Next Page  
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 4:44:18 PM
[Last Edit: 3/21/2012 4:45:23 PM by usmc0331tamu00]
Originally Posted By quijanos:
Originally Posted By Flintknapper:
Originally Posted By HH1010:
I worked for a helo company for three years and asked him about the rotors being shot and he said it was a 1 in 77,000 chance of hitting it. Brand new 20,000$ blades and he said go ahead and try to hit one.

People win the lottery when "chances" are 1 in 26 MILLION!

But each pilot gets to make his own rules.

Personally, as a passenger (with NO ability to fly a chopper), I want my pilot to be as un-distracted as possible. I.E. no brass flying around in the cockpit, no muzzle pointed at the blades EVER (this happens sometimes in a hard bank toward the shooters side, something to watch for).

Going down in a chopper at low altitude (at normal speeds) would be pretty much un-survivable, I can't imagine an R22 or R44 holding together too well.

R22 and R44's or any piston driven helo's for that matter should be banned from the air.

OP, your idea of the pilot operating "safely in your experience" is a bold statement.
You obviously know nothing about the differences in a R22/R44 and a real helicopter.
Be safe.

I did not say anything about the helicopters at all, and you are correct, I don't know anything about one from the other. My statement referred to my observations of the pilot's behavior. I could have just caught him on a good day though.

Next time I will be doing a few things differently. Deflector is one. The intent of the rope was to prevent the muzzle from being pointed upwards but it didn't work so well for an SBR.
"Rome's glory by way of the Greeks came,
America's by cutting the English cord,
But Texas was sired by Fighters,
And a nation was born of the Sword"

Anonymous 1836
Page:  / 2
Next Page