Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 3:50:13 PM EDT
Got this guy last Friday. Spotted him on a hillside eating blackberries. There was an old, overgrown logging "road" on the top of the hillside he was on and I thought I could get up there and take a close shot on him from the top so I got back on my bike and went up to it. Ditched the bike and started making my way through the brush and stickers to where it comes out of the timber on top of the hill. All the sudden the ground in front of me erupted as I bust 2 grouse. Shit! I keep sneaking along. I crawl down a 5ft deep ditch, start up the other side and think I'm probably getting close, I better put in the ear plugs I actually thought ahead enough to bring with me this time. I look up real quick and there he is. 30 yards straight ahead staring right at me. He heard the grouse and came to investigate I guess. I didn't really want to find out what was going to happen next so I steadied my Tikka T3 as best I could dead center on his chest and let one rip. He takes off, I hear 2 cries and silence. He made it about 40 yards down the "road" and expired. I took the shot at 7:10pm and didn't get back to the truck, 3 miles away, until 12:30am. I'm not a pro obviously but I'm thankful that I had a real good buddy who showed up at about 9:30 with nothing but coordinates of my location and the road my truck was parked on.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#1]
nice bear congrats
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice bear. What did it weigh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 99avant:
View Quote

I'm really not sure. I quartered it out in the field and left the spine, ribs, and insides. I took 44.5lbs of sausage meat to the butcher, probably another 25lbs of steaks/stew meat, the hide + skull weighs probably 50lbs? I dunno, I'm just guessing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!

My next hunting trip out of IN will be for bear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:

I'm really not sure. I quartered it out in the field and left the spine, ribs, and insides. I took 44.5lbs of sausage meat to the butcher, probably another 25lbs of steaks/stew meat, the hide + skull weighs probably 50lbs? I dunno, I'm just guessing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
Originally Posted By 99avant:

im guessing 140s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top