Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2010 4:20:59 PM EDT
I have an LMT 556 piston carbine and just got a YHM Phantom suppressor.

Any recommendations on bullet weight for hog/predator hunting with this setup? Is 69gr better than 55gr? green 62gr? Or does it even matter?

Also, I read that POF allows you to tweak the piston when running suppressed for optimal results, is there such a thing for the LMT?

thx
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, the more it weighs the better. Sub-sonic is all the same speed basically 1050 fps, so the one that is heavier wins..
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In my opinion, the more it weighs the better. Sub-sonic is all the same speed basically 1050 fps, so the one that is heavier wins..

really? I thought subsonics were not good for hunting, not enough punch and it just wounds animal?

Where can one get 5.56 subsonics?

thx
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Were getting a ruger 77/44 suppressed 'Bison" after the holidays. 300g doing 1050fps under 85 yards to a hogs head is a one shot deal.DRT. I wouldn't use a subsonic 223 for hogs, but a full power suppressed I would. I know guys who kill hogs for a living and use the 77/44, they swear by it. I can't wait to get mine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Use as heavy a Barne's TSX as your gun will stabilize.

P
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Use as heavy a Barne's TSX as your gun will stabilize.

P

I don't think they will open up, not enough speed?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
60gr partitions always worked very well for me when I hunt with a .223.  I've killed a shitload of hogs with cheap reman'd 55gr sp's.  I mostly hunt with my .308, but I still grab the ar on occasions and put a hurt on them.  Put one in the neck or ear and it really doesn't matter what you feed your gun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I would never shoot a hog with subsonic .223.  You will just piss it off, and waste the bullet.

I have the Ruger 77/44 and I like the 300 grain Hornady XTP alot.  I also will be trying out some Barnes Busters, too.  The rifle is accurate to just about 100 yards, and I have shot them in the head and the heart, usually killing them either DRT or they might run about 30-40 yards.  the biggest problem with the 77/44 is the inability to get off a quick follow-up shot which is so critical for hunting hogs.

If you are going to shoot suppressed, then supersonic .223 or 6.8 will work, but the 6.8 is much more likely to knock them down.  Barnes TSX or TTSX's are the king of the hill when it comes to killing hogs, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would never shoot a hog with subsonic .223.  You will just piss it off, and waste the bullet.

I have the Ruger 77/44 and I like the 300 grain Hornady XTP alot.  I also will be trying out some Barnes Busters, too.  The rifle is accurate to just about 100 yards, and I have shot them in the head and the heart, usually killing them either DRT or they might run about 30-40 yards.  the biggest problem with the 77/44 is the inability to get off a quick follow-up shot which is so critical for hunting hogs.

If you are going to shoot suppressed, then supersonic .223 or 6.8 will work, but the 6.8 is much more likely to knock them down.  Barnes TSX or TTSX's are the king of the hill when it comes to killing hogs, IMO.

Great info, thanks. Do you get any expansion with the subsonic? Do you shoot full loads out of it ever?

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using 75 grain Hornady TAP and Black Hills 77 grain with great DRT results on hogs.  I shot two boars and a piglet last week with TAP ammo and none of them moved from the spot where they got hit.  I would not use 62 grain steel cored M855 if I had a choice.  I've shot other critters through the lungs and watched them get up and run far far away.  It makes little holes that go straight through.  I wouldn't have any problems using 60ish grain bonded hunting ammo or the 62 grain solid copper rounds.

I found some 6.8 SPC 85 grain TSX ammo the other day at Mission Essential in Hinesville.  I can't wait to try these out with my LMT MRP on some hogs.

Using subsonic .223/5.56 on a hog is just dumb.  

Hog SWAT are you with that bunch that runs hunts out of Coffee Co?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
So far, the only bullets I could get to expand, were Speer Gold Dots, and that was inconsistent.  As is the ususal dogma, the heavier bullet you can use, the better off you are, with subs, no matter the construction.  I do sometimes shoot .44 special loads (generally subsonic) and full power .44 mag, too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Its just me and a part time guide atm, no 'bunch'. I'm in Lessburg. I operate in about a 60 mile radius.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh okay I think I saw an article about you in GON or something where y'all shot an incredible # of piggies in one night.  Is that right?  Anyway, I'm over in Cook Co.  Hogs have been around for about 5 years but in the last two years the population has exploded.  We had to put an electric fence around the peanut field this year because they rooted up 1.5 acres the night after they were planted.  We've been having a great time thinning the herd.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Naa That was the PHAThog guys. A group of farmers who kills hogs together. Great guys. My add was right under there artical, so folks think were affiliated, but it was just the way the mag placed us. Sounds like you have a handel on your problem.Have you tried baiting yet? Get the permit and start stackin em up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top