Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2015 3:23:05 PM EDT
I would like to go some time this year up in Maine and it will be my first bear hunt. I think that I would like to hunt over bait but I am open to hunting with dogs. I will be using a .308 or a 30/30 lever gun. I was hoping that some of you might have some info/recommendations on a good guide service and any info for a new bear hunter
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in Maine for a few years, you'll need to head up to northern Maine for a decent bear, by decent I mean anything over 250lbs, which is small in my eyes. I'd probably use a .308 just for the fact that ammo variety is plentiful. Any good bonded bullet is good. Granted the woods are so think shots of 100+ yards are rare. Make sure the wind favors you as bears have excellent noses and you'll do ok. I am not sure if baiting is legal in maine so actually seeing one can be tough. But a bear skin rug is never out of style.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I think if I was going to pay for a lower 48 guided bear hunt, it be Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, except I went to Western WY......in sight of Idaho but technically still in WY.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Maine has great bear hunting but like said above , they arnt huge. You may be disappointed to see nothing but 100 lb bears sitting for a week over bait. Hounds have a much better chance seeing a big bear in Maine but not guaranteed . I shot a 340 dressed in northern Maine and it took me till the Very last day of the hunt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Squapan Mountain Outfitters!  I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them again!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mike103:
I did a dog bear hunt in Maine several years ago.

Even though I got a bear on the last day I Can't  recommend the guide. The hounds men from West Virginia and North Carolina were great and were the only reason I got one. The guide did nothing for me.

Mine was 260 pounds and I got to say that after getting a rug I would not want a bigger one. They take up a lot of room.

We chased small bears all week 50 to 100 pounds. The little ones don't tree. One even jumped in a lake and started swimming. We were able to grab a row boat from a lake house and rowed next to the bear. Lots of fun.

The guild and hounds man had a fight and were not going to hunt on the last day. I went to their camp and asked them to hunt for me and they did.

The guide from the camp, not the owner, was a dick to me when we were catching up to the dogs when the bear treed. He said really stupid stuff to me like " you better get your shit together. You got to shoot this bear and not fuck up" and other shit I can't remember. I asked him if the bear was going to have a gun. That shut him up.

It was a very easy shot to the head with a 35 Whelen. Could have used a 22 magnum.
View Quote

now a days a non resident hounds man cant hunt without a Maine guide by their side. my hunt was similar but without the fighting. i could tell the hounds man and guide had different opinions but they kept cool most of the week. i gota say i couldnt have done it without these hounds man though, they really did their work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top