Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2016 3:32:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wbundy]
I had a chance to go hound hunting with a good friend this last fall in my home state of Idaho, where I took a great old boar with my bow.
Thought i'd share it with some fellow Arfcommers. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRw2yu9sdT0
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing!  Do the bears ever try to fight it out with the dogs or do they always run up a tree?  How would you get them out of the tree if they don't fall to the ground?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:31:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wbundy] [#2]
Some bears just run, others fight like crazy. This boar I killed was a fighter. He ran into a deep canyon to gain a point of advantage and began to fight the dogs hard! 5 out of the 6 hounds were injured. Some had bite marks in their backs and necks. The bear bit one of the dogs so hard on the throat that it crushed the GPS tracking device on the collar. The old female red dog at the end of the video is limping pretty bad. She sustained the worst injuries, you can see a flap of skin hanging down off her chest as she walks out. The bear swiped her with it's claws and ripped her open. Luckily we were camped with a vetrinarian. :)
As for your other question, like my buddy said in the video, if the bear had died on a limb up there, we would have had to hike out and get 40ft worth of tree stand pegs to get up that tree and kick him out. It's not fun. I'm really glad he died so fast, and fell clear of the tree.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thesandstertx:
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing!  Do the bears ever try to fight it out with the dogs or do they always run up a tree?  How would you get them out of the tree if they don't fall to the ground?
View Quote

I've had them stuck in a tree. It's part of hound hunting of not knowing what's going to happen or how it will pan out.  Also, usually only good dogs can get a bear in a tree, or at bay. Some dogs just run the Bears and not actually catch them

Good bear and vid op
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice vid  What did he square?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beerswimmer:
Nice vid  What did he square?
View Quote

I'm not exactly sure yet. I didn't measure him before I took him in. It was hot and I wanted to get him taken care of ASAP. I measured his skull at 19 9/16" after 90 days.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Great video thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top