Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2016 10:38:50 AM EDT
I have just won the Maryland Bear Lottery after entering it for the past 4 years.  I am a new hunter and know a little about hunting deer (went out for the first time last year) and even less about black bear.  The season is in late October, and I am trying to do as much research as possible to increase my odds of having a successful hunt.  I will be hunting public lands.  According to MD DNR, last year hunters with bear permits had an 8.6% success rate.  MD allows the permit holder to bring up to two additional hunters with them(sub-permittees), however we can only take one bear total (if we get so lucky).  I will be using a Tikka T3 CTR chambered in .308 with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x scope.  I did purchase a tree stand for the deer season this year (Treewalker ProMag).  I assume that this will be useful for bear as well.  I'm spending my time reading up on black bear habitat and what they do during the day.

Any tips/links/advise that you guys could provide me would be awesome.  There is no baiting or catch dogs permitted in  MD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
find natural food sources. seeing a bear in the woods is very tough, even in areas full of them. you need to find where they are feeding and set up near it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top