Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2016 4:35:08 AM EDT
I got drawn for the fall WI bear season!!  I would like some input as to what i should bring weapon wise. Shots will be under 50 yards (over bait).  I am thinking my 308 AR with ACOG but feel this may be overkill for such short distance. I may take a 30-30? I have or have access to most any popular center fire rifles.  Sidearm will be my S&W Highway patrolman 357.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#1]
congratulations,
308 will be a good choice. nothing is overkill for bears imo. i like 300 win mag for body shots. 44 mag for head shots.  they dont have overly tough skin and bone, but they do have an immanence amount of stamina and can run far after the shot. i have seen a few well placed rifle shots at close range and the bear still take a 100 yard run before piling up. in thick woods this could be a tracking nightmare.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#2]
The AR10 sounds perfect.

Bears will fall with smaller cartridges but if that's what you have, it will work. My Grendel dropped a 300lb black bear at 130yds like a sack of taters.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Already have 3 different  bears coming  in.  I'll post pics later if I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top