Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor called me from his cell as he was driving by my property and said there was a wild hog out in my horse pasture?

I ran out with my HK and put the ACOG on him, but before I pulled the trigger I noticed he was wagging his tail

I'm like WTF is this....

Find out it was a wayward potbelly pig and we have adopted him as the farm mascot.

He hangs out in the pasture with the horses all day and comes into the stalls for breakfast and dinner.

When you rub his belly he flops over and goes into a trance as if he is hypnotized, pretty much a free spirit addition to the farm.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor called me from his cell as he was driving by my property and said there was a wild hog out in my horse pasture?

I ran out with my HK and put the ACOG on him, but before I pulled the trigger I noticed he was wagging his tail

I'm like WTF is this....

Find out it was a wayward potbelly pig and we have adopted him as the farm mascot.

He hangs out in the pasture with the horses all day and comes into the stalls for breakfast and dinner.

When you rub his belly he flops over and goes into a trance as if he is hypnotized, pretty much a free spirit addition to the farm.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/BBQ/Arnold.jpg
View Quote

Now that is cool!  Be careful adopting something so similar to your usual quarry, I made the mistake of adopting a duck a few years back and haven't been able to get myself to go duck hunting much since  He was a Muscovy and his name was John Deere, he also loved wagging his tale
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not meaning to hijack your thread Skypup, but have any of you ever heard a rattlesnake at night? I wear electronic muffs when hunting and turn them up full volume because my hearing sucks and it gives me an edge with the amplification. I shot a big boar Saturday night and had to go in the woods after him. About 20 yards in and I hear the distinctive sound of a rattlesnake, close! I just froze, as I couldn't immediately tell what direction the sound was coming from.

I pulled up my thermal and couldn't see anything, he's probably same temperature as surroundings and my NV didn't show me anything. If I had a hard time seeing him in the daytime, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to see him at night. I exited gracefully, once I got an idea where he was. Scared the crap out of me, I never heard one rattle at night.
View Quote

In Ranger school many moons ago in mountain phase we were moving "Ranger file" up a mountain....Rocky terrain. I could hear the rattle about 5 guys back. Pitch black. I knew we were walking right over it. I just braced and held my breath...hoping it wasn't "my turn"

We were just too tired to care. No one wanted to stop....just kept moving.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Went out to the feeders to download some game cam pics this morning and heard some grunting in the brush behind me and managed to get a head shot on this nice little Snacker!

Then was headed over to another game cam and saw three coyotes chasing a hen turkey in a clear cut, managed to take out one of them with my KAC SBR running at 150 yards out!

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
We do have a lot of successful night hunts and it was time to celebrate with a big party.

Cooked out two whole hogs on the BBQ smoker over live oak coals. Lite up the BBQ the previous day at 2PM and kept the temp at 200*F over night slow smoking, then cut up each of the four 1/2 hog sections and put them in deep marinade in large tin foil pans when I woke up and let that simmer until noon. Turned up the heat to 240*F and let that sit for two hours and then back down to 200*F again.

Party started at 6PM and we had two live Blues Bands in the old Pole Barn and served 225 people shrimp boil mixed with 80 pounds of wild hog sausages and did ribs and pulled pork off the two whole hogs in the smoker, about 280 some odd pounds of meat.

Everyone had a great time and there was no wild boar left.....all four beer kegs emptied.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Now that's how to celebrate!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like good times for all the lucky one's who got to attend. If anybody left hungry, it was their own fault !

Now it's time to clear the remains, but everything away, and get ready to go back out tonight to restock the wild hog locker....

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like good times for all the lucky one's who got to attend. If anybody left hungry, it was their own fault !

Now it's time to clear the remains, but everything away, and get ready to go back out tonight to restock the wild hog locker....

View Quote

Haha, that is EXACTLY what I have in mind, in fact, we are going out after these .308 sized hogs in my backyard later on this week, the one with the black head will have my cross-hairs on him!!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Have been wacking hogs like mad lately.

Put some corn in a tube feeder and hiked down 150 yards and five minutes later a sounder showed up!

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We do have a lot of successful night hunts and it was time to celebrate with a big party.

Cooked out two whole hogs on the BBQ smoker over live oak coals. Lite up the BBQ the previous day at 2PM and kept the temp at 200*F over night slow smoking, then cut up each of the four 1/2 hog sections and put them in deep marinade in large tin foil pans when I woke up and let that simmer until noon. Turned up the heat to 240*F and let that sit for two hours and then back down to 200*F again.

Party started at 6PM and we had two live Blues Bands in the old Pole Barn and served 225 people shrimp boil mixed with 80 pounds of wild hog sausages and did ribs and pulled pork off the two whole hogs in the smoker, about 280 some odd pounds of meat.

Everyone had a great time and there was no wild boar left.....all four beer kegs emptied.

View Quote

Wow, is that the deliciousness I was smelling last week?

Looks like a great time SP.  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
We had a couple Butt roast on the smoker today but between catastrophes I forgot to take pictures ole well next time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Nailed another Snacker today while loading up the feeders, Momma was super pissed!

shhhh.....one is sleeping on my rig. If I'm real quiet, I can sneak up and whack it.

Be very careful though.

That one has a rifle!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
SkyPup

I've been looking at your pics of dead hogs for past hour or more and one thing I noticed was that all your hogs are fat...well at least non are skinny.  Are there a lot of agricultural crops in your area?  What in the hell are they eating so much that they are fat?
I hunt hogs in south west FL and we have some plump hogs but many are skinny during some times of the year.  When we had our bountiful acorn crops few years ago almost all our hogs were plump too but this season there were very few acorns and I noticed many under weight hogs.  There are little to no agricultural crops in this area so most hogs here have to forage for food.      

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Zero ag crops and total wilderness, interspersed wet/dry prairies with planted pines and live oak hammocks.

I always wish that we had soybeans, corn, etc. with some open fields but we don't.

We do live in the largest Live Oak forest in the continental USA though, so plenty of gigantic old trees with acorns and lots of deer and turkey.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing I do note that the hogs really love this time of the year, besides the fresh mushroooms growing on dead logs after it rains, is the nut grass tubers, they really seem to seek them out and root the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Jumped a sounder @ 75 yards using IR laser.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, we did shoot three but only recovered one in the super thick swampy underbrush, could hear one lung shot bleeding out only 10 yards in but impossible to get in there to retrieve it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Walking back home from my backyard stand at sundown came across a sounder munching on some corn in one of my tubes, took one out @ 100 yards with a shot from the KAC SBR.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#21]
That is one hell of a exit wound.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Barnes 70 grain TSX handload.

Should have posted a warning : Danger - Crack Pipe Kills!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Those big boyz are still showing up but almost always late at night 3-4AM, so have not jumped them yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I need to get back down there and schwack some pork with yall again soon
View Quote

It is still real dry over here,waiting for the sea breeze fronts to kick up some thunderstorms to fill the prairies and mud wallows back up again, should start happening during the next few weeks. I'll let you know when it is primo action again, but Thermacelss will be required by then....
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#28]
KAC SR-15 SBR barks @ 75 yards and two snackers drop dead!

Dat's sum good grilling there folks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:Find out it was a wayward potbelly pig and we have adopted him as the farm mascot.
View Quote

"Arnold" huh? Hehehe. Yer datin' yerself, old man!  
But then again I reckon I am too.  d:^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally able to up my game with these two new SBR builds, each has a Truijicon ACOG 4X32mm TAO2 with a Truijicon 1 MOA RMR red dot sight so I am able to swap my FLIR T-70 thermals and DBAL lasers back and forth at will.

The Knight Armament KAC-15 Mod3 SBR has a Gemtech Trek Titanium 5.56mm can on it and the HK Competition MR556 has a Delta P Brevis II Titanium 5.56mm can on it.

And I am after some very big hogs here now too!

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Finally able to up my game with these two new SBR builds, each has a Truijicon ACOG 4X32mm TAO2 with a Truijicon 1 MOA RMR red dot sight so I am able to swap my FLIR T-70 thermals and DBAL lasers back and forth at will.

The Knight Armament KAC-15 Mod3 SBR has a Gemtech Trek Titanium 5.56mm can on it and the HK Competition MR556 has a Delta P Brevis II Titanium 5.56mm can on it.

And I am after some very big hogs here now too!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/HK/HK%20SBR%20DeltaP%20Brevis.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/HK/HK%20SBR%20DeltaP%20BrevisB.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/HK/KAC15%20SBR%20Gemtech%20Trek.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/HK/KAC15%20SBR%20Gemtech%20Trek%20B.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/HK/KAC15%20SBR%20Gemtech%20Trek%20C.jpg
View Quote

[joker] where does he get such wonderful toys [/joker]
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#32]
How effective do you find the shorty can to be?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How effective do you find the shorty can to be?
View Quote

The Gemtech Trek sounds like a .22 on an 11.5" 1/7" twist barrel with full power hand loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX, but that is from the crack of the supersonic bullet.

The Delta P Brevis II on a 10.5" 1:7" twist barrel has a different tone but also sounds like a .22.

Basically, either SBR is unusable without a good suppressor or ear muffs/plugs as the report unsuppressed is way too loud to withstand and will leave both your ears ringing badly if unprotected.

Very pleased with both builds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#34]
That's pretty impressive for such as small can.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's pretty impressive for such as small can.
View Quote

X2 I just got the papers back from the lawyer on my gun trust. Now I can't wait to sign them and start the ball rolling. My AWC Raider is getting heavy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Have been after a dozen large hogs bulldozing my backyard 24/7/365 for the past few months, hunted them many times and have taken out a few the last couple of months.

This one started showing up at one of my feeders real late at night 3-4AM and we went out a couple of times to nail him at 12-4AM with no luck.

Here he shows up on the game cam at 10PM the night before last , so we decided to go out and target him last night:

The dudes hoof prints are as big as my hand.  

It had rained all day long from before sun-up to after sun-down, we've had 16 inches of rain in 14 days and pretty much flooded, hot as hell, and muggy as all get out.

Thermals were all mono-thermal with undefined washed out gray for all the inanimate background forest tree canopy and terrafirma, but that did not matter as I had the FLIR M-324 Pan-Tilt remote control thermal on my Honda Pioneer set to Insta-Alert and every living creature stood out like a sore thumb.  

Came around a corner and could see two large red Insta-Alert heat signature with the FLIR M-324 Pan-Tilt down the forest trail about 3/4 mile ahead, tooled up another quarter of a mile and got out and hiked to the thermal signatures using the FLIR LS-XR the last half mile, so far they could be hogs or they could be deer?

Hiked in another quarter mile and ID'd them as hogs from 450 yards out, keep hiking in and positive ID at 300 yards was made.

Turned on the FLIR T-70 Clip-On in front of the ELCAN at 125 yards and put a 7.62X51mm 130 grain Barnes 3,000fps handloaded slug though his thoracic spine and he was DRT.

When scoping him out in the thermal, did not know his size but he appeared to be 225-250 pounds, however, when we walked up on him he was a very large stout beast and 400 pounds!

Good thing I took the 7.62 instead of the the 5.56 or he would have gotten away wounded and we'd lost him in the rain:

Dragged the beast back to the barn about a half-mile and strung him up to clean him out with the help of the front end loader on the tractor:

That is one solid chuck of meat after removing all the viscera:

140 Quart Deep Sea Cooler with no ice is completely full and weighs around 225-250 pounds.

The shot took about five minutes of stalking, that was the easy part, getting him home, strung up and cleaned out was a job.......

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#37]
That is one fat hog.  Nice later on them hand.  That will make some great eats.  Good shooting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Just put another 200 pounds of ice on that hog, took the first 200 pounds just to chill him down.

Sure pays to have a 230V commercial ice maker and some good Cajun spices for the sausage grind!
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you normally just grind everything or do you keep certain cuts of meat?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Depends on the size of the hog, normally on a hog this large we keep the loins, ribs, and hams and grind most of everything else, on smaller 150-225 pound hogs we butcher out the cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Depends on the size of the hog, normally on a hog this large we keep the loins, ribs, and hams and grind most of everything else, on smaller 150-225 pound hogs we butcher out the cuts of meat.
View Quote

That Hamp should make some good eatin.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I picked up the TK Scout to go with the RS32 and I was just given access to a 2,000 acre mitigation bank, that is loaded with hogs, to conduct invasive control.

My Gemtech HVT also just arrived.

Someday we are going to have to meet up at Napolatano's so I can pick your brain.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn, I just celebrated Father's Day at Nappy's last night!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a couple of large tree trunks topple over the forest road out back of house in the massive supercell thunderstorms we recently experienced. Decided to take the TLB out and chainsaw them up and clear the roads early in the morning to beat the heat.

Finished chainsawing up this huge tree across the road and was drinking some water to get rehydrated when I hear this huge HISS and find this staring at me from 15 feet away:

He was quite a ways away from the lake he must live in and was migrating through the forest underbrush I guess since it is gator mating season and they are roaring and roaming around looking for a mate.

Finished chopping up three more trees and clearing the road of branches and debris when I saw a sounder group of hogs crossing the road at 10AM in broad daylight about a hundred yards away.

Took my SIG P-229 with handloaded .357 SIG Hornady 90gr hollowpoints @ 1,550fps and ran down the road after the hogs.

Took two headshots at two running hogs @ 35 yards and DRT:

Man, was that a blast full of fast hot action with the pistol!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like Hard work was rewarded.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Hog hunting with a handgun is always a challenge, especially at night under NODs.

My .357 SIG has a Crimson Trace IR laser in the grip that is simple and instant to use out to 200+ feet at night.

The Galco Miami Vice shoulder holster is a real nice keeping the weight on your chest instead of your hips and keeping the pistol handy for instant access when required.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Was hiking out to check the feeders in the backyard this morning in the obscene heat and humidity, came up on another sounder @ 150 yards, 70gr Barnes TSX put him down on the spot from the KAC-15 SBR:

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#48]
The 70 grain Barnes TSX handloads out of the KAC-15 SBR work like gangbusters, tiny entrance hole and huge exit hole!

Was worried about the shorter barrel velocity affecting the penetration and knock down, but no longer worried after a dozen kills with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
When Pigs Fly!

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I have had only three inches of rain here in the last month.  Send some my way!!!
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top