Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Current 2016 USDA Swine Infestaion Map.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I need to get over to Eastern Oregon and see what I can find.  Been told they are hard to find over there. But they seem to have spread since 2014.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The Flir Marine M-Series remote controlled Pan/Tilt thermal video camera puts down more swine and song dogs at night than just about anything else I use.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting to see so many hogs in white color.
I'm in South FL and I don't think 15% of hogs around here has any white.
We do have occasionally interesting looking silver/gray hogs that started showing up about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing is for sure, a hog is a hog.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing is for sure, a hog is a hog.
View Quote

Yup, they all taste the same
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
great shooting, pictures and equipment! im over in nw fl, trying to find some pigs. have a 10" rigid ir combo going on the front of my rzr, hopefully it works good. i had a larson 12", but was not any brighter than my surefire handheld vampire.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Two of us were setup in my UTV in my backyard watching the thermal screen from my remote FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt over an area I had baited with corn pipes where some large hogs were showing up. Both of us had suppressed SIG 716 .308s with FLIR thermals and 150 grain SPs.

Large Loner Boar Hog shows up out of dense woods into the open 75 yards in front of us, target with thermals and countdown 1,2,3....

I shoot and boar is knocked over with a loud WHACK when .308 pill hits him, however he gets back up and and is limping into a nearby dense jungle brush.

No shot from my buddy, his rifle missfired with a dud reloaded shell.

Get out and both of us search with helmet mounted FLIR M-24 thermals and FLIR XR hand scanners for an hour with no thermal signatures sighted.

Get back home at 4:30AM and crash.

After sunup, headed back out to canvass area to try to discover where the wounded boar bedded down for the night, figuring he would be dead.

Had my KAC-15 with Truijicon ACOG, BE Meyers MAWL dual beam laser on Green Vis, two magazines of 556 77gr SMKs, and my SIG P-226.

Hiked out into the dense brush and began transecting the area back and forth using the FLIR InstaAlert checking for heat signatures.

About to give it up after an hour of hiking back and forth in and out, when I stepped out of a thick bristle brush right on top of the hog bedded down 20 feet in front of me.

He got up and ran into even deeper thicker woods thicket with me getting off five quick shots at point blank range into his side and ass as he disappeared again.

Circled the thick brush trying to see him with no joy for thirty minutes.

The sun was occluded and I was on the verge of getting lost in the dense woods but kept slowing walking around a dense thicket.

Suddenly he came charging out at me from 40 feet, with Green Laser on his head I shot him 10 times and he went down 25 feet from me.

Shot another five rounds into his neck to sever his spine and I finally had him dead at my feet.

Now I was a quarter mile or more deep in the woods pretty much almost lost as the morning sun was obliterated with dense clouds.

Tried to walk straight back out to forest grade to the ATV but that was impossible.

Somehow made it back out to the grade and hiked down to ATV and returned to my marked spot where I had come out.

Driving the ATV in there to get the hog was a nightmare and extremely difficult getting hung up everywhere and getting lost again.

Had to come back out to forest grade twice and reenter to try to find the dead hog where I had left him.

On the third try I finally saw him, roped him on the hitch and put in in 4WD to drag him out.

After overheating the ATV, finally made it out to the grade and headed a half mile back home in 1st gear 4WD.

Thank God for diesel engine power and tractor hydraulics as I finally got him winched up in the barn about noontime and he weighed 410 pounds on the scale, hams are 40 pounds each.

Went to brewery and got 300 pounds of ice and a case of freshly brewed suds and went to work on the beast......

This is my SIG 716 .308 I shot him with Elcan 1-6X, FLIR T-70:

This is the area we were staked out in the mobile UTV hunting blind:

This is the same shot with the FLIR M-324 remote Pan/Tilt, he came out of the woods to the left:

This is the bed he bedded down for the night in where I first jumped him and shot him again, you can see the blood in the dirt:

This is him where I finally put him down with the KAC-15 and MAWL Green Vis Laser:

Here is the ATV finally making it out to the forest grade road to head home:

Here is the diesel powered hydraulics and mobile UTV hunting blind back at the house:

Here is the size of this dude's hoof:

Here is the beer factory where I picked up the 300 pounds of ice and cold brew for the butchering job:

They do not mess around here, best damn beer around:

Here is the scale once I got him strung up in the barn:

Most amazing day I have had in a long long time......
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Great story.  Would have loved to have seen a video of that.  Them 10' charges will make one need time new pants
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That really was not too good of an idea of me hunting up a wounded bedded down boar hog in thick woods alone, it was a two man job for sure.

The 556 had virtually NO stopping power at close range and I shot him 4-5 times in the flank and another 10 times in the head and 5 more in neck spine for good measure.

I am lucky I made it out of there without any mishap alone in there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.   You need to thank Saint Sus for watching over you...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That really was not too good of an idea of me hunting up a wounded bedded down boar hog in thick woods alone, it was a two man job for sure.

The 556 had virtually NO stopping power at close range and I shot him 4-5 times in the flank and another 10 times in the head and 5 more in neck spine for good measure.

View Quote
People laugh at my stubby little  .45/70 but it keeps my underwear clean!

Skypup I was wondering if the pigs dried up haven't heard a good post in awhile.
I snapped a Hornady steel match on a coyote last night with no boom. This is the second one from that box.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#14]
http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/dates/

2017 spring and summer hog hunting on public lands

See where you can hunt hogs on wildlife management areas without a quota permit this spring and summer. These weekend opportunities start in May.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious, why did you use the ATV to recover him instead of the big UTV? Just too difficult to get the bigger vehicle that deep into the woods?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]
UTV would have never made it back in there, was difficult enough with the ATV.

A D9 CAT would have been perfect.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Went for a nice hike on the forest grade last night and shot six but only recovered three of them, difficult keeping them out of the thick palmetto underbrush....

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks like a lot of fun!!!  Plus you have all the cool toys :)
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Two of us were setup in my UTV in my backyard watching the thermal screen from my remote FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt over an area I had baited with corn pipes where some large hogs were showing up. Both of us had suppressed SIG 716 .308s with FLIR thermals and 150 grain SPs.

Large Loner Boar Hog shows up out of dense woods into the open 75 yards in front of us, target with thermals and countdown 1,2,3....

I shoot and boar is knocked over with a loud WHACK when .308 pill hits him, however he gets back up and and is limping into a nearby dense jungle brush.

No shot from my buddy, his rifle missfired with a dud reloaded shell.

Get out and both of us search with helmet mounted FLIR M-24 thermals and FLIR XR hand scanners for an hour with no thermal signatures sighted.

Get back home at 4:30AM and crash.

After sunup, headed back out to canvass area to try to discover where the wounded boar bedded down for the night, figuring he would be dead.

Had my KAC-15 with Truijicon ACOG, BE Meyers MAWL dual beam laser on Green Vis, two magazines of 556 77gr SMKs, and my SIG P-226.

Hiked out into the dense brush and began transecting the area back and forth using the FLIR InstaAlert checking for heat signatures.

About to give it up after an hour of hiking back and forth in and out, when I stepped out of a thick bristle brush right on top of the hog bedded down 20 feet in front of me.

He got up and ran into even deeper thicker woods thicket with me getting off five quick shots at point blank range into his side and ass as he disappeared again.

Circled the thick brush trying to see him with no joy for thirty minutes.

The sun was occluded and I was on the verge of getting lost in the dense woods but kept slowing walking around a dense thicket.

Suddenly he came charging out at me from 40 feet, with Green Laser on his head I shot him 10 times and he went down 25 feet from me.

Shot another five rounds into his neck to sever his spine and I finally had him dead at my feet.

Now I was a quarter mile or more deep in the woods pretty much almost lost as the morning sun was obliterated with dense clouds.

Tried to walk straight back out to forest grade to the ATV but that was impossible.

Somehow made it back out to the grade and hiked down to ATV and returned to my marked spot where I had come out.

Driving the ATV in there to get the hog was a nightmare and extremely difficult getting hung up everywhere and getting lost again.

Had to come back out to forest grade twice and reenter to try to find the dead hog where I had left him.

On the third try I finally saw him, roped him on the hitch and put in in 4WD to drag him out.

After overheating the ATV, finally made it out to the grade and headed a half mile back home in 1st gear 4WD.

Thank God for diesel engine power and tractor hydraulics as I finally got him winched up in the barn about noontime and he weighed 410 pounds on the scale, hams are 40 pounds each.

Went to brewery and got 300 pounds of ice and a case of freshly brewed suds and went to work on the beast......

This is my SIG 716 .308 I shot him with Elcan 1-6X, FLIR T-70:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/SIG%20716.jpg

This is the area we were staked out in the mobile UTV hunting blind:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/UTV%20IR.jpg

This is the same shot with the FLIR M-324 remote Pan/Tilt, he came out of the woods to the left:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/FLIR.jpg

This is the bed he bedded down for the night in where I first jumped him and shot him again, you can see the blood in the dirt:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Hog%20Bed.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Blood%20Trail.jpg

This is him where I finally put him down with the KAC-15 and MAWL Green Vis Laser:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Hog%20KAC15.jpg

Here is the ATV finally making it out to the forest grade road to head home:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/ATV%20Hog.jpg

Here is the diesel powered hydraulics and mobile UTV hunting blind back at the house:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Hondini%20Tractor%20Hog.jpg

Here is the size of this dude's hoof:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Hoof%20Hand.jpg

Here is the beer factory where I picked up the 300 pounds of ice and cold brew for the butchering job:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Beer%20Factory.jpg

They do not mess around here, best damn beer around:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/Beer.jpg

Here is the scale once I got him strung up in the barn:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/410%20Pound%20Hog/410%20Scale.jpg

Most amazing day I have had in a long long time......
View Quote
Incredible story.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride.  Sure hope you're doing a euro on that skull.  It must be huge.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]

HaHa, I am working on it but think it will look like Swiss Cheese!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Ruger 10-22 with FLIR RS-64 and Gemtech Mist Integral Suppressor shooting Winchester .22LR 42 grain SubSonics.

Splat, Splat, Splat, Splat is all you hear as the slugs tear the Dillo bodies all apart.

Got 12 in the yard last month and off to a good start this month!

These are the best .22 HPs I've ever used.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#22]
This Gemtech Integral Suppressed barrel is the quietest .22 can ever!

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This Gemtech Integral Suppressed barrel is the quietest .22 can ever!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Ruger%201022/Suppressed%20Ruger.JPG
View Quote
I shoot the winchester Hp's through and old remmy with a 25" barrel and they are as quiet as a pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#24]
So, I have been after this rather large herd of boars that have been showing up at my feeding tubes irregularly late at night over a 2 square mile area.

They always show up after midnight between 1-4AM.

I got one a couple of weeks back by my lonesome self and had some out of state friends coming in and was trying to get them acclimated to my mobile PVC feeder pipe tubes to get them out of the thick stuff and into the open to anchor them. Once they show up on the feeder pipes they are usually there for an hour beating the pipes up to get the corn and molasses out of them.

The site is 1/4 mile behind my house, so takes 5 minutes to walk out there.

We setup up out there Thursday night at 12 midnight and stayed until 3AM and saw the usual coons, deer, possums, armadillos while sitting in the UTV watching their heat signatures on the FLIR Pan/Tilt thermal system in the cab.

Walked down to bait pipes and found they had already been hit prior to us showing up at midnight, this has not happened on the game cams in 2-3 months so was pissed, looked at game cam pics to confirm.

Went out to dinner Saturday night at Sonny BBQ and had some awesome smoked ribs and beer. Got home at 10PM and got ready to head out.

Walked out my forest grade road behind house in heavy fog and humidity from rain previously in the day, everything was monthermatic.

Within five minutes saw two big hogs at feeder 250 yards out, air was dead still and ground damp so continued to stalk closer.

Stalked up to 50 yards and stood still in forest grade and tried to target a hog for a headshot with our 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel but hogs fought each other over the corn pipe and kept moving around the tree it was anchored to.

Finally one presented with a head shot and opened up.

First target fell and collapsed onto the ground, transitioned to second target and shot it twice, then first target got up wounded with what appeared a broken front leg and tried to scurry into dense underbrush, continued firing back at first target, it fell again and transitioned back to second target now much deeper in the woods with 3-4 more rounds. Slapped in fresh magazines and advanced onto the first target to get it anchored as was intermittently crawling and trying to stand, put six more rounds into first target, second target was now a thermal anomaly and deep into the heavy underbrush.

Shot first target two more times and appeared it was no longer moving. Walked up to it and was shocked to see the size of it still breathing so shot into neck with two 6.5 Grendel rounds at 20 feet.

First target dead, look for second and scout around for it to no avail.

Walk home to get 4WD ATV to get back 175 yards into very thick underbrush and haul dead hog out, very difficult to say the least.

Get hog out to forest grade and ride home to get the tractor, recover hog and string him up.

NV view of road from where we started shooting, hogs came in from the left:

Thermal view from FLIR Pan/Tilt of the same area:

Hog finally down 175 yards back into brush after shooting began:

Finally got him after emptying a magazine at him, hole is head was coup de grace:

Very difficult getting him back to forest road:

Strung him up in barn to butcher and take to Veterinary School to have meat professionally processed:

Stout dude:

520 pounds

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Boy they soaked up the lead. I bet your hunters were excited as kid's at Christmas.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Should have had .308s with 175gr, the 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel was not enough...

We did mange to get some snackers too....

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#27]
520 fucking pounds !!!!!!!

That has to be some sort of record. Never knew they could get that heavy.

At that weight, forget the .308 and break out the .338 LM
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is that Boar Hog's last selfie prior to running into us and the 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel.

Daytime shot of the two crack pipes where he went down:

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Holy shit dude. Are you lacing those corn pipes with growth hormone or something lol?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#31]
bad ass to say the least. had no luck in south ga mothers day weekend and have not seen but a couple hogs in NW FL
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Dang it SkyPup you're feeding them hog's way to much.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Those crack pipes work good, I move them around to where the action is to draw them out into the open and anchor them. They are usually on one for an hour knocking it around giving amble time for an ambush. I fill them with corn and high sulfur blackstrap molasses and they love it, can smell them miles away.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Not many 500 pounds animals you can hunt legally at night with NV and Thermal gear anywhere in North America.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not many 500 pounds animals you can hunt legally at night with NV and Thermal gear anywhere in North America.
View Quote
True but a fart from one could be deadly.
Someone cracks the right joke and someone might laugh themselves into a heart attack or worse yet spot their britches.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Big dudes tusks are looking pretty good but still too ripe to harvest.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, that a big set of chompers. Bet they could tear a man up if he got to close.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm surprised they aren't broken.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm surprised they aren't broken.
View Quote
Back of his skull is broken with a handloaded 123 grain Hornady SST from my 6.5 Grendel.

Tusks are looking good for the mount though!

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey T,  thanks for the posts!

How are the ticks this year down your way?

We still need to meet at Nappy's sometime.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hey T,  thanks for the posts!

How are the ticks this year down your way?

We still need to meet at Nappy's sometime.
View Quote
Ticks are REAL BAD

Mag Dump on a sounder tonight with handloaded Barnes 100 gr TSX from 12" 6.5 Grendel SBR @ 150 yards.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I bet that was pure squealing satisfaction
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#43]
It was a blast for sure!

Grendel SBR works fantastic as does the .30 cal Harvestor can, rings steel with authority out 300 yards.

The proof is in the pudding!

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It was a blast for sure!

Grendel SBR works fantastic as does the .30 cal Harvestor can, rings steel with authority out 300 yards.

The proof is in the pudding!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/6.5%20Grendel/Sausage.JPG
View Quote
I have been wanting to add a Grendel SBR for some time now. Just a waiting on my gun trust to finalize.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Got the Grendel dialed in at 200 yard zero and have been blasting hogs left and right on newly planted deer food plots, got these two @ 175 yards last night but three others managed to make it into the thick palmetto underbrush for buzzard bait.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Finally got the trophy skull cleaned up that the FLIR T-70s and 6.5mm Grendal and 6.8 SPC took down.

Quite the tusker indeed!

Grendel gave him quite the headache....

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Finally got the trophy skull cleaned up that the FLIR T-70s and 6.5mm Grendal and 6.8 SPC took down.

Quite the tusker indeed!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/6.5%20Grendel/Head1.JPG

http://www.phossil.com/thom/6.5%20Grendel/Head2.jpg

Grendel gave him quite the headache....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/6.5%20Grendel/Head3.jpg
View Quote
Yeah it did!  I still can't get over how good a shape them cutters are in. I caught a little 60# sow this morning in the lightning and forgot to take a picture. I wasn't to keen on sitting on that tractor any longer than I needed to.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Got a new set of HogBalls to accentuate the feeders.

Holy HogBalls, BatMan!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Got a new set of HogBalls to accentuate the feeders.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/HogBalls.JPG

Holy HogBalls, BatMan!
View Quote
Your going to have all the hog's coming to Hog patch recreational park.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top