot of it's actual beam performance.

BTW, this is an extremely dangerous device with 24 watts of IR, do NOT shine at any humans under any circumstances and be sure to install a lighted switch for it so that you are absolutely aware that it is on and operational. It puts out some major power and is an accident waiting to happen if your inadvertently leave it on and shine it at someone.

Best to be safe than permanently sorry....
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is a more representative NV photo of the awesome Larson Electronics 850nm IR Blaster out on the cattle pasture grade, it is 1/2 mile to the reflector out there on the road....

[

Here is one a hundred yards back into the live oak hammock before entering the pasture:

Pretty much turns night into bright daylight!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Installed the SPI 720X480 waterproof mini DVR recorder so that I can record stalks and kills from the cab from the FLIR M-324 thermal video camera using a series of BNC connectors to a final RCA jack.

Also, you can see the the lite up RED LED warning that the powerful 850nm IR Blaster is ON.

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I ran IR leds on my truck for a while they worked great for driving.  But for spotting hogs and such I did not like them it was to much like what you see with regular white headlights while driving at night without night vision.  You could see a long ways straight out but you were blinded to the left and right.  If your sitting watching a open field or a feeder they would be pretty awesome though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks, so far they are working exceptionally well, and like you said they cover a large open 100 acre field extremely well.

Pretty much for driving around, the best are a set of RED LED lights like these, basically same as the IR setup but instead of IR LEDs, use Red Leds instead. You can still see the eye shine from very far off alerting you to the presence of an animal.

We are not hunting open ag fields like many other here, instead we are in natural areas that are basically either swamp heads or large heavy timber tracts of land with some interspersed wet/dry prairies and large live oak hammocks. There are no real food areas to anchor the hogs besides a couple of feeders that we maintain, which are easy to cover compared to the rest of the property.

In particular, in an open vehicle like an ATV or UTV, it is imperative to know the land very well so that no one gets injured or hurt from tree limbs and branches entering the cab and accidentally impaling someone or putting out an eye.

I maintain about 20+ miles of forest road grade pretty well, but there are always incidental limbs and branches coming down all the time all over the place, so have to always be cautious that no one is injured by the tree debris.

Driving around with IR in a heavily wooded area at night
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#35]
T-70 556 175 Yard Smackdown one shot through lungs DRT:

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]
77 grain IMI Sierra Match King, raining again for the thermal, hot 85*F and sticky 110%humid.

That is the exit wound.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#37]
LOL, this is getting too easy....

I'm cruising down the forest road out back in the UTV with the FLIR M-324 running and see two distinct hot spots about 250 yards ahead, cut the engine and watch them darting out of the thick cover on the side of the road. Decide to exit the UTV and stalk up a little closer on the road with the FLIR T-70 to see if it is a couple of coons or possibly some hogs?

Take a sitting position in the middle of the road (full moon coming up bright) and watch them in the thermal scope, decide they are in fact some hogs and about to get up to mosey in a bit closer when suddenly they both take off running right down the middle of the road towards me?

Caught a little off balance but watch them keep coming, at 125 yard coming right at me I decide to take out the one on the left with a frontal head shot as this is too good to be true and don't want to have them run off into cover.

BAM, he drops in his tracks with bullets between the eyes!

Other dude halts in his tracks and looks his buddy over and three seconds later BAM - head shot and he drops in his tracks.

Couple of 90 pounders are in the sausage grinder!

Awesome!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Picked up some nice .308 targets on the game cam behind the house for this weekends hunt, about a dozen 400 pounders.....

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Eating breakfast before leaving home for work this morning and 20 hogs are in my driveway, Browning Hi-Power takes down a sow with a headshot at 75 feet, breakfast bacon sizzling....

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like you have an older Hi-Power with fixed sights, what bullet were you carrying?  Obviously the 9 MM got the job done.  I've dispatched many injured deer from car crashes with the 9 MM.  I carried WW +P+ 115 grain JHP for many years and 357 Magnum 125 grain scallop jacket HP Remington before the 9 MM.  Both had very similar results using head shots.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I reload all my 9mm and SIG .357 with 124 grain Hornady XTP HP using Unique powder to +P loads, that sow had a nice head shot and was immediately DRT with a major CNS problem.

I have shot quite a few medium sized hogs with 9mm, .357 SIG, and .44 Mag handguns with good results, as usual shot placement is paramount with a handgun, even more so than a rifle..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree, thanks for the reply.  I've learned a lot from your post SkyPup thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Sniped out another sow from about 125 yards in the rain right at dusk this afternoon:

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#44]
The FLIR M-325 Pan/Tilt thermal camera and the FLIR T-70 are a deadly combination!

I was out on a feeder for two hours keeping it covered and watching all the deer and coons all over it and drove the Honda Pioneer UTV back the three mile ride to the house after dark. As I round the last curve headed for my house I saw a large hog about 300 yards ahead of me on the side of the forest trail grade in the FLIR M-324. Shut off the engine and doused the Larson Electronics RED LED super blaster headlamp and turned on the T-70 and took one shot below his ear from the driver's seat @ 175 yards with my SIG 556 and IMI 77 grain Razor ammo. He did not seem to notice the super bright red led at all....

Hog dropped dead with a severed spine at the nape of his neck, wish I had turned on the video as it would have been a great thermal video kill, he weighed 325 pounds....

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Dude will feed allot of people thanks to FLIR thermals!

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#47]
World's First Wild Boar Hog FlirOne thermal photo!

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Ye ole FLIR T-50 puts the .308 smackdown on another black hog tonight!

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#49]
HOT FLIRONE Thermal Hog Kill, single headshot 200 yards:

Had not even had this nice instrument for an entire 24 hour period and already the swine are chilling....
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#50]
SkyPup, you might have the most bad ass (bad assedest?)  UTV on the planet.  I'd like to see a write up of the NV-related upgrades you have rigged it up with.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top