Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 7:23:39 PM EDT
Is there a way to check for this with a home kit? I heard it's very common in bears and cats.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about any home tests, but seeing the effects in two friends who contracted it processing a bear, if I even had an inkling of contracting it, I'd be making a doctor's appointment asap.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It's probably wise to assume that the flesh of bears, mountain lions (and probably smaller specimens of felines, and canine predators, too) harbor trichinae, and ought not be eaten unless thoroughly cooked, as was once and until only fairly recently the standard for cooking pork. Ignore at some painful peril...
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#3]
if you think it may have it. throw it out. it is just not worth the trouble .
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I don't know about any home tests, but seeing the effects in two friends who contracted it processing a bear, if I even had an inkling of contracting it, I'd be making a doctor's appointment asap.
View Quote

They contracted it without eating it, jus from handling contaminated (infested?) flesh, or am I misunderstanding?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

They contracted it without eating it, jus from handling contaminated (infested?) flesh, or am I misunderstanding?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I thought you had to ingest the cysts and your digestive juices would break them down, but maybe someone who knows what he is talking about will check in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

There was a neighborhood black bear causing problems, it was being processed for jerky, ground bear etc.  

This was being done in a commercial facility. No ppe, (gloves) were being used.

Bill cut himself while boning a haunch, his girlfriend had an laceration on her hand.

That's how they contracted it.

Both were slim in good shape, before the parasite ran it's course they both lost so much weight they ended up being hospitalized.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dsparil] [#7]

There was a neighborhood black bear causing problems, it was being processed for jerky, ground bear etc.  
Bill cut himself while boning a haunch, his girlfriend had an laceration on her hand.
Both were slim in good shape, before the parasite ran it's course they both lost so much weight they ended up being hospitalized.

View All Quotes

I guess thoroughly cooked means cut into thin slices and let sear for like an hour.  And I actually asked this question not because of bear, but because of raccoons. I heard bears have it quite a bit but raccoons seem to almost universally carry it. There was a thread or post about a guy eating raccoon and how it was very common. Another thread of someone eating bobcat and I'm like uh ok. If Mountain Lions, Bears and Raccoons carry it then I'm sure bobcats do as well. I mean what do they do to check for it? There must be something. Cut open the intestine?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dsparil:

I guess thoroughly cooked means cut into thin slices and let sear for like an hour.  And I actually asked this question not because of bear, but because of raccoons. I heard bears have it quite a bit but raccoons seem to almost universally carry it. There was a thread or post about a guy eating raccoon and how it was very common. Another thread of someone eating bobcat and I'm like uh ok. If Mountain Lions, Bears and Raccoons carry it then I'm sure bobcats do as well. I mean what do they do to check for it? There must be something. Cut open the intestine?
View All Quotes

Pigs mostly, in my day.

Don't know about now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#9]

View All Quotes

Hunting wild hogs has always seemed iffy to me, but I don't speak from  experience.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/ency/articles/trichinosis

"Causes
Trichinosis is a disease caused by eating meat that
has not been thoroughly cooked and contains cysts (larvae, or immature
worms) of Trichinella spiralis. Trichinella spiralis can be found in pork, bear, walrus, fox, rat, horse, and lion.

Wild
animals, especially carnivores (meat eaters) or omnivores (animals that
eat both meat and plants), should be considered possible sources of
roundworm disease. Domestic meat animals raised specifically for eating
under United States Department of Agriculture (government) guidelines
and inspection can be considered safe. For this reason, trichinosis is
rare in the United States, but it is a common infection worldwide."

"Prevention

Pork and meat from wild animals should be
cooked until well done (no traces of pink). Freezing pork at subzero
temperatures (5°F - 15°C, or colder) for 3 to 4 weeks will kill the
worms. Freezing wild game meat does not always kill the worms. Smoking,
salting, and drying meat are also not reliable methods of killing the
worms."

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Elders have always said to be careful when cutting up bears and other animals that carry it.

Also to make sure you cook them well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My brother inlaw is an avid bear hunter  in OR.  Early on in his youth his brother was helping him skin out his bear and cut himself with the knife they were skinning with.  He contracted Trichinosis and nearly died from it.  Since then they do not touch the animals without gloves.  They wear heavy duty industrial rubber gloves.  They also cut up the meat in small portions and freeze it prior to using it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone think battery acid, for tanning, would kill the worms?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: portablegorilla] [#13]
Just assume they all have it and cook it accordingly. Save rare and raw recipes for deer and elk, use the bear for pot roasts, ground meat, stew and broth.

We eat a ton of bear and pigs, never had an issue. I'm also planning on eating my wolf if I'm able to connect this year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Anyone think battery acid, for tanning, would kill the worms?
View Quote

Would freezing the hide for a duration be less destructive?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Trich is caused by eating the meat.  I do not believe there is a chance of contraction by handling.

The only way to be sure you are save is to cook the meat above 160.  I would consider all bear to be carriers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:27:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmJ] [#16]
Steven Rinella contracted Trichinosis , he talks about it here . https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=303&v=Rx5ZKJ0Vozc
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Wish I cooked this more the other night now
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Trich is scary but as long as you cook it for the appropiate time ( there's some handy charts on the Internet), you'll be fine. I read a study about some bears in Western Montana that stated 90% of the bears tested ( I don't remember the number but it was alot of bears) carried the virus so assume all bears have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top