Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2013 9:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPatriot1776]
I plan on going bear hunting with a guide this fall for the first time.

I will be carrying a Marlin 1895G. What ammo would you recommend for bear? I have several different kinds of 45-70, but what characteristics make the best 45-70 bear round?

I will have a scout scope set up for the gun. Any problems with that set up?

If I am lucky enough to get one, what about the costs of taxidermy and butchering?

My kids want the claws...
My wife wants a bear skin blanket or throw..
We want to try eating the meat....
I would like the head mounted, or just have the skull cleaned .

Any idea what the above would cost me roughly?

Any recommendations on how to prepare?

Thanks for your help.

PS - I will be bringing a Marlin 444 ported guide gun as a back up gun if the 1895G should fail or become damaged on the hunt. Same set up. Enough gun with the right ammo? Ammo recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you hunting & will you be spot & stalk or hunting over bait?
I shot mine with my bow, black bears are not hard to kill.

I had mine made into a rug withe the head on & had the skull cleaned, I forget what I paid to have that done, it was several years ago.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The old 405 Remys did good on my black bear.

Put a good size hole in him and everything inside was jelly.

If they have been on berries they are very good.

Sausage is damn good.

Make sure you cook the meat well done.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Hornady LeverEvolution in my 1895 sbl. I witnessed that round punch through a 7 foot grizz which sold me on that round.
Depending on where you are and where you get the rug done it could cost up to 1500 or so?  In Alaska the place I get my meat processing done runs around 70 cents a pound. Bear sausage and salami is good stuff if they've been feeding on berries.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be in a tree stand.

I am surprised that the LeverRevolution ammo did as well as a previous poster stated.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#5]
Don't over think ammunition for bear, black bear are not thick skinned and with few big boars at 600 lbs pretty much any game bullet from the 45-70 will serve you well.

Prepping the animal after a kill is just like any animal, the sooner you can get the guts out and ice packed in the cavity the better.

For all that taxidermy you are looking at $1000+

I have seen butcher prices range from $100-$400 depending on how much sausage and jerky you have made.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have killed several black bear.

If you are hunting over bait your shots will probably be with in 50 yards.

The Hornady 325 Lever Evolution ammo should do fine, as will any factory 350gr bullet such as Buffalo Bore or CorBon.

Bear meat is very good to eat. I always process my own meat, so I cannot help you with price there. Where are you doing this hunt???   I would call some  local taxidermist and get a price from them.

I would have a rug made with the skull on a plaque.

The scout scope should work fine, I have killed all my bears over bait with ironsights except for one. My brother used a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun with scout scope for his bear.

Expect the bear to run aways after being hit. Most do. However I have had a couple drop to the shot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the whole family is into the hunt     Your choice of caliber will serve you well...shot placement is critical as with any big game animal.

As far as the meat the thing I tell hunters about bear meat is to cool it ASAP. We have been known to throw the carcass in a lake or stream to draw the heat out...this may sound extreme but consider the fact that the animal insulates itself very well. I have seen loss of meat from a carcass taken out of a walk in cooler...too bad the hide was left on. Around here we are lucky to have a taxidermist who will skin and cool your bear for a price. If this service is offered in your area consider it as the meat is delicious if properly cared for in the field.

Taxidermy is not cheap...well, good taxidermy is not cheap. Skull cleaning should be around 100.00. I have a few bear hides around that were tanned but never finished to a rug...it's kinda nice in that aspect as you can always finish the project at a later date but be prepared to spend 3 to 4 hundred on a good tan...make sure the tannery tumbles the finished product... If you need a number for a topnotch tann pm me and I will hook you up...shipping will add a considerable cost.

Please do not throw out the ribs during the butcher process as BBQ bear ribs are to die for    as far as that goes any grilled / BBQ bear is good. I also like to can the stuff and don't forget to grind the trimmings for bear burger...makes EXCELLENT chili!

One thing about the claws... be careful about removing the claws from the hide. I don't remember if it's a local thing or federal but it seems to me they have to be intact in our state.

GOOD LUCK. Keep us posted and enjoy your hunt...play the wind game, be patient. Sometimes the big boar comes in last.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Update?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPatriot1776] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
Update?  
View Quote

My 14 year son and I went. I told him he would get the first shot at anything. He had never had a successful hunt of any kind before.

He shot a 110 lb bear through both of the lungs and heart with a Marlin 336 in 30-30.

I would have preferred a larger one for him, but with essentially a bear hunting ban referendum coming up in November, we are happy he got something.

We are going to have a rug done and have a European style skull mount done. Meat is in the freezer.

I was very proud of him. He did everything perfectly...including gutting it.

BTW. I saved his shell casing of the 30-30. I want to do something special with it for him. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I just did a full mount on my Black beer and its spectacular, truly a trophy peice. That being said it was 4200$ and my wife just about killed me when I did it.
As stated earlier bears aren't some Armored tank rolling around the forest, they can be brought down with a well placed shot every time if you do your part and make sure your rifle is zeroed and apply the fundamentals of marksmanship when shooting. Mine came down with 1 .308 round properly placed and it weighed over 450 lbs.

A well done rug will run you about a grand depending on the size of the bear, a skull will be a few hundred, with a full head mount being 500-800$ depending on the taxidermist. Most guides will have a guy they recommend, usually they are reputable but expensive. fall bear is the best tasting bear as they have been fattening up for winter, however their fur can be a little rough, especially the boars if they have been fighting. The meat if done right can me delicious, if you screw it up it'll be nasty, consult some of the good folks here for good recipes.

Good luck, there's something about hunting a predator like a bear that is really special as they present some challenges that a deer or elk don't. Make sure he doesn't wind you, bears aren't stupid and won't risk being seen if man musk is in the air.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:

My 14 year son and I went. I told him he would get the first shot at anything. He had never had a successful hunt of any kind before.

He shot a 110 lb bear through both of the lungs and heart with a Marlin 336 in 30-30.

I would have preferred a larger one for him, but with essentially a bear hunting ban referendum coming up in November, we are happy he got something.

We are going to have a rug done and have a European style skull mount done. Meat is in the freezer.

BTW. I saved his shell casing of the 30-30. I want to do something special with it for him. Any suggestions?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
Update?  

Congrats to your son nothing wrong with that picture. A euro mount will look good on a raised or extended wall plaque. As for the empty case...affix it to the plaque right next to the brass plate with the details...hope you kept those ribs... BBQ bear ribs are a real treat. As for the other cuts, try an oven bag with mandarin oranges, apples and cajun spice. Slice the cut thin and do the roll and tie thing. And like the other fellow said, cook it like pork...cuz it is...just better.    
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, congrats to your son..and don't feel bad that he got a smaller bear first time out..my first bear(grizzly) ended up going #51 in SCI when I took it years back..So ever since I have just taken friends and tried to help them get theirs.. mine squared 9'2" and on normal walls(I rugged it) it sucks because it ends up with a paw on the ceiling and 1 on the floor.........
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE -

Finally got the bear rug back from the taxidermist.

Had it laid out on the floor this Christmas morning. My so loved it.

We had the skull bleached and it sits in his bedroom now.

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome, pics?

UPDATE -

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BriggsRi:
Awesome, pics?

View All Quotes
Awesome, pics?

UPDATE -

Yes, pics please.

Als, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the carpet?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 2ndamendmentknights:

Yes, pics please.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2ndamendmentknights:
Awesome, pics?

UPDATE -

Yes, pics please.

mine is 250 a foot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top