Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2014 3:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terminal-Lance]
which caliber would you use for a black bear hunt?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
With the right bullet they both are fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You will notice very little difference in on game performance.  So use which ever one you are most comfortable with and shoot the best.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are old excellent cartridges, just pick the right projectile type and sight your rifle in.  I've owned both in military bolt and auto loaders.

CD
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A properly placed well constructed bullet from either chambering will work well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If it was a big bear I'd use he 7mm with 175s.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Bullets matter far more than headstamps.

Focus on the bullet first.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Both are old excellent cartridges, just pick the right projectile type and sight your rifle in.  I've owned both in military bolt and auto loaders.

CD
View Quote

Auto loaded 7x57? No shi....? I guess anything is possible, but I never imagined someone would do that with this round.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cooperstank:

Auto loaded 7x57? No shi....? I guess anything is possible, but I never imagined someone would do that with this round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cooperstank:
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD

Venezuelian model FN49, also known as the SAFN, father to the FN FAL.  Correct chambered in 7x57.

CD
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grom69] [#9]
missed quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 65Creed:
Bullets matter far more than headstamps.

Focus on the bullet first.
View Quote

this is the correct responce
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762libertarian] [#11]
It is very important that you post pictures of both rifles.

Also, the moon gravity that bears exert this time of year might limit the maximum penetration of the 7 mm bullet, so I'd go with a fast and tough 6,5 mm bullet that can punch through really well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:07:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m47181] [#12]
I have a CZ 550s and it would do well on bear. it has a flat trajectory good ballistics and the recoil is not bad at all. I like the hornady ammo the best the remington is garbage

here is a 6.5 kill
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive never killed one but ive hunted blackbears with my ruger m77mkll in 7x57 with handloaded 175 grain interlock sp.

With a 4x leupold or with the peep sight I installed its a great stalking gun and the above load hammers deer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top